Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ex-Liverpool player Howard Gayle turns down MBE

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Good for him. Man of principle:

From the BBC:

'The first black footballer to play for Liverpool has turned down an MBE nomination, saying it would be "a betrayal" to Africans who suffered at the hands of the British Empire.
Howard Gayle, 58, was born in Toxteth and made his Reds debut in 1977. He said he had to decline the nomination, for his Show Racism the Red Card campaign work, as his ancestors would be "turning in their graves" '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-37047318

'Member of the British Empire' What the hell is that all about anyway ? Hopefully Cameron's recent 'honours' list that awarded his mates will finally put the nail in the coffin of this absurd and incestuous insult to worthy citizens.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

From the BBC:

'The first black footballer to play for Liverpool has turned down an MBE nomination, saying it would be "a betrayal" to Africans who suffered at the hands of the British Empire.
Howard Gayle, 58, was born in Toxteth and made his Reds debut in 1977. He said he had to decline the nomination, for his Show Racism the Red Card campaign work, as his ancestors would be "turning in their graves" '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-37047318

'Member of the British Empire' What the hell is that all about anyway ? Hopefully Cameron's recent 'honours' list that awarded his mates will finally put the nail in the coffin of this absurd and incestuous insult to worthy citizens.

:moo:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They are only offering him it because they think it looks good in the current PC climate. Fair play to him for waving the Vs.

He's worth public honour on merit. But who would honestly want to be part of such a corrupt system of recognition ?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Personally, I've always had more respect for those who turn down an honour, than for a lot who accept them.
Which is exactly why I told them where to go when they offered ME one

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Odd decision for me. If the Queen offers an award it's pretty rude to decline. And what point is he making? Britain got rid of slavery a lot quicker than most nations. Certainly our current Queen had nothing to do with it!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Odd decision for me. If the Queen offers an award it's pretty rude to decline. And what point is he making? Britain got rid of slavery a lot quicker than most nations. Certainly our current Queen had nothing to do with it!

Perhaps he is objecting to the "Empire" bit of the award and everything that represents?

It's all a load of bollocks anyway.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Bull shit all round outdated old boys club giving out bullshit rewards to either their mate or to look good.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Aside of whether he's right or wrong.

Its about time we re-named these awards, the empire fail aparts after WW2 and vanished almost completely in 1997. Order of Britain, Member of Britain etc would be better....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

From the BBC:

I've no problem with him turning it down on principle, although I can't say it his reason makes sense to me. Why would his ancestors be turning in their graves? If they were going to do that, wouldn't they have been turning when he ancestors moved to Britain for work? Haven't we moved on somewhat from the mistakes of a few hundred years ago? Or is he saying that no black person should ever accept anything from Britain (or anywhere else in Europe etc)?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

The person handing them out just adds to the reasons to turn it down.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've no problem with him turning it down on principle, although I can't say it his reason makes sense to me. Why would his ancestors be turning in their graves? If they were going to do that, wouldn't they have been turning when he ancestors moved to Britain for work? Haven't we moved on somewhat from the mistakes of a few hundred years ago? Or is he saying that no black person should ever accept anything from Britain (or anywhere else in Europe etc)?

We have moved on. Perhaps some (like Howard Gayle) haven't done so, or at least haven't accepted it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
We have moved on. Perhaps some (like Howard Gayle) haven't done so, or at least haven't accepted it.

You say we've moved on but we still have something called an Order of the British Empire that's given out by a woman in a jewel-encrusted golden hat.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Because the problem is with the outdated stupid name of the award. Member of the Empire ? Jesus....

Imagine if Germany were still giving out awards under that name.

It isn't rude to turn down an award. She isn't offering him a slice of cake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here