Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben White

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Why is football a catalyst for over reaction?

"Failed"

Played two games of competitive football and we did not concede. The transfer window has not closed. I

Why did you purposely miss out the two words"to date" ? That's not an overreaction but a fact. Stop editing my full sentence it's pathetic and childish.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Arguable as the front wide men lost it with him behind them but then he did get injured so no available conclusive answer all opinion and possibilities.
You are conveniently forgetting our form after he returned from that injury. Almost unstoppable then, for almost half a season, weren't we? Have you checked what a fabulous record we had with LR at LB after we got him back again? It was awesome.

Oh yes, and which one out of Knocky and Skalak 'lost it'? - didn't notice it myself.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Only a personal opinion but I don't think we need another centre half.

Dunk and Goldson are our first choice pairing and we have a very capable deputy in Hünemeier.

We then have Hall and White both already having featured pre season and not looked out of place.

Why would any decent centre half come here in the knowledge they are, at best third choice for a place in the starting eleven.

I'd prefer to invest decent money elsewhere in the squad.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Only a personal opinion but I don't think we need another centre half.

Dunk and Goldson are our first choice pairing and we have a very capable deputy in Hünemeier.

We then have Hall and White both already having featured pre season and not looked out of place.

Why would any decent centre half come here in the knowledge they are, at best third choice for a place in the starting eleven.

I'd prefer to invest decent money elsewhere in the squad.
Going by your strange logic why did Norwood come?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Because Reading hadn't offered him a contract and we offered him a 3 year deal?

That doesn't answer your question. Please answer why Norwood signed for us knowing he is either 3rd or 4th choice at best?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You are conveniently forgetting our form after he returned from that injury. Almost unstoppable then, for almost half a season, weren't we? Have you checked what a fabulous record we had with LR at LB after we got him back again? It was awesome.

Oh yes, and which one out of Knocky and Skalak 'lost it'? - didn't notice it myself.

You know he knows best

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
That doesn't answer your question. Please answer why Norwood signed for us knowing he is either 3rd or 4th choice at best?

You want me to answer that? Fine..

Norwood, Kayal, Stephens and Sidwell will be rotated, it's the nature of the central midfield position, You don't do the same with a central defensive pair, look at the amount of games both Dunk and Goldson started together last season.

Hünemeier is a more than capable deputy for either of them and is a good young exciting prospect, now if you're Shane Duffy for example, why are you going to walk away from regular football which brings international football and come and sit on the bench here?

More importantly and as I've said in my original post, I think we have enough cover in those positions when Goldson is back (possibly next week) why invest so heavily in the youth setup if we arnt going to give those players the opportunity to progress and challenge for a first team place?

It's only being raised because of the pre season injury to Connor, I would suggest if he had started all pre season and the opening game of the season we wouldn't even be having a discussion about the so called desperate need to replace GG.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You know he knows best

Yes, I know. I'm expecting the lecture about our failure to buy enough left backs sometime tomorrow morning. I just haven't seen it for about a day, and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms. Bit like an itch, you know............................

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You want me to answer that? Fine..

Norwood, Kayal, Stephens and Sidwell will be rotated, it's the nature of the central midfield position, You don't do the same with a central defensive pair, look at the amount of games both Dunk and Goldson started together last season.

Hünemeier is a more than capable deputy for either of them and is a good young exciting prospect, now if you're Shane Duffy for example, why are you going to walk away from regular football which brings international football and come and sit on the bench here?

More importantly and as I've said in my original post, I think we have enough cover in those positions when Goldson is back (possibly next week) why invest so heavily in the youth setup if we arnt going to give those players the opportunity to progress and challenge for a first team place?

Norwood went from first choice at Reading to subs bench at the Albion.

You are right in what you say that CB's don't really get rotated and for good reason. But it isn't about that. It's about depth. Godson had to wait several months before he got the nod to partner Dunk. Why can't this apply to a new CB? Most new players have to bide their time to get into a squad.

Bloom whats automatic promotion. You really can't afford to start promoting kids to the first team with zero experience especially in central defence. We need a strong squad right though. We shouldn't have to dip into the u23's unless we have no choice. With no emergency loan market it's vital to get our depth right.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

You are right in what you say that CB's don't really get rotated and for good reason. But it isn't about that. It's about depth. Godson had to wait several months before he got the nod to partner Dunk. Why can't this apply to a new CB? Most new players have to bide their time to get into a squad.

Bloom whats automatic promotion. You really can't afford to start promoting kids to the first team with zero experience especially in central defence. We need a strong squad right though. We shouldn't have to dip into the u23's unless we have no choice. With no emergency loan market it's vital to get our depth right.
No point in spending millions on the U23s then. Sell the Lancing site now, quick! - could make a decent profit if we can get planning permission for a few hundred houses.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton

Bloom whats automatic promotion. You really can't afford to start promoting kids to the first team with zero experience especially in central defence. We need a strong squad right though. Shouldn't have to dip into the u23's unless we have no choice. With no emergency loan market it's vital to get our depth right.

I'm just not confident we can attract the calibre of player the fans would want, I don't mean that in a negative way I just can't see an established centre half wanting to be a back up to a dependable Dunk and Goldson.

Yes we could probably attract a decent young lower league centre half, but isn't that exactly what we have in White and Hall?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm just not confident we can attract the calibre of player the fans would want, I don't mean that in a negative way I just can't see an established centre half wanting to be a back up to a dependable Dunk and Goldson.

Yes we could probably attract a decent young lower league centre half, but isn't that exactly what we have in White and Hall?

We put a bid in for Duffy. That suggests Hughton wants a proven quality player who could slot in straight away if needed. Lower league players are a gamble

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
We put a bid in for Duffy. That suggests Hughton wants a proven quality player who could slot in straight away if needed. Lower league players are a gamble

And I'd be amazed if he comes here.

Recognised international centre half and playing regularly in The Championship, despite that he would still be third choice behind Dunk and Goldson, personally I was really impressed with what I saw of Hünemeier and I'd be more than happy to have them 3 and one of the other 2 young lads as back up.

Don't forget we also have the option of Bruno to play in that role should we have two of them injured, as per the past few weeks.

Further injuries are of course a concern but the same could be said across a selection of positions.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Good job we didn't take a risk on Goldson for our 4th. choice CB this time last year then.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Good job we didn't take a risk on Goldson for our 4th. choice CB this time last year then.

Agreed. The likes of Hall and White are potentially the next Dunk and Goldson.

I'm not convinced that bringing in another centre half is one of our priorities to be honest.

Adequate cover as soon as Hünemeier and Goldson are back available (and that's not far away)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed. The likes of Hall and White are potentially the next Dunk and Goldson.

I'm not convinced that bringing in another centre half is one of our priorities to be honest.

Adequate cover as soon as Hünemeier and Goldson are back available (and that's not far away)

Of course, if CH has got his sights on someone BETTER than Dunk, Goldson and Hunemeier that would be even better. But I think I can live with White (or Hall) as back up - and Bruno in the short term if necessary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here