Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Byron Burger - illegal workers

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Im moving into your house next week , I take it its not a problem ?

It's rather quick. I thought we might go on a few more dates first.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Im moving into your house next week , I take it its not a problem ?

Obviously it would only make sense if universally applied, but I think all people should have equal access to housing, etc., yes. This is why NIMBYism really gets my goat. Often people living in mansions bought for pittance complaining about some poky little houses being built on a piece of wasteland when youngsters (sometimes even their own children) have nowhere to live.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Obviously it would only make sense if universally applied, but I think all people should have equal access to housing, etc., yes. This is why NIMBYism really gets my goat. Often people living in mansions bought for pittance complaining about some poky little houses being built on a piece of wasteland when youngsters (sometimes even their own children) have nowhere to live.
Ahhh, the get out clause
Nimbyism gets your goat because you dont have a lot , wait for a few years until you DO have something to be concerned about, you'll be amazed how your attitude has changed.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ahhh, the get out clause
Nimbyism gets your goat because you dont have a lot , wait for a few years until you DO have something to be concerned about, you'll be amazed how your attitude has changed.

Nope, I disagree, I have a family and a lovely home which I own. I very much doubt my attitude will change.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
How can an illegal worker be classed as legitimate. It doesn't compute.
Because some people believe it doesn't matter where you are born, you should be able to live and work anywhere you like.

So countries like ours and other successful nations would be creaking at the seams. Freedom of movement gone mad.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Nope, I disagree, I have a family and a lovely home which I own. I very much doubt my attitude will change.
So then, as i said , im moving into your house next week, and according to your earlier post and the atttide it espoused , that wont be a problem.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When the rule of law ceased to apply you have chaos.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
May have posted this before, but I'll do it again.
My competitor employs illegals. £3.50 an hour, £100 fee to start work, paid two weeks in arrears, no pay when leaving (two weeks lost) and no holiday pay. I tried reporting him but no one is interested. Unions wont fight for the workers rights because they are illegal. Home Office couldn't care less. And the worse thing, I got inspected last year and even the inspectors weren't interested. Of course I passed 100%

This is modern day slavery in the UK and find it disgusting . The workers in the Byron case were exploited by their employer and desperate for work similarly to your competitor . There is a discussion about it on LBC this hour , give them a call
And let them know about your competitor .

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Perhaps fair access would be better - I am sure that you would not want equal access, if some dosser were able to acquire a house like yours, for which you had strived for years. Nimbyism always gets on people's goat, until they are faced with a dilemma themselves. Much as I wanted a fitting stadium for the Albion to be built, I found the survey saying that 68% of people wanting it to be built at Falmer rather hypocritical -how many of those Brighton citizens would have wanted it close to their house, with the consequent problems of noise, traffic and possible hooliganism.
Your last sentence is rather contrived -presumably to lend some credence; how many poky little houses are actually built by mansions?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Perhaps fair access would be better - I am sure that you would not want equal access, if some dosser were able to acquire a house like yours, for which you had strived for years. Nimbyism always gets on people's goat, until they are faced with a dilemma themselves. Much as I wanted a fitting stadium for the Albion to be built, I found the survey saying that 68% of people wanting it to be built at Falmer rather hypocritical -how many of those Brighton citizens would have wanted it close to their house, with the consequent problems of noise, traffic and possible hooliganism.
Your last sentence is rather contrived -presumably to lend some credence; how many poky little houses are actually built by mansions?
I had in mind the SAFE Rottingdean example, where 1/3rd of the previously undeveloped private school playing field is to be developed in exchange for the other 2/3rds becoming a public park for the first time ever. And I'd love to live next to the Amex.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
This is modern day slavery in the UK and find it disgusting . The workers in the Byron case were exploited by their employer and desperate for work similarly to your competitor . There is a discussion about it on LBC this hour , give them a call
And let them know about your competitor .

I am aware of harrowing cases of modern-day slavery in the restaurant industry, but none involving large chains.

How were the Byron workers exploited by their employer? They were paid at least the rate of the national minimum wage just like all the legal workers, but they used false documents to demonstrate their right to work in the UK. To a certain extent, I can understand people being annoyed at Byron for arranging a training day and then having the Border Force come in, but it's a damned sight better than having raids during opening hours. And Byron played this one by the book - it carried out the required checks, and reported any documents that looked fishy to the Border Force. Had it not done so, the fine is £20k per employee!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I had in mind the SAFE Rottingdean example, where 1/3rd of the previously undeveloped private school playing field is to be developed in exchange for the other 2/3rds becoming a public park for the first time ever. And I'd love to live next to the Amex.

They say Moulescoombe is lovely in summer, so move the family there and be close to the stadium . .

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It's considerably more expensive than newhaven for some reason so I couldn't.

Not sure if you are joking or not - depends on the status of Newhaven, I suppose! Hastings often gets lambasted as being a dump, and I think that might also be the case for Newhaven -is this a fair assessment of Newhaven? I do occasionally go through Newhaven to the Albion, and if I am honest, it does not look too good, but those living there may well have different and more realistic views on the town.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not sure if you are joking or not - depends on the status of Newhaven, I suppose! Hastings often gets lambasted as being a dump, and I think that might also be the case for Newhaven -is this a fair assessment of Newhaven? I do occasionally go through Newhaven to the Albion, and if I am honest, it does not look too good, but those living there may well have different and more realistic views on the town.

The town centre is a forgotten dump. Nothing wrong with the residential areas and the marina/ West Quay are lovely. Much like hastings really (in a much smaller way) nice bits and grotty bits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here