Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tea/coffee and late 1901 ticket - Paul Barber reply and then another Paul Barber reply

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Paul Barber email response to the tea/coffee issue and the delay in receiving 1901 tickets posted in full below:

Thank you for your e-mail. I hope you’re well.

I’m sorry to hear that your tickets/passes have been delayed.

This is due to a fairly small number (around 15%) of 1901 tickets not being collected by ROYAL MAIL. The club was informed of this issue by our printer only this morning. Unfortunately, in situations like this, we are very much at the mercy of our supplier (to inform us promptly if there’s been a delay – they didn’t) and Royal Mail (who, quite frankly, we simply expect to do their jobs and collect large batches of mail as requested – they didn’t).

From time to time, such issues do occur. It’s very frustrating for supporters and for the club - but it is not the club’s fault. As we have explained on many occasions, and in common with most clubs of our size and bigger, we distribute new tickets and passes as close to our first home game of the season as possible.

This is because a lot of experience - both from here and from other clubs – shows us that early distribution of new season’s tickets and passes leads to many tickets and passes being mis–laid ahead of the first home game – and this, in turn, causes a considerable amount of additional work for our supporter services team and delays for supporters.

With regard to the provision of free tea and coffee in 1901 lounges, this has never been a contractual right or official benefit for 1901 members. It was an initial gesture when the stadium opened from the club’s catering partner, Azure (which they funded), and after their departure, it has been something the club honoured (as other caterers couldn’t/wouldn't fund it) without any obligation whatsoever – at a cost of tens of thousands of pounds per season – for a further 3.5 years.

The provision of tea and coffee has never been featured in any literature relating to the sale of the 1901 club, hence there was no mention this time on renewal, and half time tea and coffee featured as the lowest ranked (next to friendly match tickets) of any benefits 1901 members have received during their first term from the 1901 members’ survey. I suspect that thaws because of the inevitable difficulties of delivering up to 3,000 cups of tea or coffee in a 15 minute period.

As such, we have focused our time and energy on the benefits that did matter to 1901 members and to keep the costs of renewal as low as possible. Based on my emails after renewal notices went out, our renewal pricing came as a pleasant surprise to the vast majority of members. We can only retain the most important services and keep prices competitive for members if we manage all other aspects of our cost base efficiently. This we have done and will continue to do.

Finally, of late, we have seen various references to the club “penny pinching” or comments from some supporters dismissing us attempting to secure savings of “tens of thousands of pounds” as if they are somehow insignificant or irrelevant! Unfortunately, when we are asking one man to fund our combined losses of £1.5m per month, such savings - wherever we can make them - are very significant and they are certainly relevant to the chairman.

In summary, far from 1901 members receiving a poor or worse service than anyone else, this football club provides a level of access, dialogue and overall support for fans that I have not seen anywhere in nearly 20 years working in professional football, and certainly in 20 years as a football fan and season ticket holder myself prior to that. Again, we can only provide such a level of engagement if we manage the football club’s business efficiently and remove non-contractual costs when we can.

Thanks again for writing. I’ll leave you to liaise directly with Paul Rogers regarding the most efficient way for you to collect your tickets/passes.

Regards, Paul

Paul Barber
Chief Executive

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So we might lose our tickets if we get them a couple of weeks before the start of the season but we can be trusted not to lose them for the next 6 months? Bizarre thinking...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So we might lose our tickets if we get them a couple of weeks before the start of the season but we can be trusted not to lose them for the next 6 months? Bizarre thinking...

I get that actually - I know where I leave them week by week during the season, but had a scrabble around at the weekend trying to find them............................

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
My reply to his email and then his counter reply. Whilst I don't agree with his response you have to once again applaud the fact he has responded and quickly!

Thanks for replying so quickly again Paul,

I’m afraid I don’t agree with some of your response, certainly not the delay in sending the tickets in the first place, which seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut. If people are stupid enough to lose their ticket then let them queue up at the first game and collect it not force those of us that are not that stupid to do so. Service levels should never fall to the lowest common denominator. As for the ill feeling that the withdrawal of the tea/coffee AFTER renewal has caused I really can’t believe the cost of this will be mitigated by the saving in the service. I appreciate that you are doing what you feel is best for the club, but would suggest that in these isolated instances they are very misguided. Are you happy for me to post your reply in full on North Stand Chat? I won’t do so unless you are happy for me to do so.

Matt

PB response:

Dear Matthew

We will have to agree to disagree. Unfortunately, as I explained, long experience shows us that it is not a small number of tickets that go astray. This has a significant knock-on effect to the club's opening match day operations. Also, far from being the lowest common denominator, the vast majority of tickets go out each season without any issues. Also, as I've explained, we cannot legislate for suppliers badly letting us down. We will address that separately.

Again, as I've explained, it is simply unrealistic to think we can continue to run up costs of tens of thousands of pounds per season on non-contractual benefits to a relatively small section of our supporter base. It just isn't viable for us to do so, and it isn't how we will make his football club more financially sustainable. It would be totally misguided to ignore multiple areas of significant losses, particularly when we are asking one man to find those losses.

As ever, provided my responses are used in full, you are welcome to post them.

Regards, Paul

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I would have thought a charge for replacing lost tickets would be a money spinner for the club, if there are that many of them :smile:

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
I wonder why they did not think to 'organise' this at the beginning of the close season rather than leaving it until so close to the start of the season....

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
My reply to his email and then his counter reply. Whilst I don't agree with his response you have to once again applaud the fact he has responded and quickly!

Thanks for replying so quickly again Paul,

I’m afraid I don’t agree with some of your response, certainly not the delay in sending the tickets in the first place, which seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut. If people are stupid enough to lose their ticket then let them queue up at the first game and collect it not force those of us that are not that stupid to do so. Service levels should never fall to the lowest common denominator. As for the ill feeling that the withdrawal of the tea/coffee AFTER renewal has caused I really can’t believe the cost of this will be mitigated by the saving in the service. I appreciate that you are doing what you feel is best for the club, but would suggest that in these isolated instances they are very misguided. Are you happy for me to post your reply in full on North Stand Chat? I won’t do so unless you are happy for me to do so.

Matt

PB response:

Dear Matthew

We will have to agree to disagree. Unfortunately, as I explained, long experience shows us that it is not a small number of tickets that go astray. This has a significant knock-on effect to the club's opening match day operations. Also, far from being the lowest common denominator, the vast majority of tickets go out each season without any issues. Also, as I've explained, we cannot legislate for suppliers badly letting us down. We will address that separately.

Again, as I've explained, it is simply unrealistic to think we can continue to run up costs of tens of thousands of pounds per season on non-contractual benefits to a relatively small section of our supporter base. It just isn't viable for us to do so, and it isn't how we will make his football club more financially sustainable. It would be totally misguided to ignore multiple areas of significant losses, particularly when we are asking one man to find those losses.

As ever, provided my responses are used in full, you are welcome to post them.

Regards, Paul

Really annoys me when people start replies to emails in which I've signed off as "Matt" with "Dear/Hi Matthew".

Other than that I think his response seems reasonable enough to be honest.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
They already do. £15. Luckily only had to do this once in 5 years.

So it's people like you that have prompted this frankly silly policy of sending tickets out two working days before the season starts? :lolol:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If you read the email exchange I asked him before posting, he is very happy to have his reply posted in full.

If you read my reply a couple up I just said my bad, how many times shall I repeat it?

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Sorry but I also don't buy the excuse that "we took away free friendlies and free tea from the 1901 benefits because these were the least appreciated". Nonsense.

If they ask you the question - which do appreciate most ? The football match ? or the toilet facilities ? or the train service ? - and you rank them in relevance to you - there is no need or requirement to withdraw the least favoured in order to cut costs. Quality customer service is hard to do - especially to dumb football fans who are sadly long-used to being treated with contempt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here