Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's with the sly advertising on MOTD then?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Sorry it's a snap/graphic from the filth match albeit they lost, but since when did the BBC have sponsored timing on MOTD then? Is this a new thing or something they are contractually obliged to show within a Premier League highlights deal?

image.jpeg

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sorry it's a snap/graphic from the filth match albeit they lost, but since when did the BBC have sponsored timing on MOTD then? Is this a new thing or something they are contractually obliged to show within a Premier League highlights deal?

View attachment 77151

How many times have you seen athletics on the Beeb when the clock has a sponsor next to it?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
lost Barclays on the titles, gained Tag on the scores. didnt even notice it, was it there through all games?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

Tag are a new Premier League sponsor
https://www.premierleague.com/partners/tag-heuer

BBC Sport and its use of logos in this way is explained via
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/appeals/esc_bulletins/2013/mar.pdf

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'm sure I have told this story before but quite a few years ago, HMV has a poster campaign with Top Dog in xxxxx for local advertising. In an episode of Eastenders, there was quite clearly on screen a poster proclaiming HMV - Top Dog in Walford. There will always be some product placement short of sticking made up stickers on every item of branded goods and most can be explained as such. But a poster especially tailored to your made up suburb? I did invite a response from the BBC but never received an answer. If I lived in Royal Tunbridge Wells then I probably would have gone further but really wasn't arsed. But that was a flagrant abuse of the non advertising clause in their public funding and I am sure there have been many, many more.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Anyway - Tag? Pah. It's all about Watch Religion apparently.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Don't tell me that Blue Peter no longer need to reference sticky back plastic but can reference the actual product.

If true the world is doomed.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Don't tell me that Blue Peter no longer need to reference sticky back plastic but can reference the actual product.

If true the world is doomed.

Yes. They can. Although its a balance...

"[The BBC] needs to be able to reflect the real world and this will involve referring to commercial products, organisations and services in our output. However, we must avoid any undue prominence which gives the impression that we are promoting or endorsing products, organisations or services.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/guidelines/editorial-integrity/product-prominence

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
But they spend an awful lot of time and a lot of our money on advertising themselves. Talk about double standards

So BBC Sussex using air time, lets say, to tell you that they have cricket or football commentary for the Albion is hypocrisy because the BBC is funded by a licence fee and they happen to have sensible guidance about how prominent commercial products should be mentioned on air.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here