Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Crystal meth' flakes are not what they seem

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
What a doughnut!!

Daniel Rushing probably won’t be eating Krispy Kreme doughnuts in his car any more.

The 64-year-old was arrested on drug charges when Orlando police officers spotted four tiny flakes of glaze on his floorboard and thought they were pieces of crystal methamphetamine, The Orlando Sentinel reports.

Cpl. Shelby Riggs-Hopkins wrote in an arrest report that during a traffic stop on 11 December she noticed the flakes on the floorboard. Two roadside drug tests were positive for the illegal substance and Rushing was arrested. But a state crime laboratory test cleared him several weeks later.

“It was incredible,” Rushing said. “It feels scary when you haven’t done anything wrong and get arrested ... It’s just a terrible feeling.”

It started on a Friday afternoon when Rushing dropped off a neighbor at a hospital for a weekly chemotherapy session. Then, he drove to a convenience store to pick up a friend who needed a ride home.

Riggs-Hopkins said she was staking out the area for drug activity. Rushing told her he had a concealed weapons permit, according to an arrest report. She asked him to step out of his car and noticed a “rock like substance” on the floorboard.

“I recognized through my eleven years of training and experience as a law enforcement officer the substance to be some sort of narcotic,” she wrote.

Rushing agreed to a vehicle search. “I didn’t have anything to hide,” he said. “I’ll never let anyone search my car again.”

Riggs-Hopkins and other officers spotted three other pieces of the substance.

“I kept telling them, ‘That’s ... glaze from a doughnut,” Rushing said.

He was charged with possession of methamphetamine with a firearm and spent 10 hours in jail before being released on bond.

The Florida’s law enforcement department told the newspaper that an analyst in its Orlando crime lab did not try to identify what police found in the car, only to determine whether it was an illegal drug. They determined it was not and three days after Rushing’s arrest the state attorney’s office dropped the charges.

Rushing, who retired after 25 years as an Orlando parks department employee, told the newspaper he had hired a lawyer and plans to sue the city because he was arrested “for no reason at all”.

Orlando police said in a statement that the arrest was lawful.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
At least they didn't shoot him.
He obviously wasn't black.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The most worrying thing about that story is

Two roadside drug tests were positive for the illegal substance and Rushing was arrested.

What kind of shit technology are they using there then?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Probably made by the same bloke that made those fake bomb detectors for Iraq.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Who was the copper? PC Penhale from Doc Martin? ???

No apology at the end of the statement. I hope he takes legal action and wins a fair amount of money.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Still don't understand why anyone would choose to eat Krispy Creme donuts. These things sit right at the top of a list of turd US gifts to the world. Even the greasiest of Asdas jam doughnuts are ten times better than these sugary lard balls and a fraction of the price. Why do these things even exist ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Still don't understand why anyone would choose to eat Krispy Creme donuts. These things sit right at the top of a list of turd US gifts to the world. Even the greasiest of Asdas jam doughnuts are ten times better than these sugary lard balls and a fraction of the price. Why do these things even exist ?
Agreed, overrated, overpriced and over here. Disgusting things.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Central Euro doughnuts are crap....but we have Marks & Spencers, and their jam doughnuts for 6kc a pop are one of the cities bargains!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

I assumed he had taken some drugs, not just the doughnuts. The fact that the substance they found was doughnut icing isn't proof he hadn't also had drugs.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Are roadside drug tests that rubbish then? If they tested you for alcohol and it was positive, then you've had alcohol.

Guess in this case they were.
They didnt test him. They tested the substance on the car floor that turned out to be krispy kreme topping and not cocaine, as first thought, and or meth when tested at a lab.
'In a statement to the paper, Orlando Police said the arrest was lawful but didn't explain why the two field tests were wrong'

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here