Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sidwell wants to carry on competing with Albion's 'top players' [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Steve Sidwell believes he is competing with Albion’s top two players for a starting place.
And, he hopes that will still be the case come September.
Chris Hughton has a decision to make – and options to play with – in central midfield with Dale Stephens now free of suspension and Oliver Norwood on board.
Of course Stephens, Sidwell and Beram Kayal were all available at the same time for several weeks last season.
But, at that stage, Sidwell had not stated his case for a start in the way he has during Stephens’ suspension.
The summer signing from Stoke recognises he is having to push himself to be a contender for the XI when everyone is available. And that can only be a good thing.
He told The Argus: “There is pressure for places.*As a footballer, it pushes you on. If it doesn’t, you will be found out.
“It happened to me last year. I came here in February and had to bide my time because Beram and Dale were absolutely outstanding – as were most of the team but those two especially.
“I thought week in and week out they ran the midfield, they ran games, they dictated our play and you have got to sit back as a fellow professional and hold your hands up to them.
“When the chance comes, you have got to take it.
“Due to Dale’s suspension, I got a chance at the end of the season.*I played well in the Sheffield Wednesday game, the second leg, and again (on Saturday).*I’m putting pressure on myself to play well.”

Which is where the desire for continued competition comes in. Despite the concrete offers and rumoured interest from elsewhere, Sidwell wants Kayal and Stephens to stay at the Amex.He said: “If you want to build on last season you need to keep your best players. I think it is vital for the football club.
“But, at the end of the day, it is a business.*If they get offers they can’t refuse, then so be it.
“If they can let one go and they know they have got someone else they can bring in to do a job, then maybe.
“But for me it’s vital that you don’t want your best players to leave if you want to be achieving good things.*They are certainly in that bracket of being our top players.”
Sidwell enjoyed much of Albion’s performance at Derby and knew they were starting to get a grip when the moans came from the stands.
He revealed: “We said before the game that we, as the away team, needed to use our game management.
“We managed the game well and there were times when we slowed the game down and frustrated them.*We said if we did that we could get the fans on their back.
“We kept a good shape, a good solid base with the four and four and then two strikers in front of us. It was hard to break down.
“We could feel the frustration in the stands which obviously came on to the pitch and forced them into errors.
“We are a good counter-attacking team and, on another day, we counter attack well and score goals.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here