Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Byron Burger - illegal workers

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.te...of-workers-at-byron-burger/amp/?client=safari

Where do people stand on this? Some genuine disgust from various Greens / leftie types. While I kind of understand the concern as to how it was execute, the fact of the matter is they are people working on fake documents and without right to work?

I'd love to move to Aus to work but I wouldn't get a visa, there is no self entitlement to be able to work?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Bryon Burger didn't know they couldn't work legally . Yeah right pull the other one.

You have to be firm here and send out a clear message that working illegal won't be tolerated in the UK. Need to get a grip on this stuff now.

Not like this pillock.

“It is f****** disgusting. Some of these people worked here for four or five years and they weren’t even given a chance to say goodbye,” a worker told the Guardian.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
This partly explains why so many migrants are desperate to get here. The grapevine tells them there are next to no controls once you are here, you'll get a job no problem and there is next to no enforcement.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Who provided the 'false or counterfeit' documentation? The workers themselves or someone else?

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Who provided the 'false or counterfeit' documentation? The workers themselves or someone else?

I'm not sure but I once worked for a company that employed a lot of immigrants, mainly Lithuanians except they weren't. The majority of them were Russians who had obtained false documents in Lithuania such as birth certificates etc then been granted a Lithuanian passport and come here as an EU migrant. There was a big crack down on it and a lot of people got deported.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What grates is that it's the workers who get shafted here but I am not seeing any punishment for the employers? Who is breaking the law here? The workers or the bosses.

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm not sure but I once worked for a company that employed a lot of immigrants, mainly Lithuanians except they weren't. The majority of them were Russians who had obtained false documents in Lithuania such as birth certificates etc then been granted a Lithuanian passport and come here as an EU migrant. There was a big crack down on it and a lot of people got deported.

This highlights everything that is wrong with free movement from the EU, nobody accounts for the numbers of fraudulent passports obtained from other countries, which as you say then gives people access to the UK. One system needed for all, identity cards should be issued. No identity card, then you shouldn't be in the country, simple as that. How hard is it?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I've heard of other instances like that, such as Moldovans falsely claiming Romanian ancestry and getting and Romanian passport. It would be interesting to actually know where these Albanian, Brazilian, Nepali and Egyptian workers got their documentation from, whether they obtained it here in The UK or elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 22389

What grates is that it's the workers who get shafted here but I am not seeing any punishment for the employers? Who is breaking the law here? The workers or the bosses.

May be the employers where going to get a heavy fine and had no alternative. Appears the company didn't check the individuals, and the employees where not 100% truthful about their status.

Last edited by a moderator:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
May be the employers where going to get a heavy fine and had no alternative. Appears the company didn't check the individuals, and the employees where not 100% truthful about their status.

The article does state:
the burger business carried out the correct "right to work" checks on staff members, but had been shown false or counterfeit documentation, and will therefore not face civil penalty action, the Home Office said.

The guidelines are below:

https://www.gov.uk/check-job-applicant-right-to-work

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I don't get the outrage here, they were here illegally, they can't complain when they get found out.

Some blame has to be put on the employer, it's not like they've weeded out one or two illegal workers, there is something wrong with their recruitment process if this can happen over and over again.

Their burgers are also overrated expensive shite.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.te...of-workers-at-byron-burger/amp/?client=safari

Where do people stand on this? Some genuine disgust from various Greens / leftie types. While I kind of understand the concern as to how it was execute, the fact of the matter is they are people working on fake documents and without right to work?

I'd love to move to Aus to work but I wouldn't get a visa, there is no self entitlement to be able to work?

I'd love to know how worrying deeply about the future of the earth's inhabitants due to the unsustainable exploitation of resources relates to this story.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This highlights everything that is wrong with free movement from the EU, nobody accounts for the numbers of fraudulent passports obtained from other countries, which as you say then gives people access to the UK. One system needed for all, identity cards should be issued. No identity card, then you shouldn't be in the country, simple as that. How hard is it?

If passports can be forged, so can ID cards.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

both.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
May have posted this before, but I'll do it again.
My competitor employs illegals. £3.50 an hour, £100 fee to start work, paid two weeks in arrears, no pay when leaving (two weeks lost) and no holiday pay. I tried reporting him but no one is interested. Unions wont fight for the workers rights because they are illegal. Home Office couldn't care less. And the worse thing, I got inspected last year and even the inspectors weren't interested. Of course I passed 100%

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
May have posted this before, but I'll do it again.
My competitor employs illegals. £3.50 an hour, £100 fee to start work, paid two weeks in arrears, no pay when leaving (two weeks lost) and no holiday pay. I tried reporting him but no one is interested. Unions wont fight for the workers rights because they are illegal. Home Office couldn't care less. And the worse thing, I got inspected last year and even the inspectors weren't interested. Of course I passed 100%

As long as you have reported them to the correct authorities, then take the case to your MP. Tell him/her that if action is not taken then you will go to the media. Get everything in writing.

These illegals are keeping legitimate workers out of jobs.

https://www.gov.uk/report-immigration-crime <<<<<

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Bryon Burger didn't know they couldn't work legally . Yeah right pull the other one.

You have to be firm here and send out a clear message that working illegal won't be tolerated in the UK. Need to get a grip on this stuff now.

Not like this pillock.

“It is f****** disgusting. Some of these people worked here for four or five years and they weren’t even given a chance to say goodbye,” a worker told the Guardian.

Totally agree Spence.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not sure but I once worked for a company that employed a lot of immigrants, mainly Lithuanians except they weren't. The majority of them were Russians who had obtained false documents in Lithuania such as birth certificates etc then been granted a Lithuanian passport and come here as an EU migrant.
Russians are obtaining fake passports through EU countries like Romania.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here