Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite Sussex CCC line-up

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Given the dire performances of the side this season how about cheering ourselves up with our all time dream team and would be for both Championship and limited over comps. This is chosen from across the time you've watched them. Doesn't even have to be the best X1; just your favs. (Best not to go for anyone just flown-in for a few 20/20s?)

Here's mine going back to mid 60s:

Suttle (Worthing resident)
Buss (M) (Nostalgia pick)
Goodwin (Glory days)
Miandad (Bloody good and would wind-up opposition)
Greig (Legend)
Parks (First of the wicket-keeper batsmen)
Imran (Played for Worthing, if good enough to get in the team!)
Le Roux (Fearsome)
Snowy(Cricket Rebel; poet; made the Aussies hop around)
Mushy (What can you say?)
Buss (A) (Steady, used to clock up 100 wickets a year and would keep his brother company)

12th man: Dexter - sorry Ted, you might have captained England but Mike Buss edges you out.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
My favourite XI from those I've seen:

Ward (Top bloke)
Athey (Blocker opener)
Goodwin (Glory days too)
Adams* (Hard, nasty, arrogant, good captain)
Wells (Sussex boy and legend despite rebel tour)
Prior+ (Top bloke)
Stephenson (Legend despite rebel tours)
Martin-Jenkins (Gave 100% and good public school sort)
Lewry (Underrated and unlucky with injuries)
Salisbury (Fantastic on his day and I'm picking 2 spinners)
Muhstaq Amed :)bowdown: )

12th man: Kirtley (See Martin-Jenkins, but not as nice)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Joyce
Wessels
Goodwin
Parker
Adams
Greig
Prior
Imran
Le Roux
Snow
Mushy

Some great memories from these players.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think a team should contain more than one overseas player, it gives it an unreal look

I'm sticking to players that I've seen (so no Tate, Fry, Ranji or Langridge who would all get in an all-time great team)

Dexter
Barclay (c)
Goodwin
Parker
Suttle
A Greig
Reeve
Prior
Snow
Mushy
Thomson

Batting down to 8 and plenty of bowling. Barclay's probably the weakest player there but he's in because he was an excellent and imaginative captain. All of them test players (bar Suttle - and he was in a touring test party)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I don't think a team should contain more than one overseas player, it gives it an unreal look

I'm sticking to players that I've seen (so no Tate, Fry, Ranji or Langridge who would all get in an all-time great team)

Dexter
Barclay (c)
Goodwin
Parker
Suttle
A Greig
Reeve
Prior
Snow
Mushy
Thomson

Batting down to 8 and plenty of bowling. Barclay's probably the weakest player there but he's in because he was an excellent and imaginative captain. All of them test players (bar Suttle - and he was in a touring test party)

Like it. Take your point about overseas issue but the joy of this is that it's totally and unapologetically subjective exercise - just player who you've enjoyed watching. Pleased to see NI Thompson as he represents another Worthing link: took 10 wickets in an innings at the Manor Ground. (I've just realised on the overseas thing that Dexter, Barclay, Reeve, Goodwin, Greig and Prior were all born in other countries.........might be wrong on these. And anyway Barclay was so posh that he came from another planet - although agree with your comments on his captaincy.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
My favourite XI from those I've seen:

Ward (Top bloke)
Athey (Blocker opener)
Goodwin (Glory days too)
Adams* (Hard, nasty, arrogant, good captain)
Wells (Sussex boy and legend despite rebel tour)
Prior+ (Top bloke)
Stephenson (Legend despite rebel tours)
Martin-Jenkins (Gave 100% and good public school sort)
Lewry (Underrated and unlucky with injuries)
Salisbury (Fantastic on his day and I'm picking 2 spinners)
Muhstaq Amed :)bowdown: )

12th man: Kirtley (See Martin-Jenkins, but not as nice)

Enjoying your choices and comments. Lewry played for Goring CC and more or less went straight into 1st team county cricket, just missing Test match selection. Liked his pint and cigs, I believe. RMJ was by all accounts a proper gent. I'd have like to find a space for Paul Parker - fab fielder, good bloke and a local (his school used to play mine but for some reason he was in the 1st X1 and I was in the 2nds.) Your team score high on entertainment value ( 2 leggies!) other than Bill Athey?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've just realised on the overseas thing that Dexter, Barclay, Reeve, Goodwin, Greig and Prior were all born in other countries.........might be wrong on these.

... as was Paul Parker, born in Rhodesia (as it then was)

None of my 11 were born in Sussex - something I certainly wasn't planning

How about a team of Sussex-born players from the last 50 years?

M Buss
Nash
A Wells
Parks
N Lenham
Oakman
C Wells
A Buss
Kirtley
Marlar
Lewry

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Imran Khan
Jim Parks ( Haywards Heath Resident)
Ted Dexter
John Snow
Mushy
Wells senior ( played against him)
Ken Suttle (meet His Wife recently reminiscing about him being knocked out at hove by the West Indies in 1966 at hove. We won
Tony Grieg
Reeves
Buss brothers
The One eyed Indian who was Capt
Goodwin

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
... as was Paul Parker, born in Rhodesia (as it then was)

None of my 11 were born in Sussex - something I certainly wasn't planning

How about a team of Sussex-born players from the last 50 years?

M Buss
Nash
A Wells
Parks
N Lenham
Oakman
C Wells
A Buss
Kirtley
Marlar
Lewry

Nice one. The only one of those that I'd query - just because he was a couple of years before my time - would be Marlar (although I well remember him as a very opinionated Sunday Times journo). Les Lenham was class (and his brother went out with my sister!). Not sure this team would hammer a Yorkies X1!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Imran Khan
Jim Parks ( Haywards Heath Resident)
Ted Dexter
John Snow
Mushy
Wells senior ( played against him)
Ken Suttle (meet His Wife recently reminiscing about him being knocked out at hove by the West Indies in 1966 at hove. We won
Tony Grieg
Reeves
Buss brothers
The One eyed Indian who was Capt
Goodwin

The Nawab of Patuadi was the Indian?
Went to school with one of Suttle's sons - he showed no interest at all in cricket. Jim Parks now lives in....(sorry)......Worthing (unless he's moved recently).
Think you'd need to make a couple of harsh selection decisions on the morning of the game.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
My all-time favourite Sussex Xi would include Giles Cheatle, Austin Edward Werring Parsons, Paul Philipson, Jerry Morley, John Spencer, Roger Philip Twells Marshall, Tony & Mike Buss, John Denman and Peter Graves but that is another story altogether.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The only one of those that I'd query - just because he was a couple of years before my time - would be Marlar (although I well remember him as a very opinionated Sunday Times journo). Not sure this team would hammer a Yorkies X1!

I was cheating a bit with Marlar as he only played one match in the time I've been watching Sussex (and I didn't see it) but I thought we needed another spinner. He was a decent player though, nearly 1,000 wickets at 25.

Yes, I think any all-star Sussex side (unless it was heavily overseas-biased) would struggle against a Yorkshire or Middlesex team of the last 50 years

LeTiss

May 20, 2010
Southwater, Horsham
Great Thread, my line up would be
1. Wessels
2. Miandad
3. Parker
4. Greig
5. Nawab (never saw him play but Grandad use to work for him and Dad played football with him)
6. Imran (My favourite Sussex Cricketer)
7. Le Roux
8. Prior
9. Lewry (Mother in Laws cousin and very under rated)
10.Snow
11. Mushtaq.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
From my limited time as a supporter (just the 12 years).

Joyce, Wright, Goodwin, Adams, Yardy, Prior, RMJ, Mushtaq Ahmed, Magoffin, Lewry, Kirtley

I guess I'm lucky to only know Sussex as a successful team!

Last edited:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
From my limited time as a support (just the 12 years).

Joyce, Wright, Goodwin, Adams, Yardy, Prior, RMJ, Mushtaq Ahmed, Magoffin, Lewry, Kirtley

I guess I'm lucky to only know Sussex as a successful team!

Nice, but I would try to fit Bevan in somewhere.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Great Thread, my line up would be
1. Wessels
2. Miandad
3. Parker
4. Greig
5. Nawab (never saw him play but Grandad use to work for him and Dad played football with him)
6. Imran (My favourite Sussex Cricketer)
7. Le Roux
8. Prior
9. Lewry (Mother in Laws cousin and very under rated)
10.Snow
11. Mushtaq.

A useful side indeed. If Snowy was in the right mood this bowling attack would run through most teams - and might even dismiss Boycott's granny!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
My all-time favourite Sussex Xi would include Giles Cheatle, Austin Edward Werring Parsons, Paul Philipson, Jerry Morley, John Spencer, Roger Philip Twells Marshall, Tony & Mike Buss, John Denman and Peter Graves but that is another story altogether.

A side for Sussex cricket connoisseurs! John Denman must have been the slowest (and shortest?) ever fast bowler?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here