Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What has happened to Sussex CCC this summer?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Relegated in the championship and still have only managed one win so far in Div 2. Only one win in the one-day cup and bottom of the table. T20 won 5 lost 6.

Pretty awful. Seems like not too many seasons ago we were county champions.

Who or what is to blame?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Poor management leading a group of players with a batsman short! Actually, I'd say very poor management!

Sussex have been genuinely unlucky in some aspects of this season. Started off with an injury to captain Wright, and 'the Fizz' never turned up when he was needed. I think the original plan was get him in early, and replace Taylor with another overseas batter for the final 5 20/20 games. As for the Championship, 1 win doesn't do the team justice. They've done a lot better than that, and have yet to loose a game in that format. In the 50 over competition, Sussex have been pants for years. Still no excuses really, they have players good enough to win more than once.

As for the group of players Sussex have, they really are a batsman short. Bowling department looks very strong, as do the young players. In limited overs, not enough players to do the damage other than Wright and Nash. In the championship format, a lot of responsibility on Joyce to score runs. Finch and Wells look promising, but too many players don't preform on a consistent basis. Rumours of Joyce retiring / leaving Sussex too, so really need to get new batsmen in. Been a disappointing season from Machan and Brown too. 3 years ago, the future with those two looked a lot better than the reality of now!

Not all doom and gloom though! With Nash, Wright, Jorden and Mills at the club, we'll be a strong limited overs side again next season. And youngsters like Garton, Archer, Finch and Salt have excellent potential.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Too much inexperience on & off the pitch, farce of a situation where Goodwin only available as batting coach for 3/4 months but hopefully Davis & Wright will learn from their mistakes, Rome wasnt built in a day.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It's a team with some very exciting youngsters coming through. This should not be forgotten when assessing the curren campaign.

Exciting in what way? They generally flatter to deceive.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Sussex are a mess. I wasted the day watching them today. I don't think the youngsters coming through are good enough. They're not mentally up to it - look at finch's dismissal today. The coaching is not Working - it needs some tough love. I'd put Adams in charge.
Individually
Joyce - great player and full of runs in the champ but only looks half interested.
Salt, finch, machan, wells - this lot should be told only one of them will be retained. Create some hunger. They should be in no doubt they are fighting for their careers.
Nash - lovely guy but last chance saloon
Wright - he looks indecisive in the field . Is he enjoying the captaincy ? I wonder
Brown - mediocre. Needs more pressure on his place
Jordan - doubt he will be up for slumming it in div 2 for long
Archer, Robinson, whiting ham - best of the talent coming through . But long way to go
Hatchett - not good enough although maximum respect for what he has overcome
Briggs - oh dear. He looks dire
Beer - play him or get rid
Shahzad - lost his zippiness. Average

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As has been said a batsman short, plus generally in the 4 day format we only seem to bat well in one innings rather than both. Also have dropped catches at important times. In the home Championship game against Essex we were on top with Essex batting to save the game, and having got Cook out in the first innings for 1, he was dropped in the slips on 1 in the 2nd innings and he went on to make a 100 and save the game for Essex.

The young bowlers are progressing well and if we retain them we will be ok in the future,

Also missing both Wright and Jordan at the start of the season impacted on results.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Sussex are a mess. I wasted the day watching them today. I don't think the youngsters coming through are good enough. They're not mentally up to it - look at finch's dismissal today. The coaching is not Working - it needs some tough love. I'd put Adams in charge.
Individually
Joyce - great player and full of runs in the champ but only looks half interested.
Salt, finch, machan, wells - this lot should be told only one of them will be retained. Create some hunger. They should be in no doubt they are fighting for their careers.
Nash - lovely guy but last chance saloon
Wright - he looks indecisive in the field . Is he enjoying the captaincy ? I wonder
Brown - mediocre. Needs more pressure on his place
Jordan - doubt he will be up for slumming it in div 2 for long
Archer, Robinson, whiting ham - best of the talent coming through . But long way to go
Hatchett - not good enough although maximum respect for what he has overcome
Briggs - oh dear. He looks dire
Beer - play him or get rid
Shahzad - lost his zippiness. Average

Talk about knee jerk reaction. ��

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
exciting in the respect that in perhaps a year or two they will develop their unquestionable skills and I'm sure will be huge assets to sccc. This can only be described as exciting IMO.

I hope you are right, I really do. I just don't think our young players have got the determination to cut it at key moments.
Also - hardly a knee jerk reaction, Sussex have been poor for a while now. The batters looked shot today. Would you keep Davis ?
Thoughts on Adams?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Some interesting analysis. Thank you. However it does not really explain how we could have gone from County Champions to the lower reaches of Div 2 in a few short years.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Some interesting analysis. Thank you. However it does not really explain how we could have gone from County Champions to the lower reaches of Div 2 in a few short years.
We've only got three batsmen, Nash, Joyce and Wright, if they fail we lose.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Poor management leading a group of players with a batsman short! Actually, I'd say very poor management!

Sussex have been genuinely unlucky in some aspects of this season. Started off with an injury to captain Wright, and 'the Fizz' never turned up when he was needed. I think the original plan was get him in early, and replace Taylor with another overseas batter for the final 5 20/20 games. As for the Championship, 1 win doesn't do the team justice. They've done a lot better than that, and have yet to lose a game in that format. In the 50 over competition, Sussex have been pants for years. Still no excuses really, they have players good enough to win more than once.

As for the group of players Sussex have, they really are a batsman short. Bowling department looks very strong, as do the young players. In limited overs, not enough players to do the damage other than Wright and Nash. In the championship format, a lot of responsibility on Joyce to score runs. Finch and Wells look promising, but too many players don't preform on a consistent basis. Rumours of Joyce retiring / leaving Sussex too, so really need to get new batsmen in. Been a disappointing season from Machan and Brown too. 3 years ago, the future with those two looked a lot better than the reality of now!

Not all doom and gloom though! With Nash, Wright, Jorden and Mills at the club, we'll be a strong limited overs side again next season. And youngsters like Garton, Archer, Finch and Salt have excellent potential.

Thanks to the weather intervening on more than one occasion.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
What's wrong?

Montgomery
Goodwin
Cottey
Adams
Ambrose
RMJ
Prior
MUSHY
Kirtley
Lewry
Someone else.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If there was ever a 'golden age' for a team that punched above it's weight it was Sussex for half a decade 10 years ago. It was beautiful to see.

Unfortunately, we are now crap.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here