Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some people are on the pitch,they think it,s all over.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I was 8 years old camping in the New Forest with Mum , Dad and Sis having travelled down in Dad's Austin Ruby Seven that had cost him a fiver and listened to the match on a transistor radio . Happy Days.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Clearly if I was alive at the time I would probably love re watching it, however I do find 1966 rather tedious.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
My Dad went to the final. He got his ticket through a work colleague who had a spare, as the work colleagues brother, who was going, couldn't get out of playing cricket.

I know someone else who went with his mates up from Bexhill on the morning of the final and managed to buy a ticket from a tout for £5.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I was a 12 year old delivering the Evening Argus on the Knoll Estate. There was not a soul about and getting back home I watched extra time with my dad.

It still amazes me that we have not managed to win a major trophy since then so at least I'm glad to have been alive to witness it.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I find the current celebrations of this event a source of great embarrassment rather than pride. Fond memories for those from the time, yes, but the media really must stop making such a big deal of it now.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Anyone who watched it on TV at the time and remembers or knows - would I be right in thinking that Grandstand shared the world cup final in 1966 alongside coverage from The West Indies tour match at Glamorgan that day?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Anyone who watched it on TV at the time and remembers or knows - would I be right in thinking that Grandstand shared the world cup final in 1966 alongside coverage from The West Indies tour match at Glamorgan that day?

Maybe so but the match (and presentation) was shown in full so if there was, there wasn't much cricket on.

I couldn't understand why people were making such a big deal of it: I just took it for granted that England would win - I thought it was the natural order of things - how little I knew

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here