Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruno braced for heavyweight role [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
/ Andy Naylor, Chief sports reporter

Bruno is bracing himself for a heavyweight challenge as emergency centre-half in Albion’s Championship opener at Derby County on Saturday.
The skipper and right-back will be pressed into service at the heart of the defence at the iPro Stadium unless the Seagulls can persuade Blackburn Rovers to part company with transfer target Shane Duffy or they land an alternative.
Bruno continued alongside Lewis Dunk in yesterday’s 1-0 friendly defeat by Lazio at the Amex, with Connor Goldson still sidelined by knee damage sustained on the pre-season training camp in Tenerife.
The Spaniard said: “It’s tough for me. I know I have played there before and it’s difficult. In England it’s more difficult.

“I am playing against strikers who are 20 kilos more than me, they are stronger, but I try to play as smart as possible and try my best.”Boss Chris Hughton has faith in his captain’s capacity to deal with Derby next to Dunk. “Bruno is an experienced player,” he said. “I would certainly be more nervous if it was somebody not like Bruno, one of the young centre-halves going in.
“It is what it is. We have to work around it the best way we can. Bruno’s done it before, he’s a player with big experience and until we solve that problem it’s one we have to look at.
“He is a good, all-round player. He reads the game and is somebody that can fit in. He has also played here in midfield – he is that type of player. Sometimes you have to make the most of what you’ve got.”
Hughton says Steve Sidwell “will be available” to deputise for the banned Dale Stephens in central midfield at Derby.
Sidwell (knee) was not risked against Lazio and neither was winger Kazenga LuaLua, due to a minor injury.
Long-term centre-half injury victim Uwe Huenemeier has been earmarked for a mid-September return to action.
Hughton said: “We’re hoping Uwe will be back maybe just after the international break.”

[h=4]Promoted stories[/h]

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here