Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you close the transfer window now if you could?

Close the window or keep it open?

• Close - keep the players we have!

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • Leave open - worry for the next month...!

Votes: 28 48.3%

• Total voters

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
So, seeing all the speculation about Knockaert today, the ongoing contract uncertainty with Stephens and Kayal, the bids for Dunk/Stephens, I'm getting serious jitters.

So would you close the window now, meaning you keep all the players, but miss the chance to buy anyone else? Or would you keep the window open to the end, in the hope of buying a star striker but also leaving it open to players exiting?

Poll to follow.

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
I'd rather the window shuts before the season starts, but for the purpose of this poll, I'm going with keep it open to sign someone of the mustardy variety.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Close, we have enough to get going and our rivals are still to do some significant building. We should continue our form from last season but others are still uncertain.

As it stands we could win the league where as Newcastle and Villa will only improve their squads over the next month.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So, seeing all the speculation about Knockaert today, the ongoing contract uncertainty with Stephens and Kayal, the bids for Dunk/Stephens, I'm getting serious jitters.

So would you close the window now, meaning you keep all the players, but miss the chance to buy anyone else? Or would you keep the window open to the end, in the hope of buying a star striker but also leaving it open to players exiting?
I expect us to improve our squad, so keep it open please.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Close, we have enough to get going and our rivals are still to do some significant building.
I think the purpose of the poll was to gauge whether we'd stick with our squad now, or gamble on it getting better, not taking other clubs into account. Obviously stopping other clubs from doing business could be good, but I don't think we should take that into account.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I'd close it to stop the hysterical reactions to the possibility of a bloke who works for one company, moving to another company for a better contract - something that happens ALL THE TIME in most industries.

I'd keep it open to pray for the hysterical reaction when we sign players that will enhance the squad we've already got.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'd close it to stop the hysterical reactions to the possibility of a bloke who works for one company, moving to another company for a better contract - something that happens ALL THE TIME in most industries.

I'd keep it open to pray for the hysterical reaction when we sign players that will enhance the squad we've already got.

What a wonderful life it would be without emotion.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
The transfer window should be closed before the season starts, in my view. But it doesn't and there don't seem to be any signs that this will change.

So would I be happy with the squad as it currently is (ie short on a striker or two, and weak in central defence due to injuries), compared to what it could look like by the end of next month? No.

There's a big danger we might lose one or two key players over the next few weeks if the club get offered silly money, but I'd imagine our recruitment team are working hard to bring in people who strengthen us, while doing everything they can to hold on to our star assets.

As for the players, it's a tough call - if you were offered a job at the top level on much better money, you'd be tempted wouldn't you? Admittedly, past experience for our crew has been varied from pretty poor (see Bridcutt, Buckley), to reasonably good (Barnes) to excellent (Ulloa). Are our star assets' heads going to be in the right place if they are left thinking what might have been?

If we manage to hold on to Stephens, Kayal, Dunk and Knockaert, a lot will depend on how we're doing by Christmas or suitors could be back with their cheque books in January ...

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I expect we will strengthen yet with 2/3 more players.
I also expect no one will leave. TB has knocked back every bid so far and I think he will continue to do so.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Any one of Dunk, Stephens, Kayal or Knockaert leaving would be very very difficult to replace. More than one leaving would be a disaster. I'd close the window now and keep what we've got for sure, there are areas we could strengthen but the squad still looks strong overall. Sign Greer back on a free as defensive cover, job done.

I'd like to be confident none of those players will go but it feels a little ominous right now.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Any one of Dunk, Stephens, Kayal or Knockaert leaving would be very very difficult to replace. More than one leaving would be a disaster. I'd close the window now and keep what we've got for sure, there are areas we could strengthen but the squad still looks strong overall. Sign Greer back on a free as defensive cover, job done.

I'd like to be confident none of those players will go but it feels a little ominous right now.

Re the striker situation, we do have Harper and Hambo as wild cards. I truly feel one or both can break into the team and surprise a few people.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Re the striker situation, we do have Harper and Hambo as wild cards. I truly feel one or both can break into the team and surprise a few people.
It would be nice to see someone from the development squad actually develop into a first team player. But even just with the known quantities I'd say our options are not bad. Murray and Hemed are both proven goalscorers, Baldock isn't but he's still a useful player, and I actually think you could play Knockaert in the position Baldock played last season as a second striker and he could do as well or better - and we would still have excellent option on both wings.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Selling Ulloa and not replacing him properly set us back by a year or two, along with a poor summer transfer window almost cost us our position in the league. It's taken us almost 2 years to get a decent squad together after that awful selling spree and I don't think Bloom will risk it again.

We've signed some excellent additions to our squad in the past 12 months and a couple more will see us compete for the title, Bloom must realise this and not want to disrupt that. CH has done a great job in the transfer market and needs the backing to sign one or two more. This is our best chance to make the Premiership

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'm an optimist and I'll say keep it open to get numbers 12 & 21.

That's what I voted for. I would like it closed so Newcastle and Villa don't go on a spending spree.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It would be nice to see someone from the development squad actually develop into a first team player. But even just with the known quantities I'd say our options are not bad. Murray and Hemed are both proven goalscorers, Baldock isn't but he's still a useful player, and I actually think you could play Knockaert in the position Baldock played last season as a second striker and he could do as well or better - and we would still have excellent option on both wings.

I think Knockaert is the second striker we are looking for.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I haven't got a clue about what the club are doing behind the scenes but if it was Dunk and Stephens out / Duffy, Osman and Vydra + £7 million in then I could probably live with that.

No. Because I trust TB and CH and the recruitment team that they will do their very best to keep what we have and bring in improvements. I'm quite sure they won't let any of out better players go unless (a) the player wants to in which case we are better off if he goes, we don't want an unhappy player (or) be we get an offer that's too good to turn down AND the team are conviced they can use the money for at the very least a similar, or hopefully better, replacement.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whilst there's a lot of uncertainty right now I'd still rather be in our position than, say, Leeds who start the season without Sam Byram and Lewis Cook.

If ever they were going to compete this season then they would have needed to keep both of those, now they're facing mid-table obscurity.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Whilst there's a lot of uncertainty right now I'd still rather be in our position than, say, Leeds who start the season without Sam Byram and Lewis Cook.

If ever they were going to compete this season then they would have needed to keep both of those, now they're facing mid-table obscurity.

I thought Leeds were going down with Byram & Cook. Is Charlie Taylor any good?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here