Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drinking and hang overs

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
So I've lived a fairly normal life. As a youngster I would go out with friends and enjoy myself and never really suffered with hangovers.

However now in my mid thirties I drink far less often but when I do I drink a moderate amount. I now suffer terrible hangovers.

Anyone got any advice on how to enjoy a drink without suffering hang overs?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
So I've lived a fairly normal life. As a youngster I would go out with friends and enjoy myself and never really suffered with hangovers.

However now in my mid thirties I drink far less often but when I do I drink a moderate amount. I now suffer terrible hangovers.

Other than the boring stuff about drinking less, or interspersing alcoholic ones with non-alcoholic ones? No.

Best advice I can think of is to have a bottle or two of some sort of isotonic drink, like Lucozade Sport, on the side for when you get in after a session. Alcohol dehydrates you, and I believe reduces your salt levels accordingly (hence headaches, cramp and so on). Drinking a load of plain water when you get in won't necessarily resolve this, as it merely dilutes your salt levels further. I try and knock back one of said bottles of isotonic stuff after a few drinks, as they're designed to replenish lost salt and STUFF. Works for me :thumbsup:

Life is cruel though. I think it was when I got to about thirty five that I noticed hangovers were suddenly becoming more painful. Painful enough to make me change drinking habits considerably.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Other than the boring stuff about drinking less, or interspersing alcoholic ones with non-alcoholic ones? No.

Best advice I can think of is to have a bottle or two of some sort of isotonic drink, like Lucozade Sport, on the side for when you get in after a session. Alcohol dehydrates you, and I believe reduces your salt levels accordingly (hence headaches, cramp and so on). Drinking a load of plain water when you get in won't necessarily resolve this, as it merely dilutes your salt levels further. I try and knock back one of said bottles of isotonic stuff after a few drinks, as they're designed to replenish lost salt and STUFF. Works for me :thumbsup:

Life is cruel though. I think it was when I got to about thirty five that I noticed hangovers were suddenly becoming more painful. Painful enough to make me change drinking habits considerably.

Good advice, but....

how-to-avoid-hangover-letter-from-drunk-self-steven-davidson-1a.jpg

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I'm in a very similar boat. What Edna said, but also I've found that drinking plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated really helps. I've recently downloaded an app for my phone that helps me drink sufficient water/liquids everyday and additionally for each alcoholic drink I consume it adjusts the amount to counter the dehydrating effect of the alcohol. If I stick to drinking the correct amount of water every day I feel like the hangovers almost disappear.

On a side note I noticed that most days before I started using the app taking into account alcohol I was probably only consuming around 20-30% of the recommended amount of water.

PS. The app is called My Water if you're interested

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Although I like a good glass of red and enjoy real ale, I find that in my job, it's not worth drinking at all.
When I drive to and from work early doors about 0600, there's plenty of the Met Fed's about that time of the morning.
Don't get hang overs due to above.
Life's a ******* :)

Last edited:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7553256 said:
I'm in a very similar boat. What Edna said, but also I've found that drinking plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated really helps. I've recently downloaded an app for my phone that helps me drink sufficient water/liquids everyday and additionally for each alcoholic drink I consume it adjusts the amount to counter the dehydrating effect of the alcohol. If I stick to drinking the correct amount of water every day I feel like the hangovers almost disappear.

On a side note I noticed that most days before I started using the app taking into account alcohol I was probably only consuming around 20-30% of the recommended amount of water.

PS. The app is called My Water if you're interested

many thanks, dowloading now

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I'm in my late 30's and suffer the complete opposite to you - I don't suffer any these days when as a youngster I'd have some hellish ones.

I've always put it down to the fact that, unlike in my early 20's, I now exercise a lot and am very fit and now, unlike then, I don't smoke. I never drink on an empty stomach and I drink a lot of water anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Good advice, but....

that is proper laugh out loud, especially the change of handwriting and errors.

addition to the excellent sports drink advise, a soft drink or two during the night is a great way to keep the nastier headaches at bay. even as a mixer can help if you don't want to look lightweight.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Down a pint of water in one when at the bar ordering another round. Do that a couple of times and you will be on the right side of a hangover. No need to pay me or the barman for this

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I can achieve a hangover on British beer after a couple of pints.. I can drink Czech beer all night and not get a hangover. Ive no idea what goes into British beer these days, but its not good.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Drink lots of water throughout the night in between alcoholic drinks.

Drink a pint of water when you get in with two paracetamol.

Drink another pint when you wake up along with two more paracetamol.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Drink lots of water throughout the night in between alcoholic drinks.

Drink a pint of water when you get in with two paracetamol.

Drink another pint when you wake up along with two more paracetamol.

Agree re the painkillers (I forgot to mention that!) but worth bearing in mind about the salt levels/ sports drinks. Water might help avoid sickness, but the sports drinks seem to be more impactive in terms of headaches.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Drink bottles, less chance of cleaning chemicals in pumps. And go for spirits over larger, nurse a dark rum and coke. Also have a decent meal before you go out if you can.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Drink bottles, less chance of cleaning chemicals in pumps.

flaw in this plan is the implied consumption of lager, which tend to be worse for hangovers and often have undesirable chemicals in them. cask ale is a better bet for hangover avoidance as it contains more vitamin Bs, the destruction of these by alcohol metabolism contributes to the hangover. this of course has to be balanced against the other effects of a yeasty pint... wheat beer is an interesting compromise as it has more protein/vit B so should counteract the hangover, i have done extensive studying on the subject but results so far are inconclusive.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Just be grateful you didn't suffer when you were younger, mine have always been terrible.

100% this. I've had to take two Anadin Extra and a pint or two of water after drinking ever since I was a teenager to ward of appalling hangovers. Now into my forties I've basically given up drinking because even one pint can give me a bad hangover, and that's with taking pills and drinking loads of water (even with dioralyte sometimes) plus eating loads before bed, as ridiculous as that might sound to some. Even doing a pint of water for every pint of beer in the pub doesn't help.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
flaw in this plan is the implied consumption of lager, which tend to be worse for hangovers and often have undesirable chemicals in them. cask ale is a better bet for hangover avoidance as it contains more vitamin Bs, the destruction of these by alcohol metabolism contributes to the hangover. this of course has to be balanced against the other effects of a yeasty pint... wheat beer is an interesting compromise as it has more protein/vit B so should counteract the hangover, i have done extensive studying on the subject but results so far are inconclusive.

I only drink bottled cider.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here