Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Guardian's Football League Preview

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Apols if fixtures.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/aug/04/championship-2016-17-season-preview

Play-off contenders

Disappointed title contenders must face the dreaded play-off lottery where the competition, again, promises to be strong. After missing out so narrowly to Middlesbrough in the race for last season’s automatic promotion slot, the presence of such strong competition this time round suggests Brighton & Hove Albion may have to settle for further play-off drama.

Chris Hughton’s expertly managed side – tipped as relegation candidates this time last year – finished 15 points ahead of Sheffield Wednesday yet still lost to them in the play-off semi-finals. Desperate to put that shattering blow behind them, Brighton’s board have turned down bids for three of their best players, Anthony Knockaert, Lewis Dunk and Dale Stephens. Should Hughton be permitted to keep that trio beyond the end of August – and Newcastle are desperate to lure Knockaert – a side who began last season unbeaten in their first 21 games cannot be underestimated.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think, slightly sadly, that we won't be underestimated quite enough. An earlier-in-the-season win-by-more-than-one might be craved, but I wonder if last time these seemingly snatched victories had us feel that we were unbeatable, whilst oppositions thought us beatable. We'll be strong and sure and fluent, I predict, so, frack it, I am in the mood for a spanking (oo-er) or two to let the league know who's boss. Come on!!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Apols if fixtures.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/aug/04/championship-2016-17-season-preview

a side who began last season unbeaten in their first 21 games cannot be underestimated.

Given that the piece calls us play off contenders and puts us behind the title challengers Newcastle, Villa, Norwich and Derby, it would seem that a side that began last season unbeaten in their first 21 games can be underestimated. We and Wednesday and Ipswich and Cardiff and Brum are automatically worse than a team that came close to a record low number of points last year, because we were only good in the Championship. That is nothing compared to being absolute rubbish in the Premier League.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The media are vastly overrating Villa. I think they'll struggle to start with and recover in the second half of the season to maybe make the playoffs. No way should they be spoken about as a better side than Brighton.

But Newcastle, Norwich and Derby will be very strong.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The media are vastly overrating Villa. I think they'll struggle to start with and recover in the second half of the season to maybe make the playoffs. No way should they be spoken about as a better side than Brighton.

But Newcastle, Norwich and Derby will be very strong.

Still go with that thought, although bang on about Villa

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Still go with that thought, although bang on about Villa

Pretty pleased with that. Thought the managerial appointment was completely wrong and also it's very rare a side just recovers immediately from a campaign as disastrous as their last one.

Still think Norwich and Derby are the two main threats not called Newcastle as well.

I had this horrible premonition before this season that we have more heartbreak before ending 3rd and Villa would sneak in a 6th and do us in the playoffs. That has subsided a touch now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pretty pleased with that. Thought the managerial appointment was completely wrong and also it's very rare a side just recovers immediately from a campaign as disastrous as their last one.

Still think Norwich and Derby are the two main threats not called Newcastle as well.

I had this horrible premonition before this season that we have more heartbreak before ending 3rd and Villa would sneak in a 6th and do us in the playoffs. That has subsided a touch now.

Question is will the two serial chokers do so again, step forward Derby and Albion

Both flying again but Derby were in much the same position as us a few years ago at this stage and they failed to even make the playoffs. We are looking good but I am finding it hard to be anything but worried. Stupid really because these are great times and they may not get any better, so should just carry on enjoying them, which I am.

I know I am one of the more pessimistic NSCers but that's 100% the Albion's fault :lolol:

I DO NOT want the playoffs again, thanks

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Question is will the two serial chokers do so again, step forward Derby and Albion

Both flying again but Derby were in much the same position as us a few years ago at this stage and they failed to even make the playoffs. We are looking good but I am finding it hard to be anything but worried. Stupid really because these are great times and they may not get any better, so should just carry on enjoying them, which I am.

I know I am one of the more pessimistic NSCers but that's 100% the Albion's fault :lolol:

I'm with you Icy. I can't relax and let myself enjoy where we are for fear of it all going catastrophic. Topics like that "who can stop us now" one actually make me shudder a bit.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I'd argue that we didn't choke the automatic promotion last year, there were just two sides marginally better than us.

I genuinely don't think we'll be needing the playoffs this year. We have nothing to be scared of in this league, only two things concern me now, overconfidence and Murray's fitness. One of those concerns can be alleviated in January, the other is in the hands of a fantastic manager and an intelligent, motivated group of players.

I'm as confident as I'm ever going to be.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd argue that we didn't choke the automatic promotion last year, there were just two sides marginally better than us.

I genuinely don't think we'll be needing the playoffs this year. We have nothing to be scared of in this league, only two things concern me now, overconfidence and Murray's fitness. One of those concerns can be alleviated in January, the other is in the hands of a fantastic manager and an intelligent, motivated group of players.

I'm as confident as I'm ever going to be.

We were cursed last year. You are right it is unfair to say we choked. Ref's, chasing hard until the last game whilst Weds had their feet up for two weeks before hand. An injury curse at Hillsborough. The best start to an Albion game I've ever known in the return. The goal that looked like it could turn it all around and then another co k up by the officials allowing a Weds goal that should never have stood. We were cursed rather than choked last year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here