Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Subbeteo,come-on own up.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
What teams did you have ? For some reason i had England kit as worn in 66 and Plymouth Argyle in my starter kit and that was in very late 60,s. Newcastle United,Sheffield Wednesday and Wolves soon followed i don't know why !! Maybe it was the colour ? :ohmy: However i see Scotland have been allocated their correct place. :clap2: http://en.subbuteo.com/products/2/0/p/9/

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I shared our Subbuteo teams with my older brother. He was a seriously good player too - I never beat him. Teams I can remember we had were Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle United/Notts County, Italy and my favourite - England 1982 world cup.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Brighton was number 51 in the team colour charts.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Had the lot
3 grandstands down both sides a couple of opening terracing plus the 4 corner opening terracing, 4 floodlights, tv gantry, electronic scoreboard (well sort of) Corner kickers, picket fencing plus the beautiful World Cup coloured goal nets (red & blue)
Plus about 30 different teams ranging from Brazil Arsenal Leeds Albion and even Luton Town

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I had Norwich, Leeds and QPR. I bought the number sets and stuck them on, and even painted Tony Curries hair blonde, twice.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Did you have the one with all the cardboard names of all the teams to put in it like we had?

Oh. yes ! I had one grandstand with 13 spectators. It felt like West Ham v Castilla.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Had the lot
3 grandstands down both sides a couple of opening terracing plus the 4 corner opening terracing, 4 floodlights, tv gantry, electronic scoreboard (well sort of) Corner kickers, picket fencing plus the beautiful World Cup coloured goal nets (red & blue)
Plus about 30 different teams ranging from Brazil Arsenal Leeds Albion and even Luton Town

Same here! I suggest you were born in about 1969/70? We used to get the bare footballers (without the bit on the bottom), paint them and put them in the stands as fans - a mate's mum used to paint them from home as a side-line, so would have huge bags of them. Also, here in TW I met and am still good mates with the grandson of the inventor.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Oh. yes ! I had one grandstand with 13 spectators. It felt like West Ham v Castilla.

We didn't have grandstands, but our cousin did. I found it much more difficult to play with grandstands and the spectators kept falling over all the time as well.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Same here! I suggest you were born in about 1969/70? We used to get the bare footballers (without the bit on the bottom), paint them and put them in the stands as fans - a mate's mum used to paint them from home as a side-line, so would have huge bags of them. Also, here in TW I met and am still good mates with the grandson of the inventor.

Does The Bedford pub in TW still have the subbuteo memorabilia on the wall?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I only had the standard teams that came with the set (red an dblue possinly). To be honest I never really liked Subbuteo much, Knockout cricket was much more my sort of board game.

Nov 5, 2012
chichester
Was distraught when I realised the floodlights were just one lame bulb behind the facade of many lamps. Enjoyed many open air summer night games under the security light in my back garden. Drink was involved.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Oh dear - I'm afraid I had the Palace, when they had the diagonal red and blue stripe. Plenty of others as well though, and for some reason we mostly ended up playing Liverpool v Leeds.

Many of my teams were broken at my sister's 18th birthday party - when her mates found my stuff and played games after quite a bit of alcohol. There weren't many complete teams left after that.

Anyway, what I do still have in my loft is the Albion, Liverpool, Norwich, Everton, and Southwick (or Man City second team as it was sold for some reason....)

The picket fencing was the best thing - saved hundreds of players, and hours collecting the ball from under the chairs and elsewhere.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Brings back memories :)
The Grandmother of a friend used to paint the players, she gave me a bag of them, when I painted them with Airfix paint they looked a complete mess.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Did you have the one with all the cardboard names of all the teams to put in it like we had?

Yep that's the one
Had a brown old fashioned scoreboard with all the names printed on white paper slips to slot in the scoreboard,then after the Argentina 78 World Cup the black electronic looking scoreboard came out

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham

Used to stick a piece of blue tac under each seated supporter to stop them from falling over
Ended up having so many accessories around the pitch making it virtually impossible to play the game :)

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Had loads of extras so looked about like Hastings ground does today in real life, collected over many Birthdays and Christmas. Would play with brother or mates from my road. Dad had the ancient set having grown up probably from 60's but little brothers would stand on one man from each old team.

Had some new ones including Brighton, Liverpool, England and then about 3 fairly generic ones. We would have cups that took all Summer playing the pre-printed names from the scoreboard off against each other with the best matching team. My friend had a Scotland team he'd insist on using else try and use my England team as Spurs. We used to give my little brother Liverpool to represent Wales and thrash on them lol.

Probably talking 89/90 till about 95 and a bit of a revival aged 15 in 98 for the Euros when I seem to remember I had years previously (in the Brolin/Dahlin and SWOS eras) insisted on finding Sweden rather than Brazil in the local Gamleys and being pleased to play a tournament with 6-7 mates as them.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I can't honestly remember what teams I had, but I remember having the scoreboard with all the paper names, as a result I still always look out for videoton and kipest honved scores!!!

I had the European cup which was ridiculously oversized compared to the players, and I remember my mum attaching some foam to the bottom of my pitch because I wanted the AstroTurf but it was too expensive. Some picket fencing that seemed to take longer to set up than actually playing!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here