Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eastbourne Airshow - advice please

Going with Commander and his missus and two of my grandchildren on the Sunday. I've never been before, would we be better to go by train and walk to the seafront or drive and park either near the seafront (which I assume is going to be impossible) or somewhere out of town? Grandchildren are still quite small, one is a baby and the other is 2 and a bit so we'll have buggies and ideally need to have something to keep the elder grandson amused if he gets bored with the planes and preferably somewhere with toilets or baby changing facilities.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's train strike week

Edit: but you are going Sunday, but still trains will no doubt be an issue and they have a queuing system to get home which might not be ideal for little ones

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'd park in either the station or Junction road car park and walk or get a taxi to the seafront.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Seems a good idea

We love going to Eastbourne Air show but find that it seems to get busier and busier each year, taking some of the enjoyment out of the day with the packed seafront and all seating gone. Not to mention driving in and out of Eastbourne itself. You are not going to be as close to the action but we are hoping the views avaiable will make up for that.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Beachy Head gives a quite different view of proceedings. Not bad as you see some planes lining up but the focus of the display is really the pier. I would drive, get there reasonably early and park for free somewhere in the side streets between Seaside (road) and the Seafront. Then walk to seafront aiming for east of the Pier.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We love going to Eastbourne Air show but find that it seems to get busier and busier each year, taking some of the enjoyment out of the day with the packed seafront and all seating gone. Not to mention driving in and out of Eastbourne itself. You are not going to be as close to the action but we are hoping the views avaiable will make up for that.

I've never been ...having lived in Shoreham all my life you'll know where I normally go...but this year is obviously different,

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I would forget the trains. They are normally a mare after with a queuing system.The park and rides get very very busy and slow after the event as with any venue but there is a good one near the sovereign centre. I would park there or one of the side roads around that are as all free. Get the PnR in but walk back as will probably be quicker. I think its probably a mile from the pier but an easy flat stroll.

There are loads of things to keep the kids amused from trampoline and bouncy castles etc.Just be aware that there will be loads of stalls to fleece you for the grand kids !

Enjoy the day, fingers crossed the sun is out !

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
We live about 6 miles away and traffic/driving can be a nightmare.
If you can go by train, then park at Polegate and get the train.
If you have to drive, then you can probably park near the marina end but you will have to walk a mile and half to get to the pier area. You may be better off using the park and ride if you have kiddies.
The down side is trying to get out of Eastbourne after, due to traffic, be prepared for a 2 hour crawl to get back to the A22 at Polegate.
The other option is to park at Beachy Head and watch from there.We have done that, and its good, you get a great view of all the planes, cos they fly past there, we
were there one year and the Red Arrows were doing their display and one flew over so low, I swear you could see his face.
Be aware they charge for parking up there, last time I went it was £5'er I think, but its still a crap crawl trying to get home.
If the trains are running, that is your best bet, 10/15 minute walk to the seafront area.

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
I'm working on the seafront on Airbourne. I am not pleased. All 4 days too :ffsparr: Going to bring out all the dick heads. All i need :tantrum:

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
We live about 6 miles away and traffic/driving can be a nightmare.
If you can go by train, then park at Polegate and get the train.
If you have to drive, then you can probably park near the marina end but you will have to walk a mile and half to get to the pier area. You may be better off using the park and ride if you have kiddies.
The down side is trying to get out of Eastbourne after, due to traffic, be prepared for a 2 hour crawl to get back to the A22 at Polegate.
The other option is to park at Beachy Head and watch from there.We have done that, and its good, you get a great view of all the planes, cos they fly past there, we
were there one year and the Red Arrows were doing their display and one flew over so low, I swear you could see his face.
Be aware they charge for parking up there, last time I went it was £5'er I think, but its still a crap crawl trying to get home.
If the trains are running, that is your best bet, 10/15 minute walk to the seafront area.

I wouldnt even come as close as that for the train, parents live in the country and came to visit us in Polegate via Hailsham last year and took best part of an hour from there due to the traffic and madness around the McDonalds roundabout / A27 junction

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Whenever we've been we've just parked on side streets up the Holywell end of town though I guess it's been a few years.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Be aware that the free parking on the seafront has been cancelled this year which will put pressure on the free parking around Holleywell.
The only way to avoid traffic is to get there early and leave early.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Flight schedules are normally released beforehand and I find busy times depend on whether the red arrows open or close the show.
If you choose beach get there early (10:30) and do the display area to keep kids busy before flights start.
Spent a day on beachy head last year with parking £5. Most of the planes bank there before going down to display.
As mentioned in a previous thread,when the red arrows have finished their display turn round and face East Dean as 2 of then fly over you so close you can touch them (you forget they have gone behind you as part of the end display so fly out to sea to catch the rest of the team).

I remember the good old days when Sussex still played cricket at the Saffrons. Play would be suspended to allow low-flying aircraft to swoop over the ground and entertain us all. Marvellous scenes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here