Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why starting the new season will be a welcome release for Albion [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Visiting Derby County today is about more than just the first game of the season for Liam Rosenior.
It is the moment when he can finally draw a line under missing out on promotion, to banish the pain of Albion’s near-miss in May.
It has been gnawing away at Rosenior all summer. The opening of a new chapter at the iPro Stadium is when the book closes on the hurt.
Albion’s play anywhere man said: “I don’t know if hangover is the right word but when you are that close to achieving something so special, not just for yourself, the fans, the Board, the people that work here, your family – everything changes in your life being a Premier League player.
“You see people like Jamie Vardy and where he’s come from, and he has a great season and his life has changed. Mahrez, his life has changed for the better, and we were that close to doing that.
“It’s human nature to look back sometimes and be disappointed. Trust me, it affected me. I couldn’t think about anything else in the summer on holiday with the kids.
“I’m thinking about what if this and what if that. I’m not going to lie and say I haven’t thought like that but I think come Saturday, when we have a focus and a real determination to put it right, that will be the time when we can start to look forward again.”
5332730.jpg

Forward with three new ‘Ronseal’ signings in the Rosenior mould. Oliver Norwood, Steve Sidwell and Glenn Murray, above, have also all played at a higher level and do exactly what it says on the tin.
“They are all seasoned pros with experience of this league,” Rosenior told The Argus. “Not just this league, Oliver has played in the Euros (for Northern Ireland), Siddy for Chelsea at the highest level and Glenn has scored goals in the Premier League and the Championship where ever he has gone.
“Because we have a stable squad, I think we can be more selective in the players we bring here. I know fans always want to see players coming in and us spending lots of money but the most important thing is the product on the pitch.
“In this window you see a lot of teams spending a lot of money. It takes time to put them all together. We have that already.

“We almost have a head start in that we know the system that we’re going to play for a good year, we’ve got great relationships all over the pitch, we know each other’s game.“The fact that we have a settled squad is I think worth a lot more than going out spending money on players, because no-one is a guarantee to do well where ever they go.”
Supporters are currently more concerned about the lingering threat of players going out before the transfer window shuts at the end of the month than further squad strengthening.
Rejecting bids from Burnley for Dale Stephens, from Newcastle for Anthony Knockaert and from Crystal Palace for Lewis Dunk, which would have raised close to £20 million in total, has prompted praise from Rosenior for both the club’s stance and the attitude of his team-mates to the interest.
“I think it says it all for the ambition of the football club, the chairman, the people behind the scenes,” he said.
“Because we came so close we can see what’s in sight. The great thing about those three is a lot of players would have their heads turned or they would get frustrated and show their frustration in training.
“One of the strenghts of this club, and those three in particular, is that no matter what goes on around them they come in every day, work extremely hard, and they want to do well for the team. That’s what gets you to where you want to be.
“That’s what you need, that spirit, that determination to do well for each other. You look at Leicester last season, nobody gave them a chance, but by the end of the season every game you just knew they were going to win, because they believed in themselves and they trusted each other.
“It’s the transfer window so we speak about money being spent and this player going here and there, Pogba going to Manchester United for £100 million but nobody looks at your transfer value when you are on a football pitch.
“Obviously it’s about your quality, you need to be a good player, but you need to have a togetherness and spirit that’s going to see you through difficult times as well.”
Article continues after...[h=3]More Articles[/h]

Albion, on the face of it, have a difficult start at Derby – an obvious rival for a top six finish – under Nigel Pearson, a manager Rosenior knows well and respects from their time together at Hull.
Difficult could be regarded as daunting if you include a trip to Newcastle as the third of the opening three away matches. Rosenior, exuding positivity, does not view it in those terms.
He said: “You are almost looking for excuses before the season begins if you start looking and thinking ‘That’s going to be a tough start, that’s a difficult game’, you want to enjoy the challenge.
“It’s going to be a great occasion (at Derby). How many chances do you get to play in front of 32 or 33,000 people, a full house, first game of the season? Who wouldn’t want to play in that?
“From my point of view, I think it’s a great start for us and one I am really looking forward to.”
The versatile Rosenior will be occupying his primary role, a consequence of the defensive reshuffle forced on Chris Hughton by the absence of Connor Goldson from the heart of the defence.
He said: “If I play there that’s the first time I’ve started at right-back since I’ve been here. It’s been strange, I’ve played right midfield, left-back, it doesn’t matter.
“My position is not important. The most important thing is we win the game, that is my only interest.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here