Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Washington DC

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Any advice on sightseeing, food, etc. I've got a few days there next week and hoping the experts of nsc could give me some tips.I have a hotel in Georgetown.

Cheers

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
If you've got access to catchup tv, BBC2 this past week have had a Michael Portillo presented programme on American Railroads. There's a whole programme on Washington DC.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Georgetown is lovely. Plenty of decent bars & restaurants. The rest of the DC city centre is fairly standard. The main tourist attractions are quite easy to get to, it's a very walkable city. Lots of military history: the Vietnam memorial is sobering (for the sheer volume of names on the wall) but I found the Korean war memorial more visually impactive.

Arlington National Cemetery across the river in Virginia is worth a look too.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Loved it. As said Arlington Cemetery, Georgetown and I would definitely add the Smithsonian Space and Aero Museum, Lincoln Memorial, Viet Nam Memorial, Ford Theatre where Abraham Lincoln was shot etc...Enjoy.

Phil B

Jul 27, 2004
Ifield, Crawley
Spent 3 days going in all the museums, the Monument , Smithsonian, Lincoln Memorial, White House etc - then a few days rest Luray way. Great place to visit and their Metro is great !

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Pizza Paradiso, DuPont Circle, is a superb place for a pizza, and their beer selection is outstanding.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
You can have a pretty amazing walk from Arlington to Capitol Hill (or vice-versa) taking in a number of sights along the way. It's an excellent, if knackering, way of getting your bearings as well. This is what immediately springs to mind ...

- Start at Arlington Cemetery Metro
- Aim for the Marine Corps monument which is a monumental sculpture of the famous Iwo Jima flag planting photo - also worth it for inscriptions such as "WWI 1917-1919", "The War Between The States" (The American Civil War) and so on. That gives a good sense of the US perspective on history to take with you to the cemetery itself
- Cemetery
- Walk across bridge to Lincoln Memorial
- Vietnam memorial
- Reflecting pool and WWII memorial
- Washington monument
- White House
Lunch!
- Number of options as you head further East but I would recommend
- National Archives to see Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights and Magna Carta (yes, "our" Magna Carta). It's not just the documents but the cathedral like setting and reverential hush. Makes you appreciate just how important these symbols/artefacts are to our cousins
- National Gallery / Natural History Museum / Smithsonian whichever you prefer.
- Stop off at sculpture garden adjacent to National Gallery for a cup of tea
- Up the hill to The Capitol and round things off with a tour/see Congress in session (a more or less deserted chamber with one person at a time talking for the benefit of TV ... you need to see it, PMQs it isn't!) . You can get in to see Congress if they're in session but you'd need to check security arrangements etc as well. I'm sure they have changed since I was last there about 10 years ago.
- End at Union Station (I always like a good station and this one doesn't disappoint. It's just about the nearest tube station anyway)

Total walk would probably be around 10 miles
It's likely to be very hot and humid so walking will take its toll. It could take longer/be more tiring than you think.
Boris bikes available as an alternative way of getting around. Plenty of bike racks here and there.

That's my tuppence worth - enjoy!

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I've been travelling around America and went to Washington in June. Most of the things are covered above.

If you like Indian food there is a place called Grand Trunk. This place was packed with business people getting lunch on the go or eating in and really enjoyed it.

Google maps: Grand Trunk, 641 Indiana Ave NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
It's a place packed full of American history. You'll love it and, as others have said, most of the main "must see" places are walkable.

Whatever you do, make sure you visit Arlington, the Vietnam memorial, and best of all IMO, the Korean war memorial. It's a very beautiful and moving place.
Try to get to Grand Central Station. It's bloody amazing and full of noise (and trains, of course).

I'm sure you'll have a great time as there is so much to see.

Broomfield

Aug 6, 2011
I would also recommend the baseball its so much more fun than it looks on TV .The national Zoo is also worth a visit and it's free !,
Nearest Tube is Foggy bottom station. Georgetown is the best place to stay and where all the Bars and Restaurants are. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here