Baldock 7

Good performance all in all.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Maenpaa 6.5 little to do, but not as assured on ball as Stockdale
Hunt 7 Looked very assured but never really under pressure
White 7.5 Looked very composed and assured and seemed to have a salmon like jump on him.
Ince 7 Fought well for the ball and won most headers
Adekugbe 6.5 Got forward very well until cramp late on. Lost his man for a free header 1st half.
Murphy 8 Great
Holla 6 Meh
Norwood 7 Good tackling good passing.
Lualua 7.5 Poor until he burst into life 2nd half and was very good from then.
Manu 7 Worked hard, showed good pace and touch and scored a good goal.
Baldock 7 Lots of pace but anonymous much of 1st period. Better 2nd and took his goal very well.

Chris Hughton 8 got it right.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Maenpaa 7 - did everything asked of him (which was very little)
Hunt 7 - looked very comfortable
White 7.5 - entirely composed. Very comfortable on the ball, brings it out like Dunk. Not really tested though
Ince 7.5 - sloppy at times but a game changing pass to Lua Lua.
Adekugbe 7 - grew into the game
Murphy 8 - flitted in and out of the game but way too good for Colchester
Holla 6 - did little except a great effort in the first half
Norwood 7 - great range of passing. Sits and does the simple things well
Lualua 8 - very quiet first half. Must have got a bollocking because he was brilliant in the second half
Manu 6 - Good for the first ten, then completely disappeared. Looked up for it again after he scored
Baldock 7 - offered precious little in the first half but took his goal very well and a good assist for Manu's goal

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maenppa 6
Hunt 7
White 7
Ince 7
Adekugbe 6
Murphy 7
Holla 6
Norwood 7
KLL 8
Baldock 7
Manu 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Poor first half. We far far too slow moving forward. Much much better second half. The manager must have given them a roasting. A real "game of two halves"! Very good to be back watching footy again.

Maenpaa 7. Did all that was asked of him. Distribution decent.
Hunt 7. Looked good.
White 7. Very assured. Promising.
Ince 8. Great idea to play him at CB which I gather was his original position. Hardly put a foot wrong apart from one poor pass. Won just about everything in the air. Distribution excellent. Could he be the 4th CB we require?
Adekugbe 8. I liked this lad a lot. Apart from the one time he lost his man in the first half and a couple of poor crosses I thought he was excellent both defending and attacking.
Murphy 6. I thought he was very anonymous for the first two thirds of the game and only came to life late on. But two good goals.
Norwood 7. Promising debut.
Holla 6. OK.
Lua Lua 7. Some poor crossing in the first half, but seemed to wake up after half time and terrorised the Colchester defence. Could easily have had a goal or two.
Baldock 6. Anonymous first half. Much better second. Well taken goal.
Manu 8. Had a very good game. Full of running. Some great skill. Tackled back. Great support and appreciation from the crowd in the second half. Could this be a turning point for him?

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
What a difference a goal makes. Pre-first goal everyone pretty average. After the goal Murphy, KLL, Baldock gained 10 yards of pace.

Adek did well and was lightning quick. A couple of crosses that looked aimless might have looked better without an oompah loompah forward line.

Didn't really notice White which is a key indicator of a quality centre half.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maenpaa 7
Hunt 7
White 8
Ince 7
Adekugbe 7
Murphy 7
Holla 6
Norwood 7
Lualua 8
Manu 7
Baldock 6

I know it was against a League 2 side, but it showed what confidence Hughton had in these players, that he didn't need to make a substitution.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Poor first half. We far far too slow moving forward. Much much better second half. The manager must have given them a roasting. A real "game of two halves"! Very good to be back watching footy again.

Maenpaa 7. Did all that was asked of him. Distribution decent.
Hunt 7. Looked good.
White 7. Very assured. Promising.
Ince 8. Great idea to play him at CB which I gather was his original position. Hardly put a foot wrong apart from one poor pass. Won just about everything in the air. Distribution excellent. Could he be the 4th CB we require?
Adekugbe 8. I liked this lad a lot. Apart from the one time he lost his man in the first half and a couple of poor crosses I thought he was excellent both defending and attacking.
Murphy 6. I thought he was very anonymous for the first two thirds of the game and only came to life late on. But two good goals.
Norwood 7. Promising debut.
Holla 6. OK.
Lua Lua 7. Some poor crossing in the first half, but seemed to wake up after half time and terrorised the Colchester defence. Could easily have had a goal or two.
Baldock 6. Anonymous first half. Much better second. Well taken goal.
Manu 8. Had a very good game. Full of running. Some great skill. Tackled back. Great support and appreciation from the crowd in the second half. Could this be a turning point for him?

With regards to Ince...possibly 4th choice

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
If you ignore the inept and boring first half the team played pretty well in the second half finally breaking down the Colchester defence and making those killer passes. Impressed with Elvis tonight but boy is he frustrating, he could and should have had a hat-trick in the second half if he actually kept himself onside. Holla played like he didn't want to be there, misplaced passes and just a general standing and not making much movement from the midfield. Ince played well at centre back and was pretty decent in the air, he won't get in the first team as a holding midfielder as Hughton doesn't play that system but he may be useful as a back-up defender barring he doesn't go out on loan.

These are my second half ratings:
Maenpaa - no rating as had nothing to do

Hunt - 8 - encouraging and always going forward, overlapping Murphy and looking to put a cross in to the box. Think he is a left-footer so may develop in to a new Paul Watson
Ince - 7 - if you didn't know he wasn't a centre back and was playing out of position you would be surprised. Won a lot of the ariel battles
White - 7 - encouraging performance and unlucky not to score in the first half with a header from a corner
Adekugbe - 7 - not as good as Hunt on the other side of the defence but looked okay, looked to go forward whenever possible

Murphy - 8 - two well taken goals and played fairly well for the last 30 mins or so, before that he was pretty anonymous
Norwood - 7 - good solid debut, corners looked decent into the box. Encouraging
Holla - 5 - that's being generous, probably his last game for the club
LuaLua - 8 - his performance in the last 30 minutes was like the old Kaz, bit of skill and always looking for the ball, found his pace and looking to take on players and beat them which he hasn't done since coming back from his injury. First 60 minutes he was fairly anonymous

Baldock - 7 - pretty decent and a good goal, played well as captain but don't think he's good enough to start week in week out
Elvis - 8 - if he actually kept himself onside he would have had a hat-trick tonight but not even under any pressure and he always positions himself to far forward. Looked interested and like he wanted to prove a point so maybe he knew there was scouts there watching tonight looking to take him on loan. I think he can come good if he has a spell away playing regular football, I think he'd score a few in L1 or L2, hopefully this loan move to MK Dons goes ahead and he finds his confidence back because there's a good player in him.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
If you ignore the inept and boring first half the team played pretty well in the second half finally breaking down the Colchester defence and making those killer passes. Impressed with Elvis tonight but boy is he frustrating, he could and should have had a hat-trick in the second half if he actually kept himself onside. Holla played like he didn't want to be there, misplaced passes and just a general standing and not making much movement from the midfield. Ince played well at centre back and was pretty decent in the air, he won't get in the first team as a holding midfielder as Hughton doesn't play that system but he may be useful as a back-up defender barring he doesn't go out on loan.

Hunt - 8 - encouraging and always going forward, overlapping Murphy and looking to put a cross in to the box. Think he is a left-footer so may develop in to a new Paul Watson
Ince - 7 - if you didn't know he wasn't a centre back and was playing out of position you would be surprised. Won a lot of the ariel battles
White - 7 - encouraging performance and unlucky not to score in the first half with a header from a corner
Adekugbe - 7 - not as good as Hunt on the other side of the defence but looked okay, looked to go forward whenever possible

Murphy - 8 - two well taken goals and played fairly well for the last 30 mins or so, before that he was pretty anonymous
LuaLua - 8 - his performance in the last 30 minutes was like the old Kaz, bit of skill and always looking for the ball, found his pace and looking to take on players and beat them which he hasn't done since coming back from his injury. First 60 minutes he was fairly anonymous

Baldock - 7 - pretty decent and a good goal, played well as captain but don't think he's good enough to start week in week out
Elvis - 8 - if he actually kept himself onside he would have had a hat-trick tonight but not even under any pressure and he always positions himself to far forward. Looked interested and like he wanted to prove a point so maybe he knew there was scouts there watching tonight looking to take him on loan. I think he can come good if he has a spell away playing regular football, I think he'd score a few in L1 or L2, hopefully this loan move to MK Dons goes ahead and he finds his confidence back because there's a good player in him.

Pretty much agree with all this. Other comments:
Adekugbe: I was very impressed. Still learning but excellent overlapping runs down the wing. He could turn out to be the left back cover we've been needing. Could develop into our left back
Manu: you can see exactly why he was bought, but you can also see exactly why he will probably never play for the first team. Real flashes of pace and determination, ability to get in the box. But also ability to be anonymous and make wrong decisions. Frustrating.
Kaz: seemed to be limping late in the second half. I wonder if his last injury has done for him?
Norwood: quiet class playing well within himself

In all a totally pointless first half (Murphy in particular was awful) much better second half.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Pretty much agree with all this. Other comments:
Adekugbe: I was very impressed. Still learning but excellent overlapping runs down the wing. He could turn out to be the left back cover we've been needing. Could develop into our left back
Manu: you can see exactly why he was bought, but you can also see exactly why he will probably never play for the first team. Real flashes of pace and determination, ability to get in the box. But also ability to be anonymous and make wrong decisions. Frustrating.
Kaz: seemed to be limping late in the second half. I wonder if his last injury has done for him?
Norwood: quiet class playing well within himself

In all a totally pointless first half (Murphy in particular was awful) much better second half.

Kaz took a nasty kick on the Achilles towards the end as he burst through.

Interesting comments re Adekugbe, I thought he was poor at times, asleep in first half when Colchester player crept in behind him and crossing a bit wayward. I would have said he was probably the weakest out of the 3 that played (Hunt and White being the others).

Only gave him a 6 (average mark for me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maenpaa 7 Bit of a flap once, otherwise OK. not really troubled. Distribution not as effective as Stockers (who would have found Manu with a kick or two when he was screaming for it)
Hunt 7 - like the look of him, very assured
White 7.5 - ditto
Ince 7 - did a good job, won everything in the air
Adekugbe 7 - pacy but a bit off positionally I thought when we were going forward - didn't support or get into space quickly enough
Murphy 7 - marked down for a poor first half. Much better when more direct in the second
Holla 5.5 - not great, some misplaced passes, outshone by Norwood
Norwood 7 - good start. Confident and was dictating the midfield
Lualua 7.5 - similar to Murphy. Excellent second half. Think CH bollocked them both at half time.
Manu 7 - best I've seen him play, usual offside frustration but good pace and strong
Baldock 6.5 - pretty anonymous apart from the good finish

Played some very good stuff in the second half, encouraging performances from the youngsters/second string. This would have been fairly close to a first team-type line up two seasons ago so shows how strong we are now.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Colchester ( reserves ) by far the worst team I have seen at the Amex. With that in mind :

Maenpaa 6

Hunt 6
White 6
Ince 6
Adekugbe 7

LuaLua 8
Norwood 6
Holla 5
Murphy 8

Baldock 6
Elvis 6

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Maenpaa 6
Hunt 6
White 7
Ince 6
Adekugbe 6
Lua Lua 7
Murphy 7
Norwood 6
Holla 6 (nowhere near as poor as some are making out)
Manu 7
Baldock 6

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Colchester ( reserves ) by far the worst team I have seen at the Amex. With that in mind :

Maenpaa 6

Hunt 6
White 6
Ince 6
Adekugbe 7

LuaLua 8
Norwood 6
Holla 5
Murphy 8

Baldock 6
Elvis 6

...some very poor teams have taken points off us in the past.., including wolves last year taking 3. So in that context this should be seen as a good win with 4 goals scored and a few other very close chances. . My biggest concern is Baldock did not look like a striker- yes he scored but positioning was not really there.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Maenpaa 6 - Were a couple of occassions when I felt he needed to be more vocal or decisive
Hunt 7 - Competent
White 7 - Great in the air and very relaxed on the ball
Ince 7.5 - Strong and well positioned, great aerial challenges
Adekugbe 7.5 - Played very well, thought the team, especially Lau Lau, could have supported more when he was on the ball
Murphy 7.5 - Very good performance
Holla 6 - Dissapointing
Norwood 7.5 - Steady, confident and controlled
Lualua 7 - Showed glimpses of the old Lau Lau, needs to be more consistent and can be predictable
Manu 7 - Puit a shift in although looked laboured near the end, understandably, great to see him score
Baldock 7.5 - Showed pace, flair and played a great Captain's match

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
...some very poor teams have taken points off us in the past.., including wolves last year taking 3. So in that context this should be seen as a good win with 4 goals scored and a few other very close chances. . My biggest concern is Baldock did not look like a striker- yes he scored but positioning was not really there.
I agree.

For me there's only so long that Baldock can continue to dine out on scoring vs Arsenal 18 months ago.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Strangely lots of good and agreeable comments posted here. I nearly fell asleep during the first hour, and the atmosphere was non existent. But last half hour made the trip worthwhile (barring the traffic).
I felt Adekugbe was a bit better than some suggested, Manu is certainly quick, as some nice moves in the box but not dynamic enough to finish them off.
Both Hunt and White, though not yet at Championship level, did look good, in particular White. Kaz really made the difference and stretched their defence and eventually it was him that broke them down....all in all not a bad second string to have. :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Did you go to the game at The Amex last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here