Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bob booker biography

Greville Waterman

Aug 3, 2016
Just to let everybody know that I am currently writing a biography of Bob Booker. This will cover his life and times at all three clubs with which he was associated as a player, coach or assistant manager, Brentford, Sheffield United and of course Brighton. Bob is very supportive of this project and is assisting me in every way possible.

The book will be published around this time next year by Bennion Kearny who have already published a couple of my books on Brentford (see https://www.amazon.co.uk/Growing-Pa...=1470258482&sr=8-1&keywords=greville+waterman if you are interested).

I am initially focusing upon his spell at Brentford but will soon be gathering details and interviewing former team mates and colleagues of his from his time at The Withdean Stadium, and of course his present role behind the scenes.

I would be very interested and grateful to hear from any Brighton fans who would like to share their thoughts and reminiscences on Bob and what he has contributed to your club.

Please leave your messages here or I can be contacted at grevillewaterman@googlemail.com

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Over an hour and no Clipboard Kid quips? [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION], you're slacking.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
My endorsement may not mean much, but I've known Greville for a number of years. He's a top guy who knows his stuff and will do a great job on the Bob book. Please give him any help you can.

Greville Waterman

Aug 3, 2016
Just to update everyone on the progress of my Bob Booker biography. I have now written nearly 30 chapters and over 130,000 words, and am aiming to finish the book by mid-July for publication early next season.

I am currently writing the material on Brighton and have spoken to the likes of Micky Adams, Peter Taylor, Dick Knight, Mark McGhee, Martin Hinshelwood, Paul Brooker, Nick Szczepanik, Tim Carder and Andy Naylor. I am currently trying without success so far to contact Steve Coppell and Russell Slade.

Ben Miller who posts on this board is also helping me with some background material.

If anyone has some stories and memories about Bob and what he brought to the club, his strengths and weaknesses, as well as any views on whether he might have made a decent manager in his own right, I would be very grateful if you could either post them here or email me on grevillewaterman@googlemail.com. My telephone number is 07812 057753.

I would really welcome your help and look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks.

Greville

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Just to update everyone on the progress of my Bob Booker biography. I have now written nearly 30 chapters and over 130,000 words, and am aiming to finish the book by mid-July for publication early next season.

I am currently writing the material on Brighton and have spoken to the likes of Micky Adams, Peter Taylor, Dick Knight, Mark McGhee, Martin Hinshelwood, Paul Brooker, Nick Szczepanik, Tim Carder and Andy Naylor. I am currently trying without success so far to contact Steve Coppell and Russell Slade.

Ben Miller who posts on this board is also helping me with some background material.

If anyone has some stories and memories about Bob and what he brought to the club, his strengths and weaknesses, as well as any views on whether he might have made a decent manager in his own right, I would be very grateful if you could either post them here or email me on grevillewaterman@googlemail.com. My telephone number is 07812 057753.

I would really welcome your help and look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks.

Greville

Once again, any help you can give Grenville will make for an even better book on the mighty Bob.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Two things;

1) It was Withdean Stadium NOT THE Withdean

2) Make sure you have an amusing quip about his Freddie Mercury impersonation at the 01/02 Title Celebration on Hove Lawns.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
2) Make sure you have an amusing quip about his Freddie Mercury impersonation at the 01/02 Title Celebration on Hove Lawns.

I'm certain you're wrong.

It was Hove Town Hall.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Me and Bob took a leak next to each other at Wycombe a few days after him and Russell Slade had just been relinquished of their duties. Far from bitter he'd still come along to support the Albion. I asked him if he had any insider knowledge on the new appointment. He told me it would be John Gregory (who incidentally was also at Adams Park that day). It wasn't John Gregory. It was Gustavo Augusto Dominguez Poyet. He lied to me. That's right. Robert Booker is a LIAR!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bob did his Mercury at the council offices when Peter Taylor was manager. Taylor was that embarrassed that he told DK of his resignation on the spot. Micky was manager when they did their bit on the Hove Town Hall balcony. Bob as Freddie.jpg

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Two things;

1) It was Withdean Stadium NOT THE Withdean

To be fair, many, many people called it The Withdean, including fans, the owner, managers, press, players, I guess it kind of stuck.

As for the title celebration, it wasn't there.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Blimey.

What was the Hove Town Hall one then ? I deffo remember standing in the road with the crowds when the players came out on the balcony.

Hove Town hall was the year before when we were promoted from League 2 to League 1 but in my memory he did it both years - its funny in my memory it seems there was only a couple of 100 people who turned out then and compare than to this year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here