Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most dangerous road in Brighton?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I nominate London Road particuly the motorcyle lane coming into town.

1. You are riding in the drivers natural blind spot being he or she is seated at the other side of the car.

2. In traffic jam ( the only time i would ever think about using the lane) the cars create a visual wall, you are blind to cars being allowed to cut across into your lane to turn up a slip road.

3. Drivers turning up a slip road need to cut across your lane. This can come out the blue sometimes when in a jam.

4. New riders mostly seem unaware of the hidden dangers inherent in the design and ride it with no cares in the world.

Very,very dangerous road.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Not being a Brightonite I will throw in a non Brighton road - m4 Junction 10 going both directions.

It seems to have the highest proportion of any road I have been on where people seemingly don't realise it's their turning until 200 yards before it. So many people trying to go from lane 3 to lane 1 in one maneuver. Pretty scary when I first started to drive along it each day

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Isn't every road in Brighton and Hove that has had the 20mph limit imposed extremely dangerous roads by definition otherwise they would have retained the 30mph limit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Isn't every road in Brighton and Hove that has had the 20mph limit imposed extremely dangerous roads by definition otherwise they would have retained the 30mph limit.

Hardly.

Its quite clear that zero thought went into the rolling out of that ridiculous scheme (which is routinely ignored by everyone anyway, including me). Trafalgar Road in Portslade being a case in point. 20mph signs all over the place there. Turn into Vale Road and it goes back up to 30 - right by a primary school.

Genius.

D

Deleted member 22389

Wish they would make the roads in peacehaven 20mph, pushing my 2 year old around there are some real idiots on the road, not just speeding but parking. Truth is too many cars for our roads to cope with at certain times.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Depends who you mean it's dangerous FOR.

For pedestrians, I'd nominate:

1. The pedestrian crossings around the Clock Tower
2. The pedestrian crossings around Fiveways 'village'
3. The pedestrian crossings at the bottom of London Road by Boots

At all three of them, you just end up watching for a gap in the traffic and chancing your luck. The lights seem to be set so that at there's too-large time gaps when NOTHING is on green.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

At all three of them, you just end up watching for a gap in the traffic and chancing your luck. The lights seem to be set so that at there's too-large time gaps when NOTHING is on green.

I would say outside Churchill Square where there are no crossings is worse. But then I know a bloke that has been hit by a bus TWICE outside Churchill Square!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

You can't have been up Fiveways for a while. The Fiveways traffic lights now have a pedestrian crossing function which they didn't have in the 'old' days. In each cycle of the lights there is now an all-red interval (for traffic) and the little green men all light up. My only complaint is that the green men are all on the wrong side of the crossing, so when you're halfway across you don't know if the lights are going to suddenly change against you. Also because the road is so busy (as the traffic is avoiding Lewes Road) the traffic backing up is often stationary, so even when you haven't got a green man you can cut across no problem.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Not being a Brightonite I will throw in a non Brighton road - m4 Junction 10 going both directions.

It seems to have the highest proportion of any road I have been on where people seemingly don't realise it's their turning until 200 yards before it. So many people trying to go from lane 3 to lane 1 in one maneuver. Pretty scary when I first started to drive along it each day

Bit off topic but can you have Brightonite always thought it was Brightonian? Just curious:moo:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

4. The pedestrian crossings around Preston Circus?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
At least those ones work on a controlled sequence of lights and have the green man clearly visible on a big pole.

I hadn't walked through there in a while, but that was my old stomping ground when I lived in Brighton. I assumed they had the new style, waist high green man signs, that nobody can ever see.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The clocktower for me. Pedestrians ignore the crossings (see below rant), cyclists ignore the lights, busses everywhere, blind corners. It's horrible.

Now... about those crossings.

Those new (ish) crossings with the red/green man on the side of the road from which you cross. I think they're pointless, don't do anything to improve safety and in some cases actually make crossings more dangerous.

They're easily obscured if more than 5 people are waiting to cross. The solution of having another sign 5cm above the existing one in my mind shows how flawed they are as a concept. All over the world, in every major city, the signal of where pedestrians should cross is on the other side of the road. I do not understand how these new ones are a good idea or safer.

Thoughts?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I hadn't walked through there in a while, but that was my old stomping when I lived in Brighton. I assumed they had the new style, waist high green man signs, that nobody can ever see.

Nope, they've got old-skool proper green men signs on poles that everybody can see. Might also have the new and rubbish ones also, but never look down that far.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
At least those ones work on a controlled sequence of lights and have the green man clearly visible on a big pole.

Upper Gloucester Road/Queens Road/Gloucester Road is another one. I nearly saw some language students go under a van earlier this year there.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So the works at Seven Dials worked then? That used to be close your eyes and hope for the best.

I remember there being a thread full of bellyaching on here at the time it was done.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not been there for ages so not sure if it has been changed, but the Seven Dials was always good fun when trying to get out of Goldsmid Road (if that is the right name - leads to Davigdor Road, Hove).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So the works at Seven Dials worked then? That used to be close your eyes and hope for the best.

I remember there being a thread full of bellyaching on here at the time it was done.

I was still working when that work was done. The pelican crossings were replaced with zebra crossings. They worked better. I know THPP reckons it's dangerous there, but I found it easier.
The quality of the work done is a different matter. I believe the roundabout has had to be repaired a couple of times due to shoddy materials.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here