Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Based on the Oxford game I think it will take Houghton some time to find his best side

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I suspect we'll start with the same xi (except Stephens) against Derby, and probably for the first few games. If we do I think we'll have about 6 points from 5 games. However I was very impressed with the pace and movement from the subs last night and I believe once we embed some of those into the team we'll take off. This probably won't happen until September though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I honestly don't know if some people are being ironic / deliberate with Hughtons name now, like we are with Salde.

Its irony overload on here sometimes.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I honestly don't know if some people are being ironic / deliberate with Hughtons name now, like we are with Salde.

Its irony overload on here sometimes.

Sorry - my spell check wasn't working. Interesting that none of the comments were related to the post.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think it will take Hughton anytime at all to find his best side. Much the same as last season except with Murray instead of Baldock or Hemed or possibly both, with Murray to augmented by another proper goal scorer.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I would rather we had Hemed upfront over Murray.

Last night Tomer looked much more likely to score (and did twice) in a shorter time on the pitch

Also as a pointer - I usually remember to spell Chris' name by thinking I would like to give him a hug

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I suspect we'll start with the same xi (except Stephens) against Derby, and probably for the first few games. If we do I think we'll have about 6 points from 5 games. However I was very impressed with the pace and movement from the subs last night and I believe once we embed some of those into the team we'll take off. This probably won't happen until September though.

So a slightly strengthened team from last season (89 points, top scorers) will be in the bottom 6 or thereabouts after playing Forest, Derby, Rotherham, Newcastle and Reading. ?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hemed for Baldock and the starting team last night will do damage to everyone at this level. Skalak is the assists King, Knockers speaks for himself and the whole team has balance to it, with options to change it from the bench as required. Who was it having a cry about the "state" of the squad?...

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Based on some of the thread titles, I think it will take NSC some time to find the correct spelling of our manager's name.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Was always totally against a Hemed and Murray strike force, however, with Knockaert and Skalak I think it could work. It'll certainly get more goals than a Murray or Hemed and Baldock pairing. Once we get our new pact striker we'll need to pick which big man is more effective.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Last night Tomer looked much more likely to score (and did twice) in a shorter time on the pitch

Also as a pointer - I usually remember to spell Chris' name by thinking I would like to give him a hug

I tend to remember Chris's name by remembering his name. But I certainly want Tomer in the side because he is a proven scorer now at this level and takes a good penalty.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the team picks itself: 1. Stockdale. 2. Bruno. 3. Bong. 4. Goldson. 5. Dunk. 6. Kayal. 7. Stephens. 8. Knockaert. 9. Baldock. 10. Hemed 11. Skalak.

I see Murray as replacement for Bobby and back-up to Hemed.

That said, we know that Hemed + Baldock = insufficient goals and Hemed + Murray = immobile. It will be interesting to see Murray + Baldock but I doubt whether that combo is going to suddenly make Baldock into a 12-14 goals a season man but who knows?

I still think Vydra is a great fit, he'd be an upgrade on Baldock and work well alongside either Murray or Hemed.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think the team picks itself: 1. Stockdale. 2. Bruno. 3. Bong. 4. Goldson. 5. Dunk. 6. Kayal. 7. Stephens. 8. Knockaert. 9. Baldock. 10. Hemed 11. Skalak.

I see Murray as replacement for Bobby and back-up to Hemed.

That said, we know that Hemed + Baldock = insufficient goals and Hemed + Murray = immobile. It will be interesting to see Murray + Baldock but I doubt whether that combo is going to suddenly make Baldock into a 12-14 goals a season man but who knows?

I still think Vydra is a great fit, he'd be an upgrade on Baldock and work well alongside either Murray or Hemed.

Picks itself? Hmmmm?

Starting with Derby it seems likely that we will be without Goldson and we will definitely be without Stephens.
Murray will probably start if only for his defensive value at set pieces (where we have been weak). Hemed scores goals (and can take penalties).
After his performance in the second half yesterday Murphy must be in the frame to contest a place with Skalak. Indeed if we weren't so short at the back I would consider starting Rosenior ahead of either on the left to add some depth to midfield where we will otherwise be outnumbered. Could be a start for Ince?
Far from the side picking itself in my view.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Yeah I call him shagton.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here