Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...top-publishing-photos-and-names-of-terrorists

I see this is a week old, so apologies if this has already cropped up in one of the threads surrounding an atrocity.

To me this is a no brainer, I've often wondered why the murderers are given almost some kind of odd celebrity status.

Agreed. I'm not suggesting that we should deny the existence of terrorist groups, the threat they pose to the UK - or even when atrocities occur. No doubt the bad guys will still access areas of the web - but yes, starve them of the oxygen of headline publicity they crave and use to inflict their doctrine and fear onto the wider world.

I guess the media might question why they shouldn't publish stories they perceive to be 'in the public interest'. However the security services will still discretely harvest whatever intelligence they can from such material. There are controls that can be imposed if the scenario is deemed to be a threat to national security. There is a lot more going on in the background that never reaches the public domain.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I see the Eiffel Tower is being evacuated as we speak. Let's hope it's not another "mentally ill" person with a penchant for muttering something about Allah.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm against it i'm afraid. We need to know.

Is it just covering up the real cause?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm against it i'm afraid. We need to know.

Is it just covering up the real cause?

You need to know their names and see their photos? Really? Why on earth do you need that?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You need to know their names and see their photos? Really? Why on earth do you need that?

Yes i want know everything and not sweep it under the carpet.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes i want know everything and not sweep it under the carpet.

It's actually totally irrelevant what they look like and what their names are surely. You'll still get all the gory details and photos of dead people I'm sure.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Then why do the British/German/French authorities spend so much time and energy deflecting attention away from the attackers' names and origins?

I mean it's irrelevant for the general public obviously. I am not aware that names and origins were being kept under wraps, just about every attack leads to photos and names from what I read

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
just about every attack leads to photos and names form what I read

Yeah. You can certainly say that. There's a pattern to the reports. Initial reports of attack, Press report not terror-related, eye-witness accounts reports contradict this, authorities blame it on mentally ill loner. And repeat.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
A new favorite lately is that he was bullied.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nobody is saying they shouldn't be reported, it's the 'FACE OF EVIL' front page headline and photograph the following day that we could do without.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nobody is saying they shouldn't be reported, it's the 'FACE OF EVIL' front page headline and photograph the following day that we could do without.

Really? I think if someone chooses to be a terrorist then I don't have any qualms with that being their legacy.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Good. I don't name my shits either (or take photos of them).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really? I think if someone chooses to be a terrorist then I don't have any qualms with that being their legacy.
Even if the next murderer in waiting is thinking 'yeah I'll have me some of that notoriety'.

As much as I rally against the psychoanalyst seeming to be definitive I can see the point he is making, at the end of the article:-

In the aftermath of the Nice attack, a psychoanalyst, Fethi Benslama, who teaches at Paris Diderot university, suggested on French radio: “Perhaps it is time that there was a pact in the media to no longer publish the names and pictures of the perpetrators of these acts, as it’s a really big boost to their efforts to make themselves world famous, even while their victims are anonymous and will remain anonymous.”

Benslama said this “glorification” encouraged others to carry out attacks, “to gain glory in the eyes of their commanders and their friends”. He added: “They leave their identity cards – they want to be identified very quickly.”

I wouldn't want them to go unnamed or anything like that, therein lies a whole heap of trouble.
But:- 'the murderer has been named as blah deblah blah of middle eastern descent', and then carry on with the reporting, has to be better than being sensationalised.

In America they are always shooters not murderers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here