Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

He ***** as highly as anybody in Wome!

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Off on a mini holibob to the eternal city and have just arrived.

Oh great sages of NSC thrill me with your suggestions of things to do off the beaten track.

I asked some DULLARD the work colleagues the same question to differing responses. One special case said "hmm, went last year, it was brilliant I highly recommend you check out that big stadium thing (Colosseum) and probably go for a pizza on one of the big squares....

.....no shit Sherlock. Bit like going to Paris and coming back saying the best bit was the big pointy thing.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Neither of mine are fantastically obscure, but they're pretty decent things to do.

Have a wonder through Trastevere in the evening. Rome's North Laine. Try Da Gildo for somewhere to eat.

Get out to Ostia - the best Roman site of any I've seen, and that includes the big stadium thing.

Hope you have a great time.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
If you haven't already, get a good map (not too small scale) and then just start walking. Have a great time.

This is actually the best advice for Rome. Just walk around and go in to the old churches. One of the great cities.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Agree with everyone on the walking advice, saw more things by accident doing this...!

We did a bike tour of the Appian way which was brilliant. included bike hire, tour guide and a wine/cheese stop!
They have standard mountain bikes and electric powered bicycles too, there were a couple of old fat Americans on our tour who managed fine on these.
It takes you through the city, out onto the Appian way and then back past the Aqueducts.

http://www.topbikerental.com/nuovosito/eng/tour-rome/appian-way.php

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This is actually the best advice for Rome. Just walk around and go in to the old churches. One of the great cities.

Yes! The churches are brilliant.

Chiesa Sant'Agostino has a top notch Caravaggio and a Raphael, for example. There's another with a stunning ceiling.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Yes! The churches are brilliant.

Chiesa Sant'Agostino has a top notch Caravaggio and a Raphael, for example. There's another with a stunning ceiling.

Yep and the church in the converted Roman Baths of Caracalla (spelling?) near the Termini station just for the scale of the place. The Pantheon is a must. The Gesu, not so far from Piazza Navona is totally over the top and worth seeing. Well any church in Rome is worth at least a quick look.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
The Vatican is a must but (obviously) very crowded - more art there than you can shake a stick at
Castell Sant Angelo is good too as is the Jewish Quarter
Just wander - it's quite a small city and you can see most of the interesting bits in a couple of days
Oh and don't forget to have your picture taken with a centurion !

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
The hidden churches is one of the things that blew me away the most. You walk up to a very un assuming entrance to a church and you walk in to see the most magnificent churches I've ever seen.

I can't remember the name of the area but in the bit on the map where there river snakes round there are a whole load of narrow lanes and side streets with restaurants and bars on which we absolutely loved.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
There's a room somewhere in the Vatican (can't remember the name of it) that's got a pretty decent picture on the ceiling - not sure many people know about it, so should be quite quiet if you can track it down.

Oh, and 'holibob'? Vaffanculo, as the Italians say.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We were there in June, when the Brexit vote took place.

Can't really add to the advice already given. Did a lot of walking. Make sure you are well hydrated. We took one of the tourist buses from the square near the station.

On the subject of Brexit. Rome is not a cheap city. We were on an exchange rate of 1.29 euro to the £. prior to the vote. If it's near parity now, bring plenty of dosh.

Enjoy.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I enjoyed the crumbling ancient buildings, pillars and statues at the Forum - next to the 'stadium', nice and peaceful away from the traffic.

Also fountains: Piazza Navona and Trevi (3 Coins in the Fountain, so you will return - but warning: tripadvisor says extremely busy during the day; lit up at night).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here