Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hastings Old Town - very impressed

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I had no idea Hastings had such a lovely area as the old town part. Walked around there today: the High Street, All Saints Street, Tackleway, the quaint twittens running between those two, Croft Rd, Hill St, West Hill. The Old Town is certainly the most attractive urban area in Sussex in my opinion with interesting shops, cafes and pubs in the High Street. I was amazed. The rest of Hastings though is nothing to write home about.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I had no idea Hastings had such a lovely area as the old town part. Walked around there today: the High Street, All Saints Street, Tackleway, the quaint twittens running between those two, Croft Rd, Hill St, West Hill. The Old Town is certainly the most attractive urban area in Sussex in my opinion with interesting shops, cafes and pubs in the High Street. I was amazed. The rest of Hastings though is nothing to write home about.
You are very right there goldstone.
Hastings used to be a lovely place, growing up as a yoof.
All those days in the summer, spending my pocket money in the slot arcades, mucking about on the boating lake and playing crazy golf or pitch and put.
I remember the clock tower actually working.
You should go for a walk along fire hills towards Fairlight.
As you've said the old town is fantastic, you should try Porters Wine Bar.
The rest, well :sick:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You are very right there goldstone.
Hastings used to be a lovely place, growing up as a yoof.
All those days in the summer, spending my pocket money in the slot arcades, mucking about on the boating lake and playing crazy golf or pitch and put.
I remember the clock tower actually working.
You should go for a walk along fire hills towards Fairlight.
As you've said the old town is fantastic, you should try Porters Wine Bar.
The rest, well :sick:

Done the walk to Fairlight and beyond. Most enjoyable.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne

Was there last Thursday with some visitors and agree completely. Had a great seafood lunch at Webbes, pottered about a bit and overall thought it knocked Eastbourne into a cooked hat.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As someone who was born in Hastings and grew up in the area and live in the area again I agree with all comments made so far. Hastings old town is fantastic.

The Dolphin, The Crown, and The F.I.L.O are the best 3 pubs.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Being from T Wells I have very fond memories of Hastings.
I have always liked the Old Town.
As previously said the boating lake and railway as a kid.
The sound of the arcades, the smells of waffles, doughnuts, rock and candy floss not to mention fish & chips.
We used to go in an old pub in a street that ran behind the seafront but can't remember it's name, probably still there as it must have been listed.
As much as Hastings has gone down the pan it's great to remember jumping on the train with your mates and having fun.

TerryT

Jun 14, 2011
Being from T Wells I have very fond memories of Hastings.
I have always liked the Old Town.
As previously said the boating lake and railway as a kid.
The sound of the arcades, the smells of waffles, doughnuts, rock and candy floss not to mention fish & chips.
We used to go in an old pub in a street that ran behind the seafront but can't remember it's name, probably still there as it must have been listed.
As much as Hastings has gone down the pan it's great to remember jumping on the train with your mates and having fun.
Old Pump House in George Street

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Tapatalk

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Having spent my life between the ages of one and nineteen living in the Old Town, it is a nice area generally. Good pubs (I lived in The Stag for about ten of the years I was there as my parents ran it, and in the Cinque Ports before that), reasonably quiet, and a good community atmosphere for the most part.

The new pier's good too, but the entire rest of the town is fairly terrible. Some effort has been made to revamp the Town Centre, which has made that area a bit better, but it's still not great all around, and once you get inland a bit it goes downhill rapidly.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Hastings Arms and The Anchor are two more pretty decent pubs to add into the mix. Loads going on in the Old Town - live music most nights in one or more of the many pubs. Good choice of beers as well.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Lovely area for a stroll and for a pint or two. Always start at the Jenny Lind. Sorry to see the number of Shepherd Neame pubs there now (including the Anchor, the Hastings Arms and The Stag).

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes, completely agree with your estimation of the Old Town, which thrilled me when I first came to Hastings 14 years ago and still does - in fact I spent a most enjoyable 30 minutes this morning at the West Hill café overlooking the Old Town with its magnificent views of the sea as well. The area is the undoubted jewel in the crown and surely must be one of the most picturesque parts of Sussex. The walk through the Country Park to Fairlight is also well worth doing for the views, but you have to be fit.
I wish you had not ended your eulogy as you did, because this is most unfair, and I suspect, not terribly well researched. No one would dispute that some of the housing estates in the Ore area as well as Hollington leave something to be desired, but there are some lovely spots in the town as well. Alexandra Park, St Helens, top end of Braybrooke, much of the areas around the Ridge, most of West St leonards - all compare favourably with other areas of Sussex.
After Albion matches I invariably walk back to Mithras house, through Moulescoombe and then the flats on the other side of the Lewes Road, but would not judge Brighton on those housing areas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here