Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Championship - the most competitive league in the world?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I reckon so and I think all those Premier League pundits that think that Villa and Newcastle are going to walk away with this league are starting to understand too. Realistically any one of maybe 16 or 17 sides have a good claim on making the play-offs and probably up to 10 who could win it. The parachute payments no doubt skew the chances but even taking that into account I struggle to think of another league at this standard of football that is so open.

It's one reason why I wasn't completely distraught at us not getting promoted last year, it guarantees an unpredictable and exciting season.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I reckon so and I think all those Premier League pundits that think that Villa and Newcastle are going to walk away with this league are starting to understand too. Realistically any one of maybe 16 or 17 sides have a good claim on making the play-offs and probably up to 10 who could win it. The parachute payments no doubt skew the chances but even taking that into account I struggle to think of another league at this standard of football that is so open.

It's one reason why I wasn't completely distraught at us not getting promoted last year, it guarantees an unpredictable and exciting season.

It is wide open, but no where near 16 or 17 sides have realistic chances of making the making the playoffs.

Newcastle
Norwich
Derby
Brighton
QPR
Villa
Sheff Weds
Wolves
Possibly Fulham and Huddersfield.

I'd be very surprised if the top 6 don't come from those 10 teams

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Sorry i was totally gutted not going up last year.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It is wide open, but no where near 16 or 17 sides have realistic chances of making the making the playoffs.

Newcastle
Norwich
Derby
Brighton
QPR
Villa
Sheff Weds
Wolves
Possibly Fulham and Huddersfield.

I'd be very surprised if the top 6 don't come from those 10 teams

I'd add Ipswich, Forest, Reading to that list and dark horses Birmingham and Cardiff too.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Brighton
Norwich
Newcastle
Derby
Ipswich
Wednesday

These will the top 6 but not in that order. The rest will be adrift.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I'd add Ipswich, Forest, Reading to that list and dark horses Birmingham and Cardiff too.

I hope not, I've backed Forest to be relegated!

Reading have got so many new players, it's got to be a season of rebuilding surely.

Ipswich are always hard to beat, but got to think they haven't got the quality of some the frontrunners.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I hope not, I've backed Forest to be relegated!

Reading have got so many new players, it's got to be a season of rebuilding surely.

Ipswich are always hard to beat, but got to think they haven't got the quality of some the frontrunners.

All fair points. Regards Reading, I think Brighton are an example of a squad that rebuilt and challenged for a top place very quickly. You're right with Ipswich but they do have Mick McCarthy who has shown that he can still put together a very tidy team capable of promotion.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Last season was our best chance and I think that there will be a change of some player changes soon.
Top 6 this season I recon as seasons like last year don't come round that often.
Could be wrong though.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Last season knocked my socks off after Hyypia's effort. I can't see it this year but I'm still dreaming.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd also add Bristol City.

If the club didn't need the money that promotion brings I'd be very happy to stay in this division year after year.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If the club didn't need the money that promotion brings I'd be very happy to stay in this division year after year.

Not me, I want the best that our team can be and that means playing against some of the worlds biggest teams and players, week after week. Yes, we may struggle and even yo yo for a couple of seasons but ultimately I want to be an established Premier League team. :)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not me, I want the best that our team can be and that means playing against some of the worlds biggest teams and players, week after week. Yes, we may struggle and even yo yo for a couple of seasons but ultimately I want to be an established Premier League team. :)

Probably more big teams in the Championship these days!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Didn't we rebuild at the beginning of last season and look where it got us ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here