Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why dont we have an Olympic Footie Team

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
I do realise I'm going to be shot down in flames for being so stupid... but I would genuinely like to know why/ Gently now......

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Because it has to play as GB&NI and all FAs are guarded about FIFA removing individual voting rights and having to play as one nation rather than 4.

An exception was made for London, but on voluntary basis

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Because it's suggested that the moment we create a GB football team UEFA will force us to abandon the England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland split and enter all their competitions as GB. Thus we have 4 places reduced to one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because the country FA of England Scotland N Ireland and Wales cannot agree on it and basically dont want it as it will set a precedent for World Cup. FIFA want just 1 UK team not 4 as now.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Because the country FA of England Scotland N Ireland and Wales cannot agree on it and basically dont want it as it will set a precedent for World Cup. FIFA want just 1 UK team not 4 as now.
Understand but still a shame

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Because nobody gives a toss about Olympic football.

I couldn't even tell you who the current champions are. Presumably its Brazil ? :shrug:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I'm sure mega-wage paying PL and Championship clubs would be delighted to be missing key players, hanging about in Rio risking all sorts.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
What about the other countries, don't they have fairly big stars representing then?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Once upon a time all Olympic entrants were amateur. It still doesn't seem right that millionaire tennis players are in the Olympics, now.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Think the Welsh are still quite tired from the euros and without them it was decided that England, Scotland and NI didn't have enough talent to put up a challenge.

Renaming the Football League is the thin end of a wedge. One of the strengths of England's football heritage was always to keep any mention of the name of a nation well away from the identity of the game's governing bodies.

What next? The English Football Association? The British Open Golf Championship?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Football in the Olympics is simply nonsense. May as well have snooker.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here