Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Referee - where were his cards?

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
In the first half I think it was Bong who brought down one of their players and the referee had to go across to his assistant to get a yellow card.

Then right towards the end Lansbury made an obvious foul on Knockaert and he didn't get booked . Just watched it on tv again and the referee looks in every pocket for a card and didn't have them!

How can he lose them twice ? Sunday league game for him next week .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In the first half I think it was Bong who brought down one of their players and the referee had to go across to his assistant to get a yellow card.

Then right towards the end Lansbury made an obvious foul on Knockaert and he didn't get booked . Just watched it on tv again and the referee looks in every pocket for a card and didn't have them!

Should have been in charge of the Middlesbrough match last season!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Watching the replay straight after that incident, whilst Albion are on the break and the ref is sprinting up you can see the yellow card fall out of his pocket in the centre circle. It's quite obvious he was gonna book Lansbury but didn't have his card on him. Maybe the shorts weren't quite right?

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Watching the replay straight after that incident, whilst Albion are on the break and the ref is sprinting up you can see the yellow card fall out of his pocket in the centre circle. It's quite obvious he was gonna book Lansbury but didn't have his card on him. Maybe the shorts weren't quite right?
I thought referees carried two yellow and red cards, one when they want to show a single card, and a second of each they keep together when they want to show a second yellow with the red.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Sure the answer is a couple of extra buttons on his canister. A brief and wispy cloud of yellow or red smoke would make something artistic and punishing. The wrongdoer would walk through the colourful scent of YOU'VE BEEN WARNED or GET OUTTA HERE, learning their lesson as they went.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Thankfully he missed Skalak's first half shin drag. That should have been a straight red.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
I thought so too. Dangerous challenge.

I couldn't see the Skalak challenge from where I was sitting in the WSL but my son was watching it on Sky and texted me instantly to say that Jiri was very lucky not to see straight red. Sounds like he got away with one there.

Lansbury was very lucky that the ref had unbelievably lost his cards as seemed destined for a certain booking after the foul he committed. I wondered what on earth was happening when I saw the ref "patting himself down", then failing to produce a yellow. Extremely poor show by a professional ref to have got that wrong in a Championship game.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

:lol: We can all suffer a wardrobe malfunction. :blush:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
He didn't according to the BBC's team sheet, and the ref certainly did't produce a yellow at the time

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36983128

He did according to the Sky page though, and the Albion tweeted that he did.

Mind you, Sky also has this
"Knockaert breaks away down right-hand side, before playing the ball to Baldock who tees up Murray to finish with a neat header."

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
You don't actually need to show a yellow card for a caution, it's a mere visual indictaor that the player has been cautioned.

There is a new referee kit out this year, maybe the cards don't sit as well in them as the previous years.

In terms of how many cards referees carry, I know some who carry two sets but most top level only carry one and put the yellow in the left front and red in the rear right hand side. image.jpegimage.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here