Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The customer isn't always right

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was out having a meal last night and the gent on the next table wanted his steak well done. After a "discussion" he settled on medium :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Usually standard protocol for elderly Brexiters

He was probably frustrated at the lack of tomato soup as a starter as well.

(I do like an early morning sneer)

WATFORD zero

Jul 10, 2003
This is f***wittery on a scale that should be on the bellcheeses thread.

If you were a brain surgeon then i would listen to your advice, but you're not, you're a cook. So go and f***ing cook what i have ordered and am paying for.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

If you were a brain surgeon then i would listen to your advice, but you're not, you're a cook. So go and f***ing cook what i have ordered and am paying for.

This. 100%.

I've never understood the reticence of some chefs and waiters to actually agree to provide the food how you've ordered it. If you don't want to have to put yourself through cooking a steak well done then don't work in a restaurant.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

To be fair it was a fancy restaurant and the chef does have a reputation to uphold.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone remember Won Kees? They didn't take any shit. I was told "If you don't want Heinecken you go elsewhere" when daring to ask what alternative lager they had.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My dad liked his steak well done. He sent one back once to be done a bit more and the chef made a point of delivering it himself to note his disgust at having been asked to burn it. The waiter then muttered "ruined" and tutted every time he passed the table.

My dad thought the steak was perfectly cooked, but the overall experience meant no tip and no future visit.

Some customer service staff really don't have a clue.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
This. 100%.

I've never understood the reticence of some chefs and waiters to actually agree to provide the food how you've ordered it. If you don't want to have to put yourself through cooking a steak well done then don't work in a restaurant.

I used to be a chef and the head chef would outright refuse to cook steak well done, it is like going in to a garage and asking him to put the steering wheel off at a 15 degree angle... It's just not cricket...

WATFORD zero

Jul 10, 2003
To be fair it was a fancy restaurant and the chef does have a reputation to uphold.

What a reputation for buying a good quality bit of meat and whacking it in a pan ? It's not rocket science. Two weeks at catering college and a certificate

No, No you don't understand, his steak was to die for ???

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a reputation for buying a good quality bit of meat and whacking it in a pan ? Two weeks at catering college and a certificate

No, No you don't understand, his steak was to die for ???

If it's so simple why is there such huge variations in quality of steaks?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I used to be a chef and the head chef would outright refuse to cook steak well done, it is like going in to a garage and asking him to put the steering wheel off at a 15 degree angle... It's just not cricket...

You see, I don't understand that. Personally, I enjoy my steak rare to medium-rare but if someone wants to eat theirs well done and is paying for it, what's the issue?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My dad liked his steak well done. He sent one back once to be done a bit more and the chef made a point of delivering it himself to note his disgust at having been asked to burn it. The waiter then muttered "ruined" and tutted every time he passed the table.

My dad thought the steak was perfectly cooked, but the overall experience meant no tip and no future visit.

Some customer service staff really don't have a clue.
Many years ago, my friend and I were dining at the Gun Inn. Similarly to your dad, he likes a well done steak. He sent his back twice to the consternation of the waiter who was evidently nervous about asking the chef to cook it some more, in his reluctance to send it back, he tried to argue. In the end, he came back saying the chef was crying in the kitchen. Although I love rare steak myself, it's ridiculous that my friend had all of that performance in order to enjoy the meal that he, after all, was paying for.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
You see, I don't understand that. Personally, I enjoy my steak rare to medium-rare but if someone wants to eat theirs well done and is paying for it, what's the issue?

It depends where you are, if you're in a beefeater or harvester, knock yourself out tbh If I was in either of those I would probably lean towards well done. But in a real restaurant that as someone mentioned above has a reputation to uphold these chefs are proud of their produce and its flavour and when you cook a steak well done it just eradicates all flavour from it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here