Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strimmer help/advice needed

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Can anyone recommend a strimmer that works for longer than a few seconds and doesn't need to be 'fixed' because it has hit something thicker than a blade of grass.

Needs to be a reasonable price as well.

Thanking you all in advance

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Best buy a Sthil then and get a bladed type. Not that nylon string Rubbish

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I've got a Stihl. You can change the cutting heads, I've got a circular saw blade on mine at the moment which cuts down everything (trees, garden sheds, people) except grass.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just get some edging shears. You can get horizontal bladed ones as well as vertical. Tend not to break, they give your arms a bit of a workout and the only maintenance require is the occasional spot of 3 in 1. Sorted.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I had endless problems with a petrol strimmer so recently popped down to Screwfix and spend about £60 on their own-branded rechargeable version. Very light to use and no problems with the cord which autofeeds well - or you can easily click out a bit of extra length if needed. It wouldn't be strong enough for heavy work but gives me at least half an hour on each charge and that is more than adequate to keep a fairly large garden tidy.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
As long as you don't buy a cassette machine. You can buy different thickness and types of strimmer line. The older the self feeding models get, the more the self feed deteriorates.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Got a rechargeable Bosch with plastic blades.Light weight,blades refit easy if you hit your big toe (ouch),and charge lasts 45 minutes of heavy use.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I got one of these last year on the recommendation of someone I know who uses strimmer's daily for work.

https://www.tysonmowers.co.uk/efco-ds2400-s-brushcutter

It really is superb although a bit pricey. Comes with your typical nylon feed head, and the bump feed & load facility is brilliant. It also comes with a steel tri-blade for use on brambles, nettles etc. The bit I like most though is that you don't have to pull the cord to start it, you just hold the cord handle and drop the machine and hey presto. I'd tried cheaper ones from Screwfix, Homebase etc. but they don't last.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Just get some edging shears. You can get horizontal bladed ones as well as vertical. Tend not to break, they give your arms a bit of a workout and the only maintenance require is the occasional spot of 3 in 1. Sorted.

Thank you for that, I was obviously confused with my requirements

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
I had endless problems with a petrol strimmer so recently popped down to Screwfix and spend about £60 on their own-branded rechargeable version. Very light to use and no problems with the cord which autofeeds well - or you can easily click out a bit of extra length if needed. It wouldn't be strong enough for heavy work but gives me at least half an hour on each charge and that is more than adequate to keep a fairly large garden tidy.

Thank you, I quite like the bit about clicking out a bit of extra length if needed.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
I read this as stripper advice and was expecting a much more exciting thread.

I can understand your disappointment, perhaps the use of a vivid imagination may help when thinking about strimming.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Try changing the strimmer nylon for a thinner more flexible type before you lay out for a new one, did the trick for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here