Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympics opening ceremony

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
takes place tonight.......football started yesterday, reasoning in that ?

The (women's) football started on Wednesday. The football competition is just too big, with rest days, to fit into the 16 day Olympic period, so they start it early.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yep, happened at London, couple of other sports start before the opening ceremony so they can fit in the schedule.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
23.30 onwards, massive TV audience in Europe for sure

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Really weird that there's been little or no build up to this Olympics.

I think the build up has been fairly normal tbh. Its only because we were having London 2012 forcibly RAMMED into every one of our collective orifices every 2 minutes from 2005 onwards that this one, by comparison, seems relatively low-key

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I think the build up has been fairly normal tbh. Its only because we were having London 2012 forcibly RAMMED into every one of our collective orifices every 2 minutes from 2005 onwards that this one, by comparison, seems relatively low-key

There has been lots of build up, all bad.
Zika virus, demonstrators saying its a waste of money, unfinished poorly built stadiums Russia not being allowed to take part , Brazil being nearly bankrupt and I think I remember a building or something falling down.
Can't remember anything good.
I like a good opening ceremony London was brilliant but they are often turgid.
The bit where all the countries parade though is the most boring piece of TV you could wish to watch.
So the ceremony starts at 11.30 but the BBC programme starts at 8.30 what on earth are they going to talk about for 3 hours. No doubt we will have that Welsh bloke waxing lyrical, they seem to wheel him out before every sporting event these days.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There has been lots of build up, all bad.
Zika virus, demonstrators saying its a waste of money, unfinished poorly built stadiums Russia not being allowed to take part , Brazil being nearly bankrupt and I think I remember a building or something falling down.
Can't remember anything good.
I like a good opening ceremony London was brilliant but they are often turgid.
The bit where all the countries parade though is the most boring piece of TV you could wish to watch.
So the ceremony starts at 11.30 but the BBC programme starts at 8.30 what on earth are they going to talk about for 3 hours. No doubt we will have that Welsh bloke waxing lyrical, they seem to wheel him out before every sporting event these days.

Dan Walker has been broadcasting from Rio on BBC Breakfast.

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
WGR9aAj.png

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Shall we have a game of Opening Ceremony Bingo? What do we think are dead certs (I'm talking in terms of ceremony content, I don't mean "Olympic flame lit by a torch"...that's a little TOO obvious).

I'm waiting for:

-the IOC president blithering on about playing fair and the Olympic Family (subtly ignoring all the drugs stuff)
-light booing of a high level Brazilian politician
-samba bands, many
-Neymar
-chirpy Australians waving selfie sticks and wearing a little too much yellow in the team parade
-a ropey looking Pele

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here