Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Midfielder Ollie’s Fergie time taught him to strive for highest standards to get rewards [

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Ollie Norwood never quite got to bend it like Beckham or spray passes like Paul Scholes on the hallowed turf of Old Trafford.
But Albion’s latest signing has revealed he got involved in some highly competitive sessions with Manchester United – on a daily basis at the training ground.
That is the big lesson he will take from life under Fergie to his stint at Albion. Not just to play like your life depends on it but to train that way too.
Norwood is set to make his Seagulls debut tonight in the League Cup against Colchester following his arrival on a three-year deal last Wednesday.
He could not have joined many Championship clubs with more ferocious competition for central midfield places.
But then being highly competitive on a daily basis was drilled into him working under Sir Alex Ferguson.
It is a habit he still strives to keep today – while keeping what appears to have been a motivational exit interview with Sir Alex in mind too.
Norwood, the Burnley boy who plays from Northern Ireland thanks to his grandparents from Belfast, spent his formative years with United.
He had to move on to make the first-team grade, most notably in the thick of Championship battle with Huddersfield and latterly Reading.
But he did so with lessons learnt.
The 25-year-old told The Argus: “It was incredible being there from six year to 21-year-old. Without making the breakthrough, getting to train in those facilities, with the players who were at Man United at that time, was an incredible experience.
“You learn every day from watching the top players of that generation, which were Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, Rio Ferdinand, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney - every single one of them, world class operators.
“Just to train with them and see the standards they set in training every day was something I’ve taken with me.
“It is something I have tried to copy.
“The standard they trained at every single day was 100%.
“Every single one of them wanted to be the best player in training every single day.
“Training was so competitive. It was a privilege and honour to be in and around those types of players and those characters.
“It was difficult. They were winning Premier League after Premier League.
“It never happened for me. I loved every second of being there but there came a point where you have got to go and get a career for yourself.
“I’ve done that now and I’ve played a lot of games since leaving there.
“I was offered another year but I spoke to the gaffer at the time, who was obviously Sir Alex, and there was a decision made from him as well.
“He wished me all the best and he had a lot of nice things to say, nice words, and hopefully those things will happen one day for me.”
Norwood declined an invitation to reveal what that parting message was.
But he said: “I’ve always kept that with me and hopefully one day it will come true.
“It didn’t happen at United but I have come away from there and done well for myself and hopefully at the end of this year we can be in the Premier League as this club.”
Norwood believes he has seen enough to suggest they might just have a chance from what he saw as part of the 18 at Derby on Saturday.
He said: “It was a hectic 48 hours for me up until the weekend.
“It all happened very quickly.
“Then I was travelling up there on Friday, straight to the game, and it was good to watch.
“I thought the lads, to a man, were brilliant.
“I thought we shaded the game and probably could have won it.
“But it is always a difficult game going there and it was a good point.”
So now comes that big chance. Norwood was part of the Reading side thoroughly tested by Colchester at this stage last season before going through with a late C
Chris Gunter goal.
He recalled: "It was tough to score. They sat back, they had ten players behind the ball at all times and it was difficult.
“We just couldn’t find the breakthrough. I think it took until the 119th minute.
“Hopefully it won’t take as long tonight but we expect a really tough game.
“They are going to come to the Amex and see the surroundings, they are going to be up for the game.
"We have just got to make sure we do everything we can."
Ollie Norwood has played for Burnley – at cricket. He went to the same school as England star Jimmy Anderson and has played for the town’s second XI.
He said: “I was brought up a stone’s throw from the cricket ground, which is on the back of the football ground.
“Jimmy is quite a bit older than me but a few of the boys I play cricket with know him quite well. I only really know him to say ‘Hello’ to.
“But there have been quite a few sporting people from Burnley who have gone on to do good things so, as a town, I think everybody is proud.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here