Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby trains

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Looking at trains for Derby.I looked a couple of weeks ago & you could get there for about £60 in advance.
Had another look tonight & it is now £90 in advance.
I'm now looking at splitting the journey via Leicester where you can do it for about £60.
Does anybody have any other ideas how to make it cheaper.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Split the journey Sussex to Victoria and St P to Derby. Although I must admit I can concerned that if southern play up it'll cause problems missing the St P train. Think my ticket was about £45 return

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Split the journey Sussex to Victoria and St P to Derby. Although I must admit I can concerned that if southern play up it'll cause problems missing the St P train. Think my ticket was about £45 return

Thanks for the info.Its cheaper than Brighton to Derby but it's still cheaper to go Brighton - Leicester - Derby.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We did it very cheaply once by going Brighton to Luton on FCC, then from Luton to Luton Airport, then on to Derby. We bought separate tickets and used a group saving ticket for the Brighton-Luton leg, seem to remember it worked out about £26 each on the day.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Groupsave tickets save a third from Luton to Derby, needs to be three adults minimum. And a Network Railcard makes it £12.30 return for the train from Brighton to Luton

Last edited:

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
We did it very cheaply once by going Brighton to Luton on FCC, then from Luton to Luton Airport, then on to Derby. We bought separate tickets and used a group saving ticket for the Brighton-Luton leg, seem to remember it worked out about £26 each on the day.

How long did that journey take.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Mate of mine organising our train tickets mentioned going via Brum is cheap. Don't know any further details on that one as I'm not doing it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
How long did that journey take.

3.5 or 4 hours IIRC, several beers, and a card game soon whiled away the trip. I remember it now, it was the first game of the season that year too.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
3.5 or 4 hours IIRC, several beers, and a card game soon whiled away the trip. I remember it now, it was the first game of the season that year too.

mmmm I remember it, the day a Dean Hammond equaliser cancelled out a Paul Peschisolido goal, (or was it the other way around?)

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
If anyone else is travelling from Leeds on the train, off peak returns split at Sheffield are the cheapest way, even cheaper than advance singles.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

you can miss out the Luton bit and go straight to Luton airport

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here