Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Outside Toilets

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
No this isn’t a thread about where tonight's Northern visitors to the Amex do their toilet, it’s about the total lack of toilets outside the stadium.

My 6 year old boy was caught short before the Forest game while we were standing enjoying the music from the band stand and soaking up the sun. I took him to the other bar (Not Dicks) where last season they kindly let us use the toilet. This season I was told sorry you need a membership, I had heard this might be the case. So asked where can he go and the bouncer said “sorry no other loo, you’ll have to enter the stadium.” I was a bit surprised and thankfully he took pity on us and let the boy use the loo in the end.

I love the fact we can get to the stadium early and enjoy what is on offer, it the nice weather it's one of the best bits watching the fans arrive and the atmosphere build, also we spend money outside on Drink and food so hopefully that helps the club. I am very grateful they provide what they already do.

All good in the end but that got me to thinking, surely the club can’t expect to provide food and drink outside and not provide appropriate toilet facilities. Is there not laws about places supplying food and drink must provide toilets? Southampton FC have loos you can access from outside the ground but failing building some loos can they not provide a few portaloos? There is plenty of room outside to put a couple in. Not a big issue but not nice if you are Disabled, old and infirm or young and unable to hold on and there is no loo to hand.

On the plus side I think that the Bandstand, bits for the kids to shoot footballs, Gully, Sammy etc are brilliant and a hell of a lot more that at most grounds so i'm aware they do lost of nice things for us already. We are lucky in so many ways but a couple of loos would help.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think the op has a point. Unfortunately after a long journey to the match on Friday, I wanted to listen to the band and maybe have a sneaky drink, but I needed the loo and so that little avenue of pleasure was cut short. All would have been well had there been an outside loo.

Totally agree.

I like to have a few pints before the game outside Brighton, by the time we get to the stadium I'm normally busting so have to go straight in.

Would be nice to sample the atmosphere outside pre-match but sadly my bladder as I've got older dictates things.

theboybilly

I think the op has a point. Unfortunately after a long journey to the match on Friday, I wanted to listen to the band and maybe have a sneaky drink, but I needed the loo and so that little avenue of pleasure was cut short. All would have been well had there been an outside loo.

This thread reminds me of the horror that is the 'outside' loo that we had to endure inside the ground at The Valley in April. We are so lucky at the Amex

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is there not laws about places supplying food and drink must provide toilets?

There is no requirement for a place offering food or drink to offer toilet facilities BUT there is if it's got a licence to serve alcohol - which obviously applies to the Amex. I wonder if the club could get around this by saying that there are toilets inside but that would mean offering re-entry to the ground. It's an interesting legal point

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
And if you use the loos in the stadium, the stewards won't let you out to see the bands anyway. As I found when we played Arsenal a couple of seasons ago.

Though judging by the queues on Friday, you'd be lucky to get a beer anyway.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
My boy did have a "wild wee" as we refer to it after the Rugby at the Amex last year. I can imagine stewards turning a blind eye if it's a kid but I bet I'd get my collar felt if I had done it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
This thread reminds me of the horror that is the 'outside' loo that we had to endure inside the ground at The Valley in April. We are so lucky at the Amex

Memories of the toilet at the back of the North Stand at the Goldstone :lolol:
Horrendous!!

Seriously, I entirely agree with the OP.
After a 3-4 hour drive I've never been able to enjoy the Fan Zone as my bladder is always busting!

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
One fairly easy solution could be those circular urinal things you find in some parts of London, which cater for a few people at a time, all facing inward to the centre of the unit. Yes, open air but sure most wouldn't care... it's a very good point though, with the increase of food, drink and activity outside the stadium... The other option might be to repurpose one of the NS toilets, closing off the door in the concourse and knocking through to the outside. Not sure how easy/practical that would be. Wembley Stadium for example has toilets accessible from outside - not that there's ever much going on directly outside the stadium.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I have often thought this, I have had to go in to the stadium earlier than I wanted on several occasions due to a few many ales and a weak bladder.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Quite a few stadiums have fan zones etc outside of grounds nowadays but do any have toilet facilities.

I would imagine the costs of hiring portoloos far outweighs their benefit - anyway surely its up to the caterers to provide them not the club.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Agree with the OP, though I suggested this in the fans' questionnaire at the end of last season. I imagine if enough people had done the same they may have done something about it? Some basic seating would be good too, even if it involved concrete blocks.

Curiously the loo at Charlton has to be one of the best away end loos in the league. The one at the far end anyway. Did you use the one by the entrance?

theboybilly

Agree with the OP, though I suggested this in the fans' questionnaire at the end of last season. I imagine if enough people had done the same they may have done something about it? Some basic seating would be good too, even if it involved concrete blocks.

Curiously the loo at Charlton has to be one of the best away end loos in the league. The one at the far end anyway. Did you use the one by the entrance?

I did indeed Notters. I didn't notice any loos on the far side when I went for a half-time cuppa during the Boxing Day fixture in 2013 so I thought CAFC had just provided the ones near the entrance

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The loos at Falmer station are usually open pre-match. Useful stop-gap measure, I'd have thought.

Yes, the station toilets are open. The loos aren't actually in Dicks Bar, as you turn right at the top of the stairs, instead of left. Surely a steward would let you go in to use them with a child, obviously promising to come straight back down again. If there isn't a queue, I can't see there being a problem, apart from a 'jobsworth', at the door.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
When I watched England in Charloi some years ago they had what looked like big traffic cones in the road. They were temporary and they had three sides with indents for the pee. You stood up against them and peed in the middle of the road, very continental. Could do a job?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here