Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who's going to win the southern combination premiere?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Watched Newhaven get mauled by Haywards Heath 1-6 at Newhaven:eek:,Shoreham also looking strong this season,should be a good contest this season!

Early days and not a great start but I fancied Eastbourne Town at the start of the season.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's good to see Haywards Heath on the up again.

When I was a youngster, they were always in the top division of the County league. They sacked Dave John (who went on to do well at Hassocks) to bring in Swindlehurst from Palace. He was clueless and promptly got the team relegated. They struggled in the lower leagues since.

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Is this what used to be the County League?

And if so, how on earth are Haywards Heath in the top division? I thought they'd been floundering around in the third division for years.

Speaking of the Heath, I live within spitting distance of St Francis Rangers, who I believe were statistically one of the worst teams in Britain last season. I might wander over the road and watch them this time round when there's a free weekend. Just to see if they're as bad as their results indicate.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
billocks rumbled! Was that you in the polo neck and cords?:whistle:

:wave:

VgBGuxV7_400x400.jpeg

Is this what used to be the County League?

And if so, how on earth are Haywards Heath in the top division? I thought they'd been floundering around in the third division for years.

Speaking of the Heath, I live within spitting distance of St Francis Rangers, who I believe were statistically one of the worst teams in Britain last season. I might wander over the road and watch them this time round when there's a free weekend. Just to see if they're as bad as their results indicate.

A bit late for st francis as they have up their game for this season:moo:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Haywards Heath visit Crowborough tonight in the Sussex Senior cup. Should be a decent game. Crowborough had a cash injection over the summer so started the season with a lot of new players who after a good pre season didn't seem to gel when it came down to it. After a bit of a hit and miss start they have started scoring goals for fun (13 in their last two league games). Heath are flying in the county league (or whatever its called now) and also seem to like scoring. Should be a decent game.

Anyone seen Shoreham?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Haywards Heath visit Crowborough tonight in the Sussex Senior cup. Should be a decent game. Crowborough had a cash injection over the summer so started the season with a lot of new players who after a good pre season didn't seem to gel when it came down to it. After a bit of a hit and miss start they have started scoring goals for fun (13 in their last two league games). Heath are flying in the county league (or whatever its called now) and also seem to like scoring. Should be a decent game.

Anyone seen Shoreham?

Well that's now got 0-0 written all over it

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do Haywards Heath pay well as in 1994 they offered a lad who played for the team at my pub in Midhurst £75 a game plus travelling expenses. He eventually joined a team nearer home.

Anyone seen Shoreham?

Saw Shoreham pre-season looking strong with Keehan,Pearson from Burgess Hill and O'toole from the heath,saw The heath destroy Newhaven with the cheeky chappy Max Miller and Callum Saunders ripping them apart! Seen Eastbourne united who could be the dark horses this season?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Well that's now got 0-0 written all over it

Probably. :thumbsup:

I'll report back in the morning.

Do Haywards Heath pay well as in 1994 they offered a lad who played for the team at my pub in Midhurst £75 a game plus travelling expenses. He eventually joined a team nearer home.

Looking at the players they have I would say almost certainly (but I don't know for sure). Very few teams even at that level can compete without spending a few quid.

Saw Shoreham pre-season looking strong with Keehan,Pearson from Burgess Hill and O'toole from the heath,saw The heath destroy Newhaven with the cheeky chappy Max Miller and Callum Saunders ripping them apart! Seen Eastbourne united who could be the dark horses this season?

:thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to it tonight. Be interesting to see how the two leagues compare.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that was quite a lot in 1994 for a then County League team. I know one player who played for Midhurst who didnt get paid but his dad was the manager of a building firm and recorded him as doing overtime all day Saturday so that the firm paid him and he played for Midhurst. This only stopped when he went to another club who paid him to play.

Tim Over Whelmed

Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Alas it won't be Arundel this year! Last year was very odd, seeing Horsham FC in the league, how the mighty had fallen, but thankfully appear to be on the up.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes I think they do.
Was pretty well documented last season during their troubles that St Francis were the only team that weren't paying I think?

Set up at HH is improving rapidly. Off the pitch they have developed the ground a lot in the last couple of years (installed an astro training pitch, made a proper car park for example)

Yes I think they do.
Was pretty well documented last season during their troubles that St Francis were the only team that weren't paying I think?

Set up at HH is improving rapidly. Off the pitch they have developed the ground a lot in the last couple of years (installed an astro training pitch, made a proper car park for example)

Parking down the side where the old stand was back in the day:down: A full size astro would have been a great source of income but alas not the room or money.Good to see the the main stand fully open again:)

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Parking down the side where the old stand was back in the day:down: A full size astro would have been a great source of income but alas not the room or money.Good to see the the main stand fully open again:)
Pitch is in good nick too.......watched a couple of games this season (ressies - junior plays for them). U18 and below setup looks to be improving too, guy who runs it is ace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here