Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup to trial allowing a 4th substitute

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
What a waste of time. I'm sure there was an expensively assembled advisory board formed and this was the best they could come up with.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
From the Quarter Finals stage onward - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36904466

What do we think?

I think it just further allows the bigger teams to exploit the strengths of their squads.

Substitutes should be primarily to replace injured players. That is the principle function. Then we added the ability to have 3 subs from a possible naming of 5 to cover various positions.

3 should be the limit for 90mins.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think it just further allows the bigger teams to exploit the strengths of their squads.

Substitutes should be primarily to replace injured players. That is the principle function. Then we added the ability to have 3 subs from a possible naming of 5 to cover various positions.

3 should be the limit for 90mins.

Which is what I thought. A case of looking out for the teams going for The Premier League title and in latter stages of European competition etc.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, not for me. Friendly internationals are frequently ruined by mass substitutions - don't want any other football to go that same way.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
The FA Cup used for an experiment? Further devaluing the competition IMO. Couldn't they try this in the FA Vase or something?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I can see the logic for having 4 subs within the modern game,ultimately it's not for me either......

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No subs be better and more chance for the lower league team.

Some non football executive obviously come up with this to justify his millions

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Too late now, we needed it at Hillsborough.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Not needed. There is no way, for example, a team would have four injuries that required substitutions in one match.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Another win for the bigger teams? Why introduce it in the quarters and why only in extra time?

Presumably because it is replays, so it is in fact covering the potential for a 120 minute game.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So I assume we're now bound to get to the FA Cup Quarter Final for the first time in donkeys this season and end up with five injuries in the first ten minutes. Great.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Utterly stupid idea, will just be used to run the clock down. You shouldn't be allowed to change more than a THIRD of the team in any game.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
On a slightly different subject, teams in the Eredivisie will be allowed to name 12 substitutes this season.

Can still only use 3, but more to choose from. Logic is that it will help develop young players. I can't see how having a whole team on the bench, with 9 of them not getting a kick is going to improve the game.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here