Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garden waste collections

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The council are offering brown wheelie bins for your garden waste, at a cost of £52 for fortnightly collections. It's a really useful service, I'm surprised it's taken this long to introduce it, but it seems a bit expensive. The same service is £35 in the Horsham area, so why is it 50% more expensive here?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The council are offering brown wheelie bins for your garden waste, at a cost of £52 for fortnightly collections. It's a really useful service, I'm surprised it's taken this long to introduce it, but it seems a bit expensive. The same service is £35 in the Horsham area, so why is it 50% more expensive here?

£52 a year for fortnightly collections.

The costs do seem arbitrary - often in partnership with their local contractors...

Free - Eastbourne
£35 - Horsham
£49 - Crawley
£52 - Brighton & Hove
£65 - Worthing / Adur
£65 - Mid Sussex
£70 - Lewes

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Doesn't your local council provide free compost bins, so you can put all of your garden waste in.
My local council does this.
Just an idea :)

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Doesn't your local council provide free compost bins, so you can put all of your garden waste in.
My local council does this.
No. Do they collect those bins, or are you supposed to have enough of them to deal with all of your garden waste?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
£52 a year for fortnightly collections.

The costs do seem arbitrary - often in partnership with their local contractors...

Free - Eastbourne
£35 - Horsham
£49 - Crawley
£52 - Brighton & Hove
£65 - Worthing / Adur
£65 - Mid Sussex
£70 - Lewes
Don't forget to mention whether it's a weekly or fortnightly collection. Worthing at £65 is ok as it's weekly. I don't know about some of the others.

I can see it costing more if the population is spread out a lot, and the council have to drive a distance between each property. Not sure why it would be expensive here.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The bins are free, no collection.
I thought that saving your money and creating your own free compost :)
Indeed, I have a compost bin, but it takes years for some garden waste to reduce.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Indeed, I have a compost bin, but it takes years for some garden waste to reduce.

Yes the idea of the garden waste service is for people who produce too much garden waste to practicably compost. We signed up for the new service a few months ago, and I think it's a useful facility - we share it with next door, and between us we manage to fill it regularly, so for the cost of 50p a week, we don't have to bother with taking the garden waste to the tip (what I minded about that was the mess that it inevitably seemed to leave in the car). Seems a relative bargain to me, even if you can get it cheaper in other areas, and it would definitely cost me more to drive the stuff to Horsham and dump it in a resident's bin there.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I see what you mean, but I cannot believe these councils charge extra for garden waste.
Hillingdon council provide large bags (like the ones used for delivery by builders merchants), as well as the free compost bins, plus all normal waste goes in black bin bags and bones etc get collected in a small green caddy container.
All this provided at no extra charge, obviously all included in the council tax :)

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Eastbourne's service looks like it is free, but it isn't really. Everyone in Eastbourne is being charged £15 (ish) per year for the cost of the collections through their Council Tax, whether they use them or not.

Others, like Worthing I think, introduced the charge at the same time as offering the collections. In this case, only the users pay. As only 25% of people pay for it, the have to charge £60.

Horsham has a combination of the two. It was introduced for free, so everyone paid £15. Then they started charging £35, without reducing everyone else's Council Tax. So in Horsham, non users effectively pay £15, and users pay £50.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The bins are free, no collection.
I thought that saving your money and creating your own free compost :)

We used to have a free collection in Brum,but now I've also discovered the joy of composting.Much better for the garden and environment!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We signed up for the new service a few months ago, and I think it's a useful facility - we share it with next door
So do you store the bin on your property for one week, and the neighbours store in on theirs for the next week etc?

Got to find somewhere to put the bloody thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here