Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will YOU be happy if Brighton & Hove Council have loaned in excess of £36m .....

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

D

Deleted User X18H

Of public money to the private enterprise that is the i360?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Nice mix of future and past tense.

Are the council on a different time line ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's not quite the whole story though

Brighton Council is run by Labour and the Labour group voted against the loan. It was passed by the Greens and the Tories rather than the council as a whole

D

Deleted User X18H

The ICO have decreed that the council release papers in relation to an FOI request re their business plan. The council have appealed this.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
The £36 million coming from Brighton and Hove City Council is not from the authority’s own funding pot. It isn’t local tax payers money and it wasn’t a case of spend it on the i360 or paying for children’s centres, schools or social care. The money comes from Public Works Loans Board which only funds projects with a commercial return. Projects like the i360. If the loan had not been earmarked for the i360, it simply wouldn’t have been coming to Brighton and Hove. So therefore it is not a loan from the Council. The Council merely acts as a middle man. So end of thread I think!

D

Deleted User X18H

The £36 million coming from Brighton and Hove City Council is not from the authority’s own funding pot. It isn’t local tax payers money and it wasn’t a case of spend it on the i360 or paying for children’s centres, schools or social care. The money comes from Public Works Loans Board which only funds projects with a commercial return. Projects like the i360. If the loan had not been earmarked for the i360, it simply wouldn’t have been coming to Brighton and Hove. So therefore it is not a loan from the Council. The Council merely acts as a middle man. So end of thread I think!
I think you mean guarantor

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No, not happy at all. And not happy either with it being a big part in the Brighton Eye coming down. The Eye was a great part of the seafront landscape.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
No, not happy at all. And not happy either with it being a big part in the Brighton Eye coming down. The Eye was a great part of the seafront landscape.

Yes, it has definitely made that side of the pier less attractive with the wheel being taken down. But I can understand why it had to go to maximise the i360's revenue.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here