Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this really necessary in the UK?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
To those of us with white faces living in the immigrant-friendly, small-L liberal southeast it doesn't seem necessary at all. Perhaps we're not the best judges though.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You know the answer , race is an industry in this country , how else would w*nkers like Clarke Carlisle be given house room and taken seriously.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
To those of us with white faces living in the VIRTUALLY MONOCULTURAL SO ITS VERY EASY FOR US TO BE , small-L liberal southeast it doesn't seem necessary at all. Perhaps we're not the best judges though.
Corrected for you.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I understand the sentiment but some people (as with anything) will use it for negatives, this includes people of both sides. But, I appreciate just how lucky I am to be born into a middle/working class white family in the South East of England, I have been provided with a good education which has set me up for a good career - It is not up to me to determine how people should be allowed to protest.

Race is becoming a big issue once again, racism never went away but there have been more and more high profile racist, or perceived racist attacks/killings.

Holding up commuters and lying on tram lines may not be the best way to go about things as the interruption to peoples daily lives will cause some to be angry and not supportive, but maybe that is what is required to get people to notice.

In my view racism is a sign of idiocy and I have seen it from white to non white and non white to white. unfortunately the EU vote and the recent terrorist attacks are, seemingly, making the divide even bigger.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It may well be the case that racism is a BIGGER problem in communities that have less experience of ethnic diversity than the big cities. At least as far as members of minorities are concerned.

Indeed, and often the areas with the lowers levels of migration were those to vote for Brexit.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Or is it just another opportunity to portray yourself as a victim?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36982748

I don't think it is warranted in the UK, not sure if the movement is warranted in the US either.
The stats themselves used to support the premise of a race issue, are racist in that they divide prison populations, or stop and search, or arrests, by colour, and compare that to the ratio in the national population, without looking at economic factors. I suspect the real problem is that a higher percentage of black families live in lower economic conditions, go to shit schools and have fewer options. If you factor that in I expect the police and criminal justice system looks a lot more even handed, both here and in the US, as far as colour goes.
A lot less even handed when it comes to white collar crime and corruption though.
If you did the split on gender, you would find far more men in prison than women, but no one suggests that the police are sexist against men.
There is possibly also a cycle of mistrust of the police by black people, stemming from genuine racism in the past, leading to animosity towards police, which can result in harsher handling, leading to further belief that the Police treat black people harsher.
Only 1 of the 9 deaths in custody this year so far was a Black or ethnic minority person, what the stats don't tell me is if the other 8 had heart problems, and the 1 black guy "fell down the stairs" or if there were health problems for the black guy and some of the others had an "accident". One or two stats don't give you anything like the full picture.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Race is becoming a big issue once again, racism never went away but there have been more and more high profile racist, or perceived racist attacks/killings.

May I say that this occurs on both sides of any perceived racial divide. However racially abusing a white person doesn't count and doesn't tend to get reported. Also having lived a decade in London (Haringay, Hornsey, Camden) I didn't really see anything racist unlike my frequent visits to Brixton as a kid in the 70s and 80s. But I did get set on by a couple of Middle Eastern Asians one night, fortunately I got away before any serious damage, and no, I didn't bother to report it. But I am, and remain to be, under the impression that blacks and whites are very harmonious nowadays, in my experience. And like anything in life, there will still be isolated incidences.

But Black Lives Matter was brought about by cops gunning down blacks on the streets of the US, so I don't really understand this in the UK.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:drama:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm sure social media plays a big part in this. People over here see what's happening in America and it's forced into their consciousness that it's also a problem over here. You also get groups within every demographic of society who are desperate to protest about something.
How long until Diane Abbott stokes it up in the media..........

larus

May I say that this occurs on both sides of any perceived racial divide. However racially abusing a white person doesn't count and doesn't tend to get reported. Also having lived a decade in London (Haringay, Hornsey, Camden) I didn't really see anything racist unlike my frequent visits to Brixton as a kid in the 70s and 80s. But I did get set on by a couple of Middle Eastern Asians one night, fortunately I got away before any serious damage, and no, I didn't bother to report it. But I am, and remain to be, under the impression that blacks and whites are very harmonious nowadays, in my experience. And like anything in life, there will still be isolated incidences.

But Black Lives Matter was brought about by cops gunning down blacks on the streets of the US, so I don't really understand this in the UK.

Yes, there's a much racism from the ethnic communities as there is to them IMO.

A few years ago, I was with an ex gf (mixed race - Mauritian/Malaysian) and we were driving along Brighton seafront in summer (from the Peir towards West Street) and tried to turn across traffic. A car was stopped in traffic on either a keep clear or yellow hatched box. I looked at them (ethinc family - maybe Pakistani) and asked if they could move forward to I could try to squeeze past. The woman who was driving said there was nothing she could do, so I replied she should have kept it clear. Her husband/partner starts getting abusive and says "Can't you find a girlfriend of your own type" or words to that effect.

Racism is a problem, but I don't accept the inference that it's perpetrated mainly by whites.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I dated a Caribbean girl a few years back and most of her friends were black, it was my first real experience of spending any length of time with anyone other than white English people and it was not a pleasant experience at all.
I'm not generalising as I know everyone is different, but her group of friends had a major chip on their shoulders about us white folk.
From what I've experienced, racism very much works both ways, although it's also very much overlooked when it's black on white.
When I was in my late teens I got jumped by 7 black guys, beat the shit out of me and nicked my bike. I never played the race card, to me it was a bunch of moron criminals, nothing more. But reverse that situation, me and 6 of my white mates beat up a black kid. The media wouod have a field day and there would be rioting!
For the black UK community to be protesting about events in the states is more of a look at me kind of statement, but whatever floats their boat. If it makes them feel better or helps them think theyre making a difference then go for it, as long as theyre not hurting anyone and it's all done peacefully.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
If anyone thinks there isn't black on white racism they should've tried going to a big London comprehensive in the late 70s early 80s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here