Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beer curfew 10 minutes before kick off

hove9

Aug 12, 2015
Hove
Cycled to the Amex last night and thought I'd earned a beer. It was 7:36 and was told they cannot sell alcohol from 10 minutes before kick off. Is this a new rule? Might make me ensure I leave the house earlier.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Cycled to the Amex last night and thought I'd earned a beer. It was 7:36 and was told they cannot sell alcohol from 10 minutes before kick off. Is this a new rule? Might make me ensure I leave the house earlier.

I thought it was 2 minutes ?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
At the Lazio friendly there was a jobsworth refusing to serve until the half time whistle had blown.....:shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If that 10 minute rule is correct, then that is absolutely ridiculous. If you've already paid £30-£50 for a ticket, then you should be able to buy a beer whenever you bloody well like.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I may be mistaken but doesn't the ground alcohol license specify a cut off point of 15 minutes before kick off ?

Whatever it is, it'll not be the albion's choice.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm sure that's been around a while - although thought it was more like 2 mins...

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's been the case for quite a while as I fell foul of it a couple of times last season when the transport didn't quite go to plan.

I don't understand why they appear to be able to continue serving at half time, though. :shrug:

It would be good if someone knows what the actual restrictions are - and why.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It's been the case for quite a while as I fell foul of it a couple of times last season when the transport didn't quite go to plan.

I don't understand why they appear to be able to continue serving at half time, though. :shrug:

It would be good if someone knows what the actual restrictions are - and why.

I think you'll only get the answer to 'why' from Brighton and Hove Licensing service.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
They stop serving beer 10 minutes before kick off and start serving again 10 minutes before half time. They then stop again 10 minutes before the second half kicks off and start again 10 minutes before the end of the match.

Licensing rules innit.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If that 10 minute rule is correct, then that is absolutely ridiculous. If you've already paid £30-£50 for a ticket, then you should be able to buy a beer whenever you bloody well like.

Subject to FL and local authority licensing regulations.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
They stop serving beer 10 minutes before kick off and start serving again 10 minutes before half time. They then stop again 10 minutes before the second half kicks off and start again 10 minutes before the end of the match.

Licensing rules innit.

That sounds absolutely ridiculous. So they won't serve alcohol before the game starts but will allow it while the game is still in play before half time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

News to me.

Could someone please explain to me why, in the name of all that is holy, in the United Kingdom in the year of our lord 2016, we are not allowed to buy an alcoholic drink within 10 minutes of the start of a football match ? We're already still BANNED from drinking the frickin' thing within sight of the cuffing pitch anyway. What catastrophic health and safety risk are we causing by (shock horror) starting on a pint at 2.55 or 7.40pm ?

I'd seriously LOVE to know the answer to that, even though I can feel my face already pulling inextricably in towards my palm.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I may be mistaken but doesn't the ground alcohol license specify a cut off point of 15 minutes before kick off ?

Whatever it is, it'll not be the albion's choice.

I think you'll only get the answer to 'why' from Brighton and Hove Licensing service.

Licensing rules innit.

As far as I can see it is not a council stipulation on the Amex license Amex License Conditions

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They should relax these rules for the WSU - if you have to climb 123 steps you deserve a pint at the top, whatever the clock says.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here