Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T wheel lock nut problem (Merc).

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I've got a 2006 C class Mercedes, when removing a wheel to check the brake pads, the wheel locking nut broke and sheared the lock nut head into the locking nut. Now I have a useless wheel nut key and 3 lock nuts that are ok and one that you can't remove even if I got another key. Mercedes are charging me upward of £80 to just remove the 3 bolts that are ok and supply a new key that I actually don't want as I want to replace them with normal lug nuts. The nuts are quite recessed into the wheel so I don't think any kind of removal tool will work. Also it's a Mcgard nut which has a collar, so even if I could grip it with a socket, it most likely would just spin.
So has anyone any suggestions or recommendations? I've heard the only way to remove the damaged bolt is to drill it out. :ohmy:

Any help is appreciated.

Pic here: image.jpeg

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
The common fix for this is to buy a socket that is the same size as the locking wheel nut (shouldn't slide easily on/over it as then its too big) and you simply hammer it onto the nut as far as you can and then undo it with your wrench / socket driver.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Unless the collar spins.

It should still bite onto the bolt underneath if you get it on far enough. The collar is normally only a couple mill deep.

EDIT - can see from the pic that not much else is showing so probably wont work

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Can you see the back of the stud ? Grind it off from the rear punch it through and replace the stud.

Unfortunately I can't. Yes the collar spins. I was wondering how easy it would be to get the collar off? Will it break off if I bang a smaller socket over it? Also getting a socket that's thin enough and long enough is also a problem.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
You poor sod. I feel your pain. Are they nuts or bolts? If bolts, and depending on the design, you may be able to remove the 3 normal bolts on that wheel (so it is then only held by the single broken one). You just might then be able to turn the whole wheel enough to loosen the bolt. This is a long shot and will obviously only work if the design allows the wheel to rotate around a single bolt - some do. Assuming that doesn't work, it'll need to be drilled out.

Locking wheelnuts are a bloody annoying feature (along with radio codes). Handy perhaps if you live in Toxteth or drive a Ferrari, but a curse to 99% of the population.

Good luck.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Thanks I did read that yesterday. But they come to the conclusion for a Mcgard lock you need to drill it out.

Just realised, that because the key has broken off in the lock the collar shouldn't spin should it?

Therefore you have more options but the cheapest is probably to have a local mechanic weld a bolt onto it for removal.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
You poor sod. I feel your pain. Are they nuts or bolts? If bolts, and depending on the design, you may be able to remove the 3 normal bolts on that wheel (so it is then only held by the single broken one). You just might then be able to turn the whole wheel enough to loosen the bolt. This is a long shot and will obviously only work if the design allows the wheel to rotate around a single bolt - some do. Assuming that doesn't work, it'll need to be drilled out.

Locking wheelnuts are a bloody annoying feature (along with radio codes). Handy perhaps if you live in Toxteth or drive a Ferrari, but a curse to 99% of the population.

Good luck.

Cheers, there's 5 bolts but no the wheel won't rotate around the bolt. But i wondered if I jacked up the car and took out the other lugs, that I might be able to pul the wheel enough to loosen the bolt a bit and might have a better chance at turning it?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Just realised, that because the key has broken off in the lock the collar shouldn't spin should it?

Therefore you have more options but the cheapest is probably to have a local mechanic weld a bolt onto it for removal.

No just the grips of the lock key broke into the grooves the collar will still spin.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
No just the grips of the lock key broke into the grooves.nthe collar will still spin.

Wow talk about bad luck. How tight were the other normal nuts to remove? Should give you an idea as to whether drilling it and using easy-outs / torx sockets would work is they need to not be seized for that to work really.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Wow talk about bad luck. How tight were the other normal nuts to remove? Should give you an idea as to whether drilling it and using easy-outs / torx sockets would work is they need to not be seized for that to work really.

Would you drill and the bang on a torx or just straight off try and bang in?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Would you drill and the bang on a torx or just straight off try and bang in?

You'd need to drill it first and it needs to be right in the centre - use a centre punch / Phillips head socket to mark the centre and make starting to drill easier. Make the hole as big as you can - depending on the size of torx bit you have (bigger is better) but ensure it is small enough so the bit can bite into the metal.

You'll need a High Speed Steel (HSS) Cobalt drill bit in order to drill into the steel bolts and a decent enough drill. Dont try and push too much - let the drill do most of the work. You'll also need a keep lubricating the hole (aye aye) with some WD40.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
You'd need to drill it first and it needs to be right in the centre - use a centre punch / Phillips head socket to mark the centre and make starting to drill easier. Make the hole as big as you can - depending on the size of torx bit you have (bigger is better) but ensure it is small enough so the bit can bite into the metal.

You'll need a High Speed Steel (HSS) Cobalt drill bit in order to drill into the steel bolts and a decent enough drill. Dont try and push too much - let the drill do most of the work. You'll also need a keep lubricating the hole (aye aye) with some WD40.

Brilliant! I'll do this on my day off on Thursday. Thanks so much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here