Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - should I upgrade to Windows 10? (Free upgrade offer expires tomorrow 29th July)

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I am curious whether I should upgrade to Windows 10 free of charge before tomorrow?

I am running a desktop with Windows 7 and currently have no performance issues etc.

I use it for browsing, email and storing photos etc. no gaming.

I also use Open Office to view and edit email attachments.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
What spec is your PC?

I'm on W7 here at work, I 'upgraded' a decent spec laptop here to Windows 10. It's painfully slow. The laptop is an i5 2.3GHz with 12GB ram. 64bit OS. It ran fine on W7.

I'm sure it'll be better if it was formatted and installed from fresh. As for the OS its self, it's a lot different from W7. I've not spent too much time with it as the laptop is frustratingly slow to use. It's like Server 2012, everything is hidden but a good search feature.

Looks pretty though but I'm happy to switch it off, ignore my W7 machine and use my Mac when I need to get stuff done.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you're waited this long probably not. if you have no reason to upgrade, the change it unlikely to give you any benefits and if you dont like it you are stuck.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No is the quick answer. Windows 10 is painfully slow and if you currently have no issues then don't change. IMHO Windows 10 is the worst O/S Microsoft have ever released.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Upgraded from win7 to 10 on the pc I am posting on last weekend and most pleased that I did . :)

Both printers working fine as is MS word and open office . Best thing is the documents folder now opens instantly rather then taking several mins to load .

As a bonus I was able to identify the cause of the machine crashing occasionally when cold as a faulty hard-drive . Now replaced .:):):)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I did yesterday but regretting it, apparently my graphics card won't get W10 drivers and it appears quite slow and not great. Don't use my PC much but I'll be rolling back / downgrading back to windows 7 and just get Windows 10 if I ever replace the machine, or replace with a Macbook.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I upgraded to Win 10 from 7, medium spec PC nothing fancy, works absolutely great. not slow at all. Glad I did.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not sure if relevant to the OP, but I have been told by IT in the office that my CISCO VPN Client will not work under W10, so as I WFH 2 days a week I won't be upgrading!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
What spec is your PC?

I'm on W7 here at work, I 'upgraded' a decent spec laptop here to Windows 10. It's painfully slow. The laptop is an i5 2.3GHz with 12GB ram. 64bit OS. It ran fine on W7.

I'm sure it'll be better if it was formatted and installed from fresh. As for the OS its self, it's a lot different from W7. I've not spent too much time with it as the laptop is frustratingly slow to use. It's like Server 2012, everything is hidden but a good search feature.

Looks pretty though but I'm happy to switch it off, ignore my W7 machine and use my Mac when I need to get stuff done.

With that spec laptop it should not be slow. I would suggest there are other issues and not the OS

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Not sure if relevant to the OP, but I have been told by IT in the office that my CISCO VPN Client will not work under W10, so as I WFH 2 days a week I won't be upgrading!

That's odd. We all had to upgrade last month and I have used CISCO VPN Client regularly since then with no issues. I don't find it slow either.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
I upgraded to windows 10 - didn't like but probably more about me and fear of change

Went thru the restoring procedure back to windows 7 - computer crashed - gave it to the IT geeks at work to recover - lost a lot of data programs etc

Still SERVERELY regretting my windows 10 experience

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
What we have done is taken a full backup of the machine. Upgraded to Windows 10, so it registers windows 10 to your device. Then restored back to windows 7. Now we can upgrade if and when we want as it is already registered with Microsoft and the time constraint is not an issue.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
Upgraded about month ago, absolutely no known issues as yet and wouldn't go back.

I also know people that have had no end of trouble and also those that had major issues when reverting back to 7... I think it's just the luck of the draw.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
That's odd. We all had to upgrade last month and I have used CISCO VPN Client regularly since then with no issues. I don't find it slow either.

Hm, our IT team are a bit odd to be fair. Might go for a second opinion. There are a few of us who WFH in the company so will check if any of them have upgraded.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I upgraded about three months ago, without too many problems. The only one I have, is that it doesn't talk to my wifi printer. I haven't found a solution to that as yet.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Everything works great and super snappy on my Win 8.1 machine with no stability issues or anything.

Given that extended support for 8.1 runs until 2023 (Win 10 runs a couple of years longer) I see no need to risk any problems by changing.

In 7 years time I'll be ready for a new PC anyway.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Ive been using w10 since beta testing and had no issues whatsoever. Not got a particularly fast laptop, quad core and about 4gb or ram, boots up in about 10 seconds, never crashes, I'd recommend it but that's just my opinion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
O/T - should I upgrade to Windows 10? (Free upgrade offer expires tomorrow 29th July)
Yes.
if you're waited this long probably not.
I can't see the logic there. I waited until this month because I wanted MS to have longer to iron out issues with W10.
if you have no reason to upgrade, the change it unlikely to give you any benefits and if you dont like it you are stuck.
The main reason to upgrade for me is was that W10 will be supported indefinitely, whereas support will end for W7. Take a copy of your existing OS and then upgrade. That's what I did, so I still have both.

No is the quick answer. Windows 10 is painfully slow and if you currently have no issues then don't change. IMHO Windows 10 is the worst O/S Microsoft have ever released.
That's complete nonsense. There have been some poor OSes from MS, and W10 isn't one of them. Speed wise it's fairly similar to W7, but it will probably get faster as drivers etc improve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here