Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EFL Trophy format has really annoyed the South Coast morons

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
#twats*

*but, I'm with them on this. Its a horrible development, and they are right to show their contempt for it.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
This bit is odd

'Cambridge United chief executive Jez George said the changes may not have gone ahead had EFL clubs known some Premier League sides would reject the invitation to play.'

So they were happy to help the academies of the big clubs but not the others?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This bit is odd

'Cambridge United chief executive Jez George said the changes may not have gone ahead had EFL clubs known some Premier League sides would reject the invitation to play.'

So they were happy to help the academies of the big clubs but not the others?

That is indeed a slightly lame argument, yes.

Basically, the argument should be about the inclusion of any academy sides, as it devalues the competition, and frankly is down right patronizing.

Some CEO's seemingly were happy to bend over and accept this (and the £1m sweetener that came with it) when they thought a little bit of Premier League glamour was coming their way, but not now they are drawn to play Reading or Brighton's kids.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
That is indeed a slightly lame argument, yes.

Basically, the argument should be about the inclusion of any academy sides, as it devalues the competition, and frankly is down right patronizing.

Some CEO's seemingly were happy to bend over and accept this (and the £1m sweetener that came with it) when they thought a little bit of Premier League glamour was coming their way, but not now they are drawn to play Reading or Brighton's kids.

Exactly. the hypocrisy is astounding.

'Of course the kids can play...what we can't get money from advertising Cambridge v Man Utd (U23) on half and half scarves etc. In that case we are out'

I think it is a horrible way of treating that cup, and remember when we were in it and thinking it was a bit of a waste of time (apart from when we nearly made Wembley!)

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Whilst I can understand where they're coming from, I don't recall much in the way of complaint when it was thought that PL teams would be taking part (as already mentioned).

It's almost like Pompey fans are labouring under the illusion that anyone gives the tiniest of tosses about them, barring opportunities to point and laugh.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Is the Colchester game the EFL Cup or Trophy? Is it the same thing or two different competitions?
Could be confusing if people turn up expecting a full BHA squad.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whilst I can understand where they're coming from, I don't recall much in the way of complaint when it was thought that PL teams would be taking part (as already mentioned).

It's almost like Pompey fans are labouring under the illusion that anyone gives the tiniest of tosses about them, barring opportunities to point and laugh.

That's unfair on Portsmouth who voted against the proposals from the outset.

Is the Colchester game the EFL Cup or Trophy? Is it the same thing or two different competitions?

Colchester is the League cup. (Leyton Orient is the JPT thing).

Although you'd still be a bit naïve to expect a full squad for the Colchester game...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well I'll be BOYCOTTING all the EFL Trophy games as well.

primarily because I couldn't give a shit about them

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

The Colchester game is the EFL Cup (League Cup) for the 1st team.

The EFL Trophy games are the old Johnson Paint jobbies for the U23's.

[edit] Sorry, I see its already been answered

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Once the games kick off, we'll all walk out to show our contempt for this decision," Bob Beech from group SOS Pompey told BBC Radio Solent. "We thought if fans boycotted the games completely, the club would suffer financially through no fault of their own. We voted through unanimously at our own meeting to walk out shortly after kick-off."

So you're going to get a handful of Pompey fans going to all the faff of getting tickets and turning up at Fratton on a wet and windy Tuesday night, taking their seats, and then walk out as soon as the ref blows the whistle to start the game. This I GOTTA see :lolol:

The idea of a walkout is that its a MASS walkout to make a point. I'd be amazed if more than a dozen people bother to turn up just to do that. Nobody will even notice. What are they going to do, go home ? Have a demo outside ? This could be the most pitiful protest since that Palace "demonstration" when they went back into admin (again).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Exactly. the hypocrisy is astounding.

'Of course the kids can play...what we can't get money from advertising Cambridge v Man Utd (U23) on half and half scarves etc. In that case we are out'

I think it is a horrible way of treating that cup, and remember when we were in it and thinking it was a bit of a waste of time (apart from when we nearly made Wembley!)
Does that not make you nearly as bad as the rest of them? I was quite glad we didn't make it to Wembley in a way as it wouldn't have been the full experience.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Awkward when the final will be two Premier League teams' kids facing off... are many of their fans realistically gonna be willing to shell out for a trip to Wembley to watch that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here