Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] GoPros (and equivalents)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyone know much about GoPros and the like?

I'm contemplating a purchase for holiday usage - something that can handle rough and tumble and underwater etc.

I'd also probably use it when mountain biking.

There are a few different models and prices, what should I look at?

I'm also aware there are several GoPro-a-likes that are significantly cheaper. Are any worthy of consideration or will I just be disappointed with the results? I'd rather pay more for better quality, I think. Do the non GoPros have a decent range of accessories or are they built to the same size as a GoPro in order that GoPro accessories will work with them too?

Thanks, as ever.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I bough an SJCam knock off which was been absolutely spot on for me, I use when swimming and snorkling when on holiday and then attached the bike on the occasional bike ride and its been great. Got it for about £50 with a spare battery.

This is the amazon link which is a bit more expensive than I paid but still excellent value

http://amzn.to/2a62Z9d

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Got go pro hero 4 silver edition.

Just used it on holiday doing scuba playing in sea etc.
Very good quality.

Highly recommended

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
GoPro is king, especially when mountain biking. Going from dark/light through trees usually throws off cheaper models. I have heard good things about the TomTom one, gives some geeky overlays for GPS data, speed etc.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
the wife bought me a go pro hero4 session . They've just been discounted . about £160 now I think . its tiny ! little cube that you stick on your helmet ! will take it on holiday to Croatia next week and see what I can do with it . were off to new Zealand permanently in October too so should be loads to there with it. footage looks good

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I went cheap (like £30) equvalent. It all works fine for the purpose i wanted it for, and is perfectly robust and easy to use. But there is definitely a very big difference in quality of the results compared with what i have seen from a GoPro.

So if you care about quality, pay up!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Serious question but do people actually watch what they record much? I've seen more people at festivals using these now and I just can't imagine the footage is any good. Same doing activities, surely it is all over the place?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here