Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plumbing Advice re Tap Pressure

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Hi all,

Got a weird situation with just one tap at home where the pressure when turned on is very variable. Its a single lever basin tap and when turned fully to cold it either comes out as normal or a dribble. Its the furthest tap from where it comes into the house but its been fine until last two weeks. We've had some decorating done but not in any rooms near this tap so at a loss as to why only this one is affected and can't see a leak anywhere.

Any suggestions on the cause? We've checked the cold water tank thats in the loft but that seems to be fine though it is very hot up there thanks to our lovely recent weather.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any advice before I called in a plumber!

Thanks in advance,

Z

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hi all,

Got a weird situation with just one tap at home where the pressure when turned on is very variable.
Yeah well what you've got there's is variable pressure isn't it.
Its a single lever basin tap and when turned fully to cold it either comes out as normal or a dribble.
Well of course it does, it's single lever.
Its the furthest tap from where it comes into the house but its been fine until last two weeks. We've had some decorating done but not in any rooms near this tap so at a loss as to why only this one is affected and can't see a leak anywhere.
Well no you wouldn't would you, it's not leaking see.

Hope that helps.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Have you got a tank in the roof and hot water on gravity?

If so maybe air locked, so water will run for a bit then slow down.

If you have a monobloc tap, open the hot until slows down then put your hand over the spout then grip like fvck and open the cold tap. What this does is send cold water back up the hot to the tank , thus getting rid of any air locks.
Do this at the kitchen tap if possible as this is the only place to guarantee mains pressure. If you haven't got a monobloc tap at the kitchen then run a hose from the mains up any hot pipe.
Or if you messed about with the tank and something has dropped in, piece of lagging etc , this could have made its way down to said tap, causing it to block.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks for all the helpful and funny replies!

Have you got a tank in the roof and hot water on gravity?

The tank in the roof is only for cold water and the hot water isn't on gravity as far as I know but we'll try what you suggest and see if it is air in the pipe somehow. The pressure is usually either fine or not fine it doesn't vary from when you turn the tap on (i.e. start good and then get worse). Running the hot from the same tap seems to be fine pressure-wise its only the cold we've noticed a problem with but will check it all out later.

Thanks again!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Thanks for all the helpful and funny replies!

The tank in the roof is only for cold water and the hot water isn't on gravity as far as I know but we'll try what you suggest and see if it is air in the pipe somehow. The pressure is usually either fine or not fine it doesn't vary from when you turn the tap on (i.e. start good and then get worse). Running the hot from the same tap seems to be fine pressure-wise its only the cold we've noticed a problem with but will check it all out later.

Thanks again!

Do you have isolating valves on the pipes that supply the basin tap? Under the basin I mean.

If you have a hot water cylinder the cold water tank will also supply this, not that it matters here though, just commenting on what you have said above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here