Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Named and Shamed

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
it appears we haven't been paying all staff minimum wage. :annoyed:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/minimum-wage-brighton-and-gove_uk_57ac44fae4b08ab70dc1471c

Football clubs, a luxury spa and a posh country pub in David Cameron’s constituency have all been named and shamed for not paying the minimum wage.

The business were part of a list of almost 200 companies released by the Government today who owed their workers almost half a million pounds in unpaid wages.

Among those companies listed is Championship club Brighton & Hove Albion, which owed £2,861.64 to 1 worker and League 2 side Blackpool, which had to pay £517.88 to 1 worker.

Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa in Merseyside, which charges £185 for a night in one of its executive rooms, was also found guilty of not paying the minimum wage - which is £5.30 per hour for 18 to 20-year-olds and £6.70 for over 21s.

It had to pay £1,047.00 to 1 worker.

The Chequers, in Chipping Norton, located in Cameron’s constituency of Witney in Oxfordshire owed £1,190.68 to 1 worker.

Business Minister Margot James said: “This Government is determined to build an economy that works for everyone, not just the privileged few.

“That means making sure everyone gets paid the wages they are owed – including our new, higher, National Living Wage. It is not acceptable that some employers fail to pay at least the minimum wage their workers are entitled to.

“So we’ll continue to crack down on those who ignore the law, including by naming and shaming them.”

Since the name and scheme was introduced in October 2013, 688 employers have been publicly embarrassed, and more than £3.5 million has been paid to workers.

The latest list – the tenth since the scheme was launched – only includes business caught not paying the minimum wage, and does not take into account the National Living Wage, introduced in April

The current minimum wage rates are:

National Living Wage (25 years and over) - £7.20 per hour
adult rate of National Minimum Wage (21 years and over) - £6.70 per hour

18 to 20-year olds - £5.30 per hour

16 to 17-year olds - £3.87 per hour

apprentice rate - £3.30 per hour

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Here is the club's statement on this:

FOOTBALL CLUB DISAPPOINTED AT HMRC NAMING

Brighton & Hove Albion are very disappointed, that despite representations to the Minister for Business Innovation and Skills, they have been "named" as a business adjudged by the HMRC as having failed to pay the national minimum wage.

The case resulted from the club being over generous in paying the expenses of an individual on a work experience placement at the club two years ago. The minor administrative error was corrected by the club as soon as it was established the payments had been made in error.

The club had acted in good faith, having taken external legal advice, and in the belief that it did not breach employment regulations.

The club is responsible employer who values its staff, pays all staff over and above the National Living Wage, provides additional benefits to all full-time staff, including free meals, twice a day, a bonus scheme and other benefits.

As a result of the HMRC's decision (to which there is no right of appeal) the club has suspended its work experience programme, and has since been forced to close the door to many graduates seeking such opportunities.

A spokesperson for Brighton & Hove Albion said, "As a business we feel our reputation as a responsible employer has been very unfairly tarnished. We are one of the few clubs who pays its staff the over and above the national living wage.

"Unfortunately, in light of this, we are now more risk averse in terms of offering work experience opportunities. This means we are unable to give as many valuable on-the-job work experience opportunities to those looking to further their career or break into this highly competitive industry.”

"It is a shame because a number of people who've spent time with us, on work experience placements, have gone on to win successful job roles across the football and sports industry, at the highest level - here in the Premier League and EFL and others abroad."

Last year Brighton & Hove Albion were voted by its own staff as the Best Football Club to Work For at the Football Business Awards; while the club also expanded its employee benefits to include a hot breakfast and lunch for every member of full-time staff, and added every single member of staff - including all matchday and casual staff - to a promotion bonus scheme alongside its players and coaching staff.

ENDS

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I genuinely don't know how people can afford to live on minimum wage. I worked minimum wage a few years back and it was impossible to live on my own and cover all bills. Luckily I'm relatively switched on and managed to land a better job quite quickly, that said, I still managed to get in quite a bit of bother with not paying bills on time, if at all.
I live pretty comfortably now but always push myself at work as I never want to be in that situation again.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I guess they have made attempts to stop these cock ups in future by taking on HR expert Michelle Walder as a new director of the club.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its a bit drastic for the club to decide to bin ALL work experience posts now off the back of this one isolated incident though, isn't it ? Strikes me as being a rather petulant "You did this, so now look what you've gone and done" kind of response.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Its a bit drastic for the club to decide to bin ALL work experience posts now off the back of this one isolated incident though, isn't it ? Strikes me as being a rather petulant "You did this, so now look what you've gone and done" kind of response.

I agree. It smacks of a sulk. The club have learned their lesson so why punish people looking for work experience [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree. It smacks of a sulk. The club have learned their lesson so why punish people looking for work experience [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] ?

"It is a shame because a number of people who've spent time with us, on work experience placements, have gone on to win successful job roles across the football and sports industry, at the highest level - here in the Premier League and EFL and others abroad."

Yes, it IS a shame. So why bloody do it ? #Together ?

Pathetic.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
It looks like a storm in a tea cup - even in the article it is ONE employee. I agree with businesses being named and shamed but it's a bit daft when it is one employee!

Also - hot meals twice a day for all staff. The 1901ers will be livid

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION]. I don't understand how paying expenses to a work experience graduate equates to wages? I thought expenses had to be claimed, and wages were paid via the HR system.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

This, I'm surprised they didn't blame Thatcher!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION]. I don't understand how paying expenses to a work experience graduate equates to wages? I thought expenses had to be claimed, and wages were paid via the HR system.

I don't think we need to know all the ins and outs of what happened in this one particular incident, as its clearly been rectified.

The club quite obviously does not have a policy of paying below the minimum wage though, so its ridiculous for them to have been named in this instance when it was clearly an isolated case due to an administrative cock-up. Companies that have MULTIPLE employees on less than the minimum wage are fair game to be named and shamed, but when a business employs hundreds and hundreds of people, and ONE person comes out as having had less than the minimum wage, then surely a more sensible policy would be for HMRC to look into it a bit further, before just arbitrarily naming and shaming. So I can see why BHA are pissed off about this.

It still doesn't excuse or justify abandoning the entire work experience scheme though. That's a ridiculous overreaction.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton

Sorry, but please re-read the statement. It does not say that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think we need to know all the ins and outs of what happened in this one particular incident, as its clearly been rectified.

The club quite obviously does not have a policy of paying below the minimum wage though, so its ridiculous for them to have been named in this instance when it was clearly an isolated case due to an administrative cock-up. Companies that have MULTIPLE employees on less than the minimum wage are fair game to be named and shamed, but when a business employs hundreds and hundreds of people, and ONE person comes out as having had less than the minimum wage, then surely a more sensible policy would be for HMRC to look into it a bit further, before just arbitrarily naming and shaming. So I can see why BHA are pissed off about this.

It still doesn't excuse or justify abandoning the entire work experience scheme though. That's a ridiculous overreaction.

I agree. I didn't understand the explanation, but as you say, it was a one off situation.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton

You may want to actually re-read the statement, as it says "as many". The whole work placement structure was reviewed, with HR and legal experts in light of this, and we have had to remove some opportunities, as the HMRC may view them as not complying with NMW - as have many other clubs.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sorry, but please re-read the statement. It does not say that.

Er ....

""Unfortunately, in light of this, we are now more risk averse in terms of offering work experience opportunities. This means we are unable to give as many valuable on-the-job work experience opportunities to those looking to further their career or break into this highly competitive industry.”"

So even at the most positive interpretation that means LESS work experience places ?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Yes, it IS a shame. So why bloody do it ? #Together ?

Pathetic.

Personal agenda shining through very brightly there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here