Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At what stage is enough enough?

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
In terms of Dale Stephens.

Seems there is a reluctance to sign a new long term contract, at what stage do the club accept enough is enough and allow him to leave?

Surely the club can't let him leave for nothing at the end of the season but also have to weigh up what's best for the team on the pitch. Tricky one.

I would like to think it's reviewed in January when we have other options lined up, will have a better idea on Norwoods ability and of course our league position. Hopefully it's then a case of final offer or goodbye.

Thoughts?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Decision in January, depending on our position, and value of any offers received.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm not currently fussed, but if we reach January and there's still no sign of a deal then i'll begin to panic. If no deal we have a month to sell him and get in a replacement.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
For this reason I would be surprised if he is still with us come the end of August. That seems like the best solution for everyone, and I am confident we will still have a stronger squad.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We can't cash in now, as long as he isn't being disruptive or whatever then we just let his contract run down or possibly cash in in January if any suitors are still around.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm not currently fussed, but if we reach January and there's still no sign of a deal then i'll begin to panic. If no deal we have a month to sell him and get in a replacement.

Of course, he may wish to stay and run his contract down and also talk to other clubs (is it from 6 months before end of contract?) to sort out his future.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I will be very surprised if he's here by the end of this window. Honestly I'll be a touch surprised if we see him play another competitive game for us.

We have options in the middle of the park with Sidwell, Norwood and Towell and if he's not willing to sign a new deal I can see us trying to cash in sooner rather than later.

With this in mind I said the same thing this time last season about Dunk and look what happened there.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For this reason I would be surprised if he is still with us come the end of August. That seems like the best solution for everyone, and I am confident we will still have a stronger squad.
Strong squad, yes, but unless we get very good money and we can spend it on a good replacement, then we'll have a stronger squad with him.

Only reason to sell is if we need the money (can use it).

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I'm more relaxed now we have Norwood. Wait until January and see where we are. If we're 5 points clear he may sign a new deal.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Depends on his attitude. If it's good I'd be tempted to keep him all season and let him help get us promoted. If we go up he'll sign, if we dont...it'll be a failed gamble. It's not my money though, so it's easy for me to say gamble.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And how do we know there is a reluctance ? I have heard nothing to that effect, other than people thinking there is.

Because he has not signed?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is all a moot point. Tony Bloom knocked back every bid for every one of our stars this summer and Norwood confirmed that he was sold on the Albion precisely because of Bloom's commitment NOT to sell.

I fancy that Stephens WILL be here at the end of the transfer window, I reckon he knows if we're out of the promotion picture he'll be sold in January, but if we're in the picture he'll be offered a new contract and either he'll sign it or let the current one run down then leave next summer for a massive signing-on fee and wages.

I agree with Bloom's policy. The one thing we have going for us when compared with Newcastle, Norwich and Villa is squad stability and familiarity with the teams in this division. If you start selling your best players to trouser some cash then you've lost that team bond that was so carefully built up last season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Also, I think he can do a bit better than Burnley.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Madness to 'cash in' on him now. He's a tremendous player and my player of last season.

I really rate Norwood but Dale is the superior option, particularly in the big games.

Hold out until January and see where we are. I really don't think he's the type of player to kick up a fuss, very grounded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here