Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flight Delay wangle

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Son and family just returned from holiday in Tenerife and had a delay going out with Thomas Cook who overcame the flight delay compensation by them boarding the plane after a delay of 2 hrs 48 mins (the limit for compo is 3 hrs) they then kept them on the plane awaiting a take off slot for 2 hours thus avoiding compensation.

Fungus

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 21, 2004
Truro
That doesn't sound right. Suggest you have a look at this: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

Haven't read it all in depth, but it does say:
"Compensation for delays is only due on flights arriving over three hours or more late. How long the delay is determines how much you could be entitled to. Time is money, claim your plane delay compensation

Crucially, this is a straight rule. It's about when you arrive, not when you leave. So if you're on a flight that takes off four hours late but lands 2 hours 55 minutes late, you're not over the three-hour delay needed to be eligible for compensation".

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Download the app 'your passenger rights '! Everything you need to know about claiming!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That doesn't sound right. Suggest you have a look at this: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

Haven't read it all in depth, but it does say:
"Compensation for delays is only due on flights arriving over three hours or more late. How long the delay is determines how much you could be entitled to. Time is money, claim your plane delay compensation

Crucially, this is a straight rule. It's about when you arrive, not when you leave. So if you're on a flight that takes off four hours late but lands 2 hours 55 minutes late, you're not over the three-hour delay needed to be eligible for compensation".

Thanks for that I will look in to it for my son. He just suggested about the delay being less than 3 hours leaving, so obviously not au fait with the ruling.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
What sort of compensation is expected for a 3 hour delay?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Driver8

On the road...
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
What sort of compensation is expected for a 3 hour delay?

Could you be arsed? This constant demand by people desperate to try and make a quick buck by demanding compensation for everything and anything just drives up the prices for everyone else. Did he get whiplash when they took off too?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Could you be arsed? This constant demand by people desperate to try and make a quick buck by demanding compensation for everything and anything just drives up the prices for everyone else. Did he get whiplash when they took off too?

I could not,not for a holiday flight...probably cost more in time effort an most of all phone calls/net fees to get anything worthwhile back..

oddsonlaughter

Jan 24, 2008
I could not,not for a holiday flight...probably cost more in time effort an most of all phone calls/net fees to get anything worthwhile back..

I have before for a flight with Easyjet and it was one letter - that I got a template for and for a group of 5 of us we got over £1500

Far easier I found than the other similar schemes

Son and family just returned from holiday in Tenerife and had a delay going out with Thomas Cook who overcame the flight delay compensation by them boarding the plane after a delay of 2 hrs 48 mins (the limit for compo is 3 hrs) they then kept them on the plane awaiting a take off slot for 2 hours thus avoiding compensation.

You need to make a EU261 claim

It's the arrival time that's important. The departure time is irrelevant.

Tenerife is about 2800KM so you are right that the 3 hour time limit applies here.

The compensation due is €400 per passenger. This is due even is much less than this was paid for the flight.

The arrival time is deemed the moment the door of the aircraft is opened. Check the airport arrival times rather than reply on what Thompson say.

Tell Thompson you would like to make a claim for €400 per passenger as an EU261 claim.

They should deal with it promptly.

The only legitimate reasons for non payment are strike or weather. In either case, such an event must directly affect your flight. In other words they can't get out of it by saying the outbound flight had a weather delay.

If they don't play ball threaten them with proceedings, including a date that proceedings will begin.

If that date comes, make a claim using Money Claim Online (MCOL)

If you arrived over 3 hours late and the delay was not due to weather or industrial action, you will get your money.

PM me if you need any more advice.

In no circumstances use a third party company to claim for you. It's a doddle to do yourself and you will give up a load of your compensation.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Collingburnian

May 13, 2016
Shoreham by Sea
We got 400euros compensation from easyJet for a delayed flight. If the flight lands at its destination three hours after the SCHEDULED time of arrival., then compensation is payable. Your documents will show you the scheduled time of arrival.

Fungus

May 21, 2004
Truro

It depends - I agree with this guy: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays#martinsview

The law behind this is clear cut, the ethics far less so. My usual focus for these type of issues is on reclaiming – asking for money back that was wrongly taken from you. This, however, is compensation, and like many I worry about a growing compensation culture.

This EU ruling has certainly swung the pendulum against airlines. As the cost of the flight is irrelevant to the payout there will be some who paid £20 for a cheap flight, were delayed a few hours that didn't really bother them, yet are entitled to a disproportionate £310 compensation for it.

If everyone did it, this could cripple budget airlines' pricing models, possibly hasten the financial troubles of airlines already struggling in a tough economy and put prices up. Balancing this on the see-saw of right and wrong isn't easy.

If I were rejigging the rules to make it fairer for both travellers and the industry (to keep flight prices down), I'd suggest the compensation paid should be whichever is cheaper – your flight price or the fixed compensation amount set out in law. For example, if you were on a £50 flight and entitled to £310 compensation, you'd get £50. But if your flight cost £300, you'd be entitled to the full £300.

Yet equally, there are many for whom this is valuable financial justice for substandard service on an expensive product.

If you were delayed three hours and a minute and had a great time in the airport bar, I'd say don't go for it. Yet for those who paid £1,000s for flights and spent a dozen hours trapped with upset young children, sleeping on chairs in overheated airports or on planes waiting to take off – I'd say go for it.

Therefore each individual must make their own ethical choice of whether to take up the cudgels and go for the compensation. While the impact on the airline is no reason not to do it, for me it is a reason to first examine whether the compensation you could be due would be truly fair or excessive.

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
Thomson are likely to make an offer worth more than you are due but in vouchers to get you to settle. Don't feel obliged to take it, although if you are sure you will use them can be great. If you refuse he offer they will almost certainly settle without any further debate. There are several on line sites which take all the hassle out of claiming. And yes it is when you arrive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here