Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dyche claims he isn't given the same credit he deserves as Guardiola, Klopp and Ranieri

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Perception is clearly something Sean Dyche thought long and hard about during his year away from the Premier League.
The Burnley manager may not have quite stewed over criticism but, talking on the eve of a top-flight return, made it plain that he believes British bosses are at an immediate disadvantage.
Dyche - who won last season's Championship title - wonders why foreign coaches are heralded as 'geniuses' for almost identical methods.

'They questioned me for playing a 4-4-2,' Dyche said of his last Premier League campaign, 'and then everyone played it last year and it was 'amazing Claudio Ranieri, amazing, tactical genius'.
'Jurgen Klopp came in and played sort of a 4-4-2 and let's run really hard and press, people thought it was incredible... 'wasn't Sean Dyche doing that years ago when he got here? Oh well'.
'Antonio Conte came in at Chelsea and he got commended for bringing a hard, fast, new leadership to Chelsea, which involved doing 800metre runs, 400m runs and 200m runs.
'Come to my training and see Sean Dyche doing that and you'd say 'dinosaur, a young English dinosaur manager, hasn't got a clue'. So is it perception or is it fact? I have no problem with it. It's the reality I say.'

The pre-season noise about dieting has also tickled Dyche, keen to stress he was not denouncing the ability of individuals.
'I saw [Gael] Clichy talking about the diet that Pep Guardiola has brought in. He's stopped pizza. Last year Ranieri was adding pizza. Two geniuses, one adding pizza one taking it away.'
Dyche quantified that, adding: 'I'm being flippant but serious as well. It's true, that is the misconception.
'Clichy was talking about this amazing new diet, saying 'we don't eat junk food'. We've been doing that since I got here, I did it at Watford, so are other English managers.

'Here are the dietitians, this is what we do, we've sorted a chef out and he's going to support you, we've got the supplements and we're going to have a fluid consultant in. Because I'm Sean Dyche you wouldn't be interested. It's 'go on Pep, tell us about your pizzas'.'
Dyche is up against Swansea City's Italian Francesco Guidolin this weekend, Klopp with Liverpool the next and Conte at Stamford Bridge following that.
'There's no problem with me and foreign managers, but this is my view on it,' he said. 'A job comes up and [fans are asked] who do you want, a foreign name is mentioned, and they go 'oh yeah I've heard he's a great tactician'.

'That's usually the line and we watch it sat on the bus wetting ourselves laughing. The fan has never heard of him.
'They're a bit more snazzy, let's see what this Belgian manager or this Argentinian manager can do.
'It's not interesting for me to go 'oh look, there's that famous manager, yeah he's been doing this and that'. I have total respect to the man stood next to me - some have done amazing things in the game - but I don't think about schmoozing.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...n-boss-claims-Burnley-manager-Sean-Dyche.html

:tosser: ???

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Not read it all. I do remember people applauding Burnley for the way they played last time. Maybe the douche would be applauded more if he kept them up.

He's slowly turning into a manager I hate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I don't like him, but does he not have a point?

He's done a pretty decent job with both Watford and Burnley, whatever way you look at it.

He's clearly a good manager, no?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He might be uneasy on the eye and the ears but he is spot on what he says here .......................

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Completely agree with him. There are some great foreign managers but also a lot of dross getting good jobs.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Dyche is a massive **** proven by the number of times he refers to himself in the 3rd person during that interview.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I don't like him, but does he not have a point?

He's done a pretty decent job with both Watford and Burnley, whatever way you look at it.

He's clearly a good manager, no?

Why does he keep getting relegated then? Getting promoted with a bigger budget than anyone else doesn't make you a great manager.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Why does he keep getting relegated then? Getting promoted with a bigger budget than anyone else doesn't make you a great manager.
I'm not saying he is great, of course I'm not. But I'm saying that he's a decent manager who has a pretty decent CV whatever way you look at it.

Hughton relegated Norwich, by the way.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

I'm not sure his budget was that big with Burnley first time round. He is a good championship manager. Can't remember if he got promoted with Watford or not but he has been a consistent success apart from in the PL where he had managed.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I take his point really. He's not even saying he's been successful, he's just saying that the things other managers are praised for, he (and other English managers) are already doing, but no one cares. He's right really, it's all about perception of managers, which likely comes from the media departments of those clubs.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I'm not sure his budget was that big with Burnley first time round. He is a good championship manager. Can't remember if he got promoted with Watford or not but he has been a consistent success apart from in the PL where he had managed.

They were in receipt of parachute payments when he took over so will always have had a bigger budget than most championship clubs.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
The thing is, would you ever see Hughton giving an interview like this? No, he just gets on with his job, dignified and always maintaining his class. He doesn't need to shout about and make comments, he never says the wrong thing. One of the reasons we're so lucky to have him.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Whatever you think about him, his team, whatever else - he's absolutely right in what he's said in that article. He won't be linked to a top job at any point. He's the new Sam Allardyce, if he wants to manage in the top half of the Premier League then he has to take a crap Northern club and transform them. He'll also have a stint playing firefighter at some point I'm sure - English managers are dismissed as being largely second rate.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I remember Micky Adams, when he and everyone else thought he was the best thing since sliced bread, complaining that top Premier league clubs only appointed foreign "designer" managers and that he could do the job just as well. How wrong did he turn out to be . I suggest Dyche would be just as bad. Getting promotion from The Championship to being successful with a top end club is a different ball game altogether ( no pun intended)

Stumpy Tim

Probably because his teams play turgid football despite him spending millions?

I wouldn't say he spent more than other managers with less success. The point Dyche is making is that when an English manager brings new things to the game they're ignored, while foreign coaches get lauded. Allardyce brought nutrition, yoga and more to Bolton years before other managers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here